Thread: FM prototype?

Liked: 1

Default FM prototype?

I understand that there was a FM prototype based on a standard FM that Star Race Cars used as a test bed for the 240 HP Renesis engine. Does anyone know what happened to it? I'd like to know more about it.
    Thanks,
    Stan Vann

Liked: 309

I don't know about that combination, but I do seem to recall them installing one of the 195 hp 4-port Renesis engines in an FM chassis. The plan was to eventually bring a detuned version into FM as the follow-on to the JDM 13B currently in the FM, but when Mazda terminated the engine (which appeared only in the rare and unloved automatic RX-8) the project was shelved. That engine was classed in CSR, but aside from some test days in an FM chassis with MSR bodywork, AFAIK it has not run since. Stan
    Stan Clayton
    Stohr Cars

Liked: 0

Default FM Prototype - 4port Renesis

I can help with this topic. I purchased the 4Port Renesis Standard FM from Star Race cars and owned it until just a few weeks ago. I ran it a few times last summer so it has seen the track. The engine was the 4port Renesis from the original RX-8 automatic. A slight modification was required to the engine cover to accommodate the intake system and the engine mounts are different. The pro Formula Mazdas use the 6Port Renesis which produces higher hp and it is a completely different car (carbon fiber tub, etc) than the tube frame standard FM. The 4Port FM is legal in the FM SCCA class to run with 13b standard FMs. The pro-FMs are eligible to run with Formula Atlantics and not the FMs. In an attempt to equalize performance to the 13b FMs, the 4Port was required to have a very large restrictor plate and an additional 50 lb weight penalty.

I would not expect to see the car anytime soon on the track as the person that I sold it to is planning on running autocross with it. Star Race Cars only produced the one 4Port so no others exist. If you more questions, please feel free to send me a PM.

Lee

Thanks for the info. Interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Arnis30 View Post
    I can help with this topic. I
    I would not expect to see the car anytime soon on the track as the person that I sold it to is planning on running autocross with it. Star Race Cars only produced the one 4Port so no others exist. If you more questions, please feel free to send me a PM.

Lee
    Lee,
    So SCCA would allow you to run with the restrictor in FM. Was it competitive?

Thread Information