Liked: 11

Default WTB: Mid 80s/Early 90s FF1600s

As the title says...
    WTB- Mid 80s/Early 90s FF1600s to be used as SCCA CM autocross cars.

No not for me, I already have a car, but buyer demand is picking up post Solo Nationals as folks recognize the performance per dollar, while not getting caught up w/ the high tire costs of running Hoosier A6s in stock class or the tire wars going on in Street Touring classes.

What folks are looking for is the current FF1600 'orphan' cars of club racing. Those cars too new for Club Ford, uncompetitive in National racing, or those deemed uncompetitive by the arrival of the DB-1 back in the day. You know the ones sitting in your buddies garage collecting cobwebs

Here's what the first time Ford shopper will be looking for to test the waters and see how much fun we are all having:

Cars priced under $10k
    Hewland Mk 9 Gearbox
    GCR legal FF1600 Cars w/ Homologation (don't worry about belts or fire bottles)
    Inboard F&R Suspension Cars (rocker, pushroad, pullrod it doesn't matter)
    Good Examples:
    Reynards 82+ all generations
    Van Dieman 85+
    Lola 640-644
    Citation 85+
    Royale RP33+

If you are looking to clean out your garage, there is an un-tapped market out there for these mid-generation cars, which will also keep them in the USA. Just get them posted for sale on ApexSpeed and SCCAForums.com and this will help us build-up our class particpation numbers to what they were in the late 90's.

TIA for helping CM grow & prosper.
    Peter Calhoun
    Motorsport Manager- Michelin North America, Inc.
    Swift DB1-86 FF1600 (bye-bye 3.12)
    2009-10 SCCA CM National Champions

Liked: 0

Ironically - this is the exact reason why I signed up for this board a day or two ago.

I'm one of the dumb autox'ers though that will buy the best he can buy because autox is very very serious bizness...

I also like doing things a little different so I'm not exactly sold on the "almost 30yr old car is good enough" thing.

Nick Jackson - current STAC chair...

Liked: 956

Default Doing different..

Quote Originally Posted by NickJ View Post
    Ironically - this is the exact reason why I signed up for this board a day or two ago.

I'm one of the dumb autox'ers though that will buy the best he can buy because autox is very very serious bizness...

I also like doing things a little different so I'm not exactly sold on the "almost 30yr old car is good enough" thing.

Nick Jackson - current STAC chair...
    Nick,
    One thing to consider about more modern cars with pushrod suspension.

I watched an FC tear up his RF corner with a traffic cone at 80 MPH at Fontana. That tends to make auto-x in a formula car a bit spendy.
    “Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty.” -Peter Egan

Liked: 3

How about a Crossle 50f, upgrade to 55f suspension also wheel hub conversion to normal bearings.
    Bare frame rebuilt , 1 race weekend on it w/logbook.
    2 sets of wheels and some good suspension spares, Legal 711m

10k would take it.
    http://blurredvisionracing.com/pictures/img_0013.html

Delivery help possibly, It's COLD up here
    later Gord
    BTW...only toilets need doors
    www.blurredvisionracing.com

Liked: 11

Quote Originally Posted by gord leach View Post
    How about a Crossle 50f, upgrade to 55f suspension also wheel hub conversion to normal bearings.
    Bare frame rebuilt , 1 race weekend on it w/logbook.
    2 sets of wheels and some good suspension spares, Legal 711m

10k would take it.
    http://blurredvisionracing.com/pictures/img_0013.html

Delivery help possibly, It's COLD up here
    Exactly the type of car folks are looking for and w/ a nice Gulf themed paint scheme to boot. After posting I relaized I didn't call out any Crossle models, which Bruce Dickey has been very successful w/ in Solo.

Nick- PM me and I can give you the pros & cons of a newer car and what you would expect to spend vs your budget. Pushrods would be the least of my concerns, we've had more than a few already running without issue in multiuple classes.
    Peter Calhoun
    Motorsport Manager- Michelin North America, Inc.
    Swift DB1-86 FF1600 (bye-bye 3.12)
    2009-10 SCCA CM National Champions

Liked: 310

Damn, Nick, you just missed out. There were two Lola T-540's in the big white warehouse on the East Side. One was a brand new Pat Prince chassis and new susupension parts. Both complete. The older one just needed belts, the new one needed assembly. Both for $10,000 but they're gone now. Maybe they just were moved to a different location. If you are interested, contact Bernie Sunier. He knows the owner.

