Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Liked: 0

Quote Originally Posted by drdestructo View Post
    For me, proper shifting is part of proper driving. Any moron can shift a semi-automatic gearbox. I think driving skills should be important and things like downshift reject should be left to the street cars on the street. Just my opinion. You all get to have yours too!

Russ
    That is your personal opinion and that is fine. Of course, it doesnt necessarily have to be projected on everyone else so that is a part of a rules package.

I read a comment on a similar thread about an engine addition to a class. It was somethng to the effect, "A real racecar driver should know how to tune a carb. Having electronics set the fuel map will dumb down the class." Of course, I paraphrased, but you get the point.
    Ken

Liked: 553

99% of the time, people spend money on bigger ticket items (diffusers, shift systems) for lower lap times.

I do understand that:
    1. Newer shifting technology might make the class more attractive.
    2. Assisted shifting might offer a secondary benefit of saving engines.
    3. If a driver does not have to devote as much effort to shifting (eg. making the car "easier to drive"), he/she can focus more on other aspects of driver (hopefully resulting in lower lap times).
    4. Many current F1000 racers have assisted shifting, many people consider them legal and putting the horse back in the barn (declaring them illegal) is not a good option.
    Anyone who claims they spent $5000+, went to the effort of configuring it and are now carrying the extra weight and complexity on the car for some reason other than making their car faster is blowing smoke.

The only downside I see to a weight penalty is the chassis builders who have done a good job of getting their cars to the minimum weight (Citation?, Pheonix?) will be adversely affected the most.

Heterochromic Papillae starkejt's Avatar
    Liked: 3

So is the appropriate weight penalty proportional to the cost of the item in question? 40 lbs. for my $5k shifter. Another 40 lbs. for my $5k brakes. 80 lbs. for my $10k dampers.

Or is it based on a perceived performance advantage? In that case, what's the weight penalty for a chassis that seems to make more mechanical grip than the others or is lighter than the others or has better aero than the others?

I never thought FB stood for Formula Bergeron....

Quote Originally Posted by starkejt View Post
    So is the appropriate weight penalty proportional to the cost of the item in question? 40 lbs. for my $5k shifter. Another 40 lbs. for my $5k brakes. 80 lbs. for my $10k dampers.

Or is it based on a perceived performance advantage? In that case, what's the weight penalty for a chassis that seems to make more mechanical grip than the others or is lighter than the others or has better aero than the others?

I never thought FB stood for Formula Bergeron....
    Do I detect a hint of sarcasm? Your car should be penalized 100lbs just because you have the technology of stark enterprises behind you. I'm pretty sure iron mans continuous energy source isn't legal in fb

Liked: 14

10 additional lbs per gold medal the driver has ?
    Kevin Firlein Autosport,Inc.
    Runoffs 1 Gold 3 Silver 3 bronze, 8 Divisional , 6 Regional Champs , 3x Drivers of the year awards

Quote Originally Posted by KevinFirlein View Post
    10 additional lbs per gold medal the driver has ?
    What if he lost them? Does he still have to carry the weight?

Liked: 1

Quote Originally Posted by starkejt View Post
    What if he lost them? Does he still have to carry the weight?
    I think you misspelled "ate".

Cheers,
    Rennie

Quote Originally Posted by Rennie Clayton View Post
    I think you misspelled "ate".

Cheers,
    Rennie

Liked: 14

sorry but ever since you made the Goonies reference I have been disturbed by mental pics of Schweitz walking to the head of the grid at the last pro race yelling out " hey you guys ! " while wearing a superman shirt under his driving suit. For that alone you deserve weight.
    Kevin Firlein Autosport,Inc.
    Runoffs 1 Gold 3 Silver 3 bronze, 8 Divisional , 6 Regional Champs , 3x Drivers of the year awards

Just give him a Baby Ruth, it always calms him down.

Liked: 1

Default Moron's

Russ
    No MORON apologies needed IMO.
    I am looking forward to becoming a Cheap Moron when I find a Geartronics at a yard sale.
    I need all the help I can get ASAP.
    Herman

Quote Originally Posted by Herman Pahls View Post
    Russ
    No MORON apologies needed IMO.
    I am looking forward to becoming a Cheap Moron when I find a Geartronics at a yard sale.
    I need all the help I can get ASAP.
    Herman
    Igot a line on a couple cheap geartronics systems. 2000$ cash only. Enough buy me a plane ticket outa here when Nicholas finds out

Liked: 30

Can I use my $500 certificate towards that $2000??

Default Thanks f1000 pro series

It has been a great season for the pro series. Large FB turn outs made for great races
    and lots of different winners. I would like to thank my wife Melanie for supporting my racing, and my Father, Mother, Sister and Brother for serving as my crew. With out the the support
    Wayne Felch and Stohr cars I would not had a chance. Thanks to Larry Vollum my running buddy and fellow racer who has mentored me on every aspect of racing during hundreds of miles of running.
    Thanks goes out to Thomas Copeland and Nick Belling for creating the series and all the
    f1000 series drivers for their in credible skill and the friendships that have been forged.

2011 f1000 pro series Champ

Dave Palmer

Liked: 2

Default Nice sentiments, Dave ---

Congratulations to you and yours on a terrific championship run!

Chris Crowe

Liked: 30

Turns out what ended my day Sunday was a wheel bearing failure. By not parking right away, it will cost me a bearing, upright, CV, rotor and possibly a caliper. Not to mention the tires from Goodyear! I ran 3 laps with it totally F'ed up thinking it was a cut tire.

Congrats Taylor and Dave

Now, who is going to High Plains.........

Quote Originally Posted by drdestructo View Post
    Can I use my $500 certificate towards that $2000??
    That's the thing about the black market. We don't accept gift certificates. How every a buddy pass with delta airlines might sway it in your favour

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information