Liked: 11

Default Looking at a pair of projects

Spent some time over the summer looking at FV and looking into getting a car. Had to pursue some other adventures for a bit but now with winter on the way things are slowing. I missed out on a Kenny Brown built FV with extra engine that got sold for $2200!!! Just saw the ad too late. I have a possible deal on not one but two FV both need a fair amount of work. The seller has some drivetrain parts but I will need motors and gauges. One is in better shape then the other so I would start there. It was stored away in a body shop for some time before being dug out. He is willing to build me a jig so I can store the cars stacked and save space and also get both onto a trailer at the same time.

What will motors cost me? These may be over me head but I think there are some local guys that would be willing to help me out with knowledge. I know of at least one shop locally near where I work that has worked on FV and Indy Lights cars. Another runs ARCA and couple of guys at an Indy team told me in the past they could maybe give me tips.

These would be sight unseen but for the price if I can get them here I am thinking it is worth a shot...

I am planning to start with solo SCCA races.

Contributing Member
    Liked: 482

Without seeing pictures of what they are, it is tough to make a recommendation.
    If you decide to buy them, make sure you get a log book if you want to do more that solo.

Many on this site will say it is better to buy a complete running car for your first FV as you can easily spend more rebuilding a basket case.

I believe Solo Vees run 1600 engines, and that might be easier to start with rather than buying a Race ready 1200 engine.

This time of year seems a good time to buy and many of the cars on this site are great buys.

You might even get approached by this thread with offers.

Good luck and let us know if you have more questions.

Chris Z
    Citation 93V

Oneofthe cars,the one needing more work is a 1964 to 1965 Autodynamics. Looks like the body and suspension is there for both. No log books. The Auto Dynamics car was in Richmond, Va for 35 years.

Liked: 956

Quote Originally Posted by G.Rossman View Post
    Oneofthe cars,the one needing more work is a 1964 to 1965 Autodynamics. Looks like the body and suspension is there for both. No log books. The Auto Dynamics car was in Richmond, Va for 35 years.
    The SCCA did not issue log books until 1972, so no worries about the log book. If there are photos and race results of the car from back in the day, they help the value and provenance for vintage racing.
    “Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty.” -Peter Egan

Liked: 67

Default projects

I was looking at a project a while ago and I ended up buying it because it was so cheap. After looking at the classifieds and figuring out what it would cost to buy just the major parts I found out I could buy a complete car that runs. Read the thread here http://www.apexspeed.com/forums/showthread.php?t=64233
    I still bought a car that needed work but was complete and runs for less then what a used engine would have cost

Amherst, New York but i left my heart in San Francisco
    Liked: 292

sometimes its cheaper to buy a more expensive car
    Last edited by provamo; 10.17.14 at 9:06 AM.

7. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 857

Phil,
    The car (s) you are looking at are VERY OLD vintage vees that would never be appropriate to compete in current scca racing. Only for vintage. There are quite a few GOOD deals out there that would be a much more logical purchase if your ultimate goal is to actually RACE.
    Suggest you pursue this purchase ONLY if your goal is puttering in the shop and maybe a little autocross....or RESTORING one or both for profit or history.
    Steve, FV80
    Racing since '73 - FV since '77

Contributing Member
    Liked: 86

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Davis View Post
    .or RESTORING one or both for profit or history.
    I'd like to see the economics on that!
    Matt King
    FV19 Citation XTC-41
    CenDiv-Milwaukee
    KEEP THE KINK!

Liked: 88

Default Project cars

Read my post #5 in this previous thread. If you really want to race the cars there are far better/ less expensive options.

Unless a car is crazy cheap, or you have a good race engine, I never advise someone to buy a car without a decent engine.

http://www.apexspeed.com/forums/showthread.php?t=64233

Larry Campbell
    Campbell Motorsport

Sorry, when I said SCCA I meant autocross. All I can do at this point without my track license.

Liked: 67

Autocross is completely different. I brought my vee to a couple of autocross events this year. As long as the wheels we're not falling off when it was in tech you we're good to go. There's rules if you want to run solo vee but if your just looking for fun put any cheap vw engine you can find (junk yard or craigslist) on it. buy a safe but cheap aluminum or plastic racing fuel cell and run it. Gauges can be cheap if you buy mechanical from your local auto store. Less then $20 each for temp and pressure gauge you won't have time to look at any of them while running a solo course anyway.
    I have limited experience because I only just bought one myself but from what I know if you want to do club racing there's plenty of well prepped cars around that will save you money in the long run.

13. The following members LIKED this post:

Well I passed on the pair of cars. They sold to someone else as of yesterday. With neither having a motor I felt like I would be out a bundle of money just getting engines let alone making sure they ran correctly. I see a total basket case on ebay right now, wow they want a lot for it too. I will keep eye balling various sites and see what pops up. Budget is small right now.

Liked: 305

When I decided to get back into FV, I still had my old car. It would not be a competitive car in modern club racing but I thought I would start by putting it together. After adding up the cost of the required parts to bring it into the modern era (fuel cell, fire system) and add an engine it quickly became apparent I would be better off purchasing a used car. That is what I did.

16. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 145

Run (as fast as you can) from that Vee on eBay. I doubt there is one single part that would be of value to anyone. What's there is questionable, and looks like it has sat outside for a very long time. Something will pop up, and it usually isn't on eBay. Keep looking here. I've seen several good values in the past year.

Liked: 51

Default eBay...yes and no.

Quote Originally Posted by Agitator View Post
    Run (as fast as you can) from that Vee on eBay. I doubt there is one single part that would be of value to anyone. What's there is questionable, and looks like it has sat outside for a very long time. Something will pop up, and it usually isn't on eBay. Keep looking here. I've seen several good values in the past year.
    I think I was lucky with an eBay purchase for $3100 not too long ago....I placed a bid and it closed on what I believed was a gr8 price. The BRD(Blue) clone raced in both the US and Canada and seems to have a decent engine(Autowerke as per invoices I got with the car) with log book and numerous spares. My Mysterian was three times the price but hassle free.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BRD.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	130.8 KB 
ID:	50723   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mysterian.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	101.1 KB 
ID:	50724  

19. The following members LIKED this post:

Thread Information