Be sure to try on any car before you buy considering your height and shoulders.

Liked: 956

Default Brain fade..

Peter, glad to know pushrod cars are not an issue.

My memory is going bad. This is a video of the incident that I saw. The cone was not a stationary object when it took out the corner...at about 2:40. Possibly doing more than 100, which would not be an issue in an autox.

http://www.jameshakewill.com/fontana-f2000.wmv

The Pacific F2000 series puts on some great races and intense competition. Great fun to watch.
    “Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty.” -Peter Egan

Quote Originally Posted by Lynn View Post
    Damn, Nick, you just missed out. There were two Lola T-540's in the big white warehouse on the East Side. One was a brand new Pat Prince chassis and new susupension parts. Both complete. The older one just needed belts, the new one needed assembly. Both for $10,000 but they're gone now. Maybe they just were moved to a different location. If you are interested, contact Bernie Sunier. He knows the owner.

Be sure to try on any car before you buy considering your height and shoulders.
    Thanks Lynn - at this point I'm mainly doing research. I won't be making a purchase anytime soon, I haven't discussed this with Andy yet either.

Liked: 126

I'll soon have an RF93 FC slider available.

I have a 1982-83 Reynard FF that's been gathering cobwebs in my garage near Annapolis Maryland. It won the last race it ran about 8 years ago.
    Reply to tonyb@cataniaconstruction.com
    Tony

Contributing Member Mark Walthew's Avatar
    Liked: 34

Tony, you need to dust that car off and come out and play again!

Liked: 65

Quote Originally Posted by DanW View Post
    Peter, glad to know pushrod cars are not an issue.

My memory is going bad. This is a video of the incident that I saw. The cone was not a stationary object when it took out the corner...at about 2:40. Possibly doing more than 100, which would not be an issue in an autox.

http://www.jameshakewill.com/fontana-f2000.wmv

The Pacific F2000 series puts on some great races and intense competition. Great fun to watch.
    Is the steering linkage towards the front of the A-arms on that car? Small diameter tubes up front might be damaged by a cone. The steering links are to the rear on my RP31. One side was bent before I purchased it from being pulled out of gravel trap and tow truck wrapped around linkage.

I've hit 20+ cones in one run (walls of death and was trying a wee bit too hard) raced a corner worker to a downed cone at the finish and got a rerun. No damage to suspension, set FTD with the rerun. If worried about weak links, carry spares.

I have a 1985 Mondiale M85S For Sale. I know the sister car to mine has been doing auto X for a number of years now. Mine is set up to club race but can easily be converted over to run auto X. If you do a search on here it should be in the FF classifieds. Looking to sell as a roller.

Andrew
    thunderracing191@hotmail.com

Liked: 10

Quote Originally Posted by thunderracing91 View Post
    I have a 1985 Mondiale M85S For Sale. I know the sister car to mine has been doing auto X for a number of years now. Mine is set up to club race but can easily be converted over to run auto X. If you do a search on here it should be in the FF classifieds. Looking to sell as a roller.

Andrew
    thunderracing191@hotmail.com
    FYI for any autocrossers who don't already know: A road race legal FF1600 "converts" to autox by changing to shorter gears and installing Hoosier R25B tires. Optionally you can remove the fire system.

Dick
    CM 85
    85 VD since 1992

Quote Originally Posted by Dick R. View Post
    FYI for any autocrossers who don't already know: A road race legal FF1600 "converts" to autox by changing to shorter gears and installing Hoosier R25B tires. Optionally you can remove the fire system.

