Liked: 12

Default QA1 Shocks - 82 Series

Has anyone recently tried the QA1 82 series shocks on a formula vee?

https://www.qa1.net/circle-track/sus...-series-shocks

They sell a tuning kit which allows for re-valving. They are reasonably priced ~$180 each.

Just looking for a lower cost alternative to the Penskes.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

Contributing Member
    Liked: 148

I have used QA1 shocks on the front of a vee.
    tried to match Penske blacks without much luck
    Fred Clark at Caracal cars has done some work
    with them also
    JRI shocks in Morresville NC has a lots of Dyno
    data on vee shocks . The maybe able to
    put a package together.
    There are several threads on using Snowmobile
    shocks on the front of a vee.
    I have found and matched Penske reds
    going that route for around $300.
    On the rear, hard to beat a penske, maybe an old Fox Shock
    with Penske valving,

Thanks! That is the kind of info I am looking for. No point in trying to do something that can't be done. I have a Penske rear so looking for a front solution. I am in this for the build and the racing so this is fun for me. Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by veeten View Post
    I have used QA1 shocks on the front of a vee.
    tried to match Penske blacks without much luck
    Fred Clark at Caracal cars has done some work
    with them also
    JRI shocks in Morresville NC has a lots of Dyno
    data on vee shocks . The maybe able to
    put a package together.
    There are several threads on using Snowmobile
    shocks on the front of a vee.
    I have found and matched Penske reds
    going that route for around $300.
    On the rear, hard to beat a penske, maybe an old Fox Shock
    with Penske valving,

Contributing Member
    Liked: 3

Quote Originally Posted by nrider42 View Post
    Has anyone recently tried the QA1 82 series shocks on a formula vee?

https://www.qa1.net/circle-track/sus...-series-shocks

They sell a tuning kit which allows for re-valving. They are reasonably priced ~$180 each.

Just looking for a lower cost alternative to the Penskes.

Thoughts?

Thanks!
    I've used them for a few years, and have the kit, and had a local motorcycle race shop revalve them. They're ok, ,they aren't gas charged. I think they might be the reason for my car's handling to go away towards the end of a 20+ minute session. I've been shopping for Penske's to replace them.

Contributing Member
    Liked: 290

82 Series is twin tube. No gas charge is required to control aeration.

These shocks can be valved to work fine in a FV. The key is to know what valving is required to satisfy your car/driver combination. Chance are you have no clue what you want.

Generally you change something in hopes of solving some kind of handling issue. Just because you are slow does not mean the front shocks are going to solve anything. You have to narrow down your focus of what might be effecting your car's handling.

I have many sets of shocks and a shock dyno that allow me to test all kinds of valving combinations. I personally feel that shocks are not that important when it comes to FV chassis setup. If you have no idea what you need, just go with a shock and valving from a well know FV shock provider. Then at least you know you are on the same plain as most of your competitors.

Brian

6. The following 2 users liked this post:

Me..."Have no clue..."...haha...true enough. I have never even driven the car...I am rebuilding a protoform and am shopping for the first set of shocks. I have a lot of time racing tin tops and have learned to value good dampers. The Penskes are the only vee specific racing shock I know of which I can purchase new. There is plenty of information out there but it seems to all pertain to parts which are no longer available. "Just buy the Penskes" is the easy answer but I wanted to explore the options.

Quote Originally Posted by Hardingfv32 View Post
    82 Series is twin tube. No gas charge is required to control aeration.

These shocks can be valved to work fine in a FV. The key is to know what valving is required to satisfy your car/driver combination. Chance are you have no clue what you want.

Generally you change something in hopes of solving some kind of handling issue. Just because you are slow does not mean the front shocks are going to solve anything. You have to narrow down your focus of what might be effecting your car's handling.

I have many sets of shocks and a shock dyno that allow me to test all kinds of valving combinations. I personally feel that shocks are not that important when it comes to FV chassis setup. If you have no idea what you need, just go with a shock and valving from a well know FV shock provider. Then at least you know you are on the same plain as most of your competitors.

Brian

8. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 6

I bought a set of these a few years ago. At the time I spoke to one of their techs. He mentioned that these were a continuation of a Carerra shock and recalled the valving that was spec'd for Vees. According to him this was 2 for both compression and rebound (on their scale of 1-5). This seemed too stiff. I've disassembled them and changed the discs a couple times. I now have them set up with 1 compression and 2 for rebound and they seem to be working well on my Challenge Cup car.

10. The following members LIKED this post:

Default QA1 Tech Manual

If anyone needs the tech manual for these (seems to have been removed from their website), I can send a PDF if you PM me with an email address.

/Tim

12. The following members LIKED this post:

The other thing I'll mention is that if you do buy these, I believe you can specify whichever valving you'd like. The higher numerical valving uses a larger number of shims, but reducing the valving would only require removing some shims so you could avoid the cost of their kit if you purchase them with heavier specs than you think you'll need.

Thread Information