Liked: 0

Default Seeking information

Before I start with my questions, I hate to call myself a newbie but this is very much out of my element as far as being a car enthusiast is concerned.

I would like to start in some form of open wheel racing. Something that will not destroy my pockets too horridly, but would still be fun.

I was considering F1000 or FC.

What classes are common though?

I really don't see any appeal in Formula V, I just want to find a class that is common enough that I could race in most places that the military would send me.

Liked: 384

Any racing experience?
    Shifter karts,sedans...etc?
    With no racing experience those too clases might be way overwhelming.
    Formula F is always good start.
    Maris Kazia ,CEO
    EuroKraft Inc Racing
    Circuito do Sol
    2014 Radical SR 3 RSX, 2x Tatuus FA 01
    BMW HP2 .BMW K1200 R.Porsche 996 Carerra 4s

Quote Originally Posted by Kazis31 View Post
    Any racing experience?
    Shifter karts,sedans...etc?
    With no racing experience those too clases might be way overwhelming.
    Formula F is always good start.
    Absolutely zero experience. Tabula rasa completely when it comes to racing.
    I had my interests piqued by the notion that a formula super V is a viable option in continental.

Is it basically like a regular V on riods?
    What would a decent Formula Ford car run me?

So even say an ancient Lola that is older then me (I'm 27) would be a good start?

Liked: 2

With a limited budget, and no racing experience. I suggest you acquire some before you enter into racing. This way you can evaluate