Dick
    CM 85
    85 VD since 1992

With it being set up for road racing I didnt know if the suspension would have to be soften up to get the car to perform better. Here is a link to the car............No need for myself to have 2 FF's in the shop along with a couple go karts and a baby due in Feburary! http://www.apexspeed.com/forums/show...light=Mondiale

Andrew

With it being set up for road racing I didnt know if the suspension would have to be soften up to get the car to perform better. Here is a link to the car............No need for myself to have 2 FF's in the shop along with a couple go karts and a baby due in Feburary! http://www.apexspeed.com/forums/show...light=Mondiale

Andrew
    What are the approximate wheel rates? (not spring rates since then all that motion ratio squared stuff would be needed )

In any case, springs are relatively cheap.

Thanks,

Dick

Quote Originally Posted by Dick R. View Post
    What are the approximate wheel rates? (not spring rates since then all that motion ratio squared stuff would be needed )

In any case, springs are relatively cheap.

Thanks,

Dick

No clue on the wheel rates. I would have to run over to the shop and look at some notes. I got a lot of springs to go with the car, so no need to buy any!

Andrew

No clue on the wheel rates. I would have to run over to the shop and look at some notes. I got a lot of springs to go with the car, so no need to buy any!

Andrew
    Sounds like something to do if a potential autox buyer asks. I'm just curious but it isn't any of my business . . .

I've autocrossed with wheel rates between 50 and 100 percent of the corner weight.

Dick
    85 VD
    CM85

I'm one of those autocrossers looking for a FF1600. I race an RX8 right now, but some time this year I plan on picking up a car like Peter described above.

I'm a little concerned about fitting in one, though. I'm a little over 6', and it's mostly leg!

Quote Originally Posted by PCalhoun View Post
    As the title says...
    WTB- Mid 80s/Early 90s FF1600s to be used as SCCA CM autocross cars.

No not for me, I already have a car, but buyer demand is picking up post Solo Nationals as folks recognize the performance per dollar, while not getting caught up w/ the high tire costs of running Hoosier A6s in stock class or the tire wars going on in Street Touring classes.

What folks are looking for is the current FF1600 'orphan' cars of club racing. Those cars too new for Club Ford, uncompetitive in National racing, or those deemed uncompetitive by the arrival of the DB-1 back in the day. You know the ones sitting in your buddies garage collecting cobwebs

Here's what the first time Ford shopper will be looking for to test the waters and see how much fun we are all having:

Cars priced under $10k
    Hewland Mk 9 Gearbox
    GCR legal FF1600 Cars w/ Homologation (don't worry about belts or fire bottles)
    Inboard F&R Suspension Cars (rocker, pushroad, pullrod it doesn't matter)
    Good Examples:
    Reynards 82+ all generations
    Van Dieman 85+
    Lola 640-644
    Citation 85+
    Royale RP33+

If you are looking to clean out your garage, there is an un-tapped market out there for these mid-generation cars, which will also keep them in the USA. Just get them posted for sale on ApexSpeed and SCCAForums.com and this will help us build-up our class particpation numbers to what they were in the late 90's.

TIA for helping CM grow & prosper.

Liked: 43

You will probably fit into a reynard without much difficulty. I had a 83 and had plenty of room and I'm 5'11". Very forgiving cars to drive.

Good to know, thanks!

Liked: 74

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Pockets View Post
    I'm one of those autocrossers looking for a FF1600. I race an RX8 right now, but some time this year I plan on picking up a car like Peter described above.

I'm a little concerned about fitting in one, though. I'm a little over 6', and it's mostly leg!
    I'm ~6'4" with a 36" inseam and have been able to fit in a few cars, so there's definitely cars that will work for you. My '88 Reynard was fine, I sat in Peter Calhoun's DB1 and it was great, my '95 Van Diemen has lots of room! I also tried a '96 VD and didn't fit. Keep watching for cars, and you'll probably want to "test fit" before you buy, but I think you'll be fine.

Barry Ott

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Ott View Post
    I'm ~6'4" with a 36" inseam and have been able to fit in a few cars, so there's definitely cars that will work for you. My '88 Reynard was fine, I sat in Peter Calhoun's DB1 and it was great, my '95 Van Diemen has lots of room! I also tried a '96 VD and didn't fit. Keep watching for cars, and you'll probably want to "test fit" before you buy, but I think you'll be fine.

Barry Ott
    That's a relief! Thanks, Barry. My legs are about that long, so I'm glad to hear about your experiences.

Nick

Thread Information