Liked: 3

Default Cal Club Archive info and locating former FF drivers

OK group now is your chance to shine!! I am restoring a 1969 ish LeGrand MK10 FF to use in vintage racing here on the West Coast. I knew very little about the history of the car, only that it was owned around 1990 by Don McGreevy in the Eureka area. Don claims that he got the car from a Dennis Orchid, or some similar last name. Havent tracked him down yet but he is thought to be connected with Huffaker. Now just discovered that the old hoop had a Cal Club stamp, 19 1035. Contacted Allan Coy who does some of the CC archives, the said the info he has starts with 19 1212. Ron Pohl responded to a forum request and mentioned three LeGrand drivers from that period. Cris Hoff and Walt Candy (both may have owed the same MK10) and Alan Holly. Alan is alive and well and hopes to have his original MK10 out sometime this year for vintage racing. So..........anyone know where Hoff or Candy might be after, say 40 plus years?? Also any other ideas on who might have Cal Club info rat holed. Have also contacted Al James who does the LeGrand Registry. No luck on past history there. Lets see who can remember 40 plus years ago........I have difficulty with last week.

Mike Summers
    Sacramento

Liked: 0

Default If you are going in - go deep 1965 LeGrand FC

Mike and other old formula car fools
    I am working on a 1965 LeGrand Formula C and need a few parts and some history too. It is a Southern Cal car originally. The second owner was Carter Penley and it's roll bar number is 57.002. San Diego Region didn't start stamping numbers until @ 1971? so that won't help find the original owner. Carter remembers buying the car slightly damaged in 1969-1970 so if you find anything for Mike something for me might be close by. He painted it yellow and added long pods out in front of the front wheels and a small wing just over the rear axle. I have period pictures both before and after these changes. It is a very noticeable car if you have pictures of FB-FC races along the west coast in the early '70s. I would love some action shots. I need some 4 inch bolt pattern 13 inch LeGrand front wheels. I have 2 3 3/4 13 inch LeGrand fronts which fit Lotus and others. I also have 2 6 bolt 13 inch LeGrand rears for Lotus and will trade. Al James was able to make the connection between Carter and my car for me which I appreciate.
    Brad in Seattle

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Summers View Post
    OK group now is your chance to shine!! I am restoring a 1969 ish LeGrand MK10 FF to use in vintage racing here on the West Coast. I knew very little about the history of the car, only that it was owned around 1990 by Don McGreevy in the Eureka area. Don claims that he got the car from a Dennis Orchid, or some similar last name. Havent tracked him down yet but he is thought to be connected with Huffaker. Now just discovered that the old hoop had a Cal Club stamp, 19 1035. Contacted Allan Coy who does some of the CC archives, the said the info he has starts with 19 1212. Ron Pohl responded to a forum request and mentioned three LeGrand drivers from that period. Cris Hoff and Walt Candy (both may have owed the same MK10) and Alan Holly. Alan is alive and well and hopes to have his original MK10 out sometime this year for vintage racing. So..........anyone know where Hoff or Candy might be after, say 40 plus years?? Also any other ideas on who might have Cal Club info rat holed. Have also contacted Al James who does the LeGrand Registry. No luck on past history there. Lets see who can remember 40 plus years ago........I have difficulty with last week.

Mike Summers
    Sacramento

Thread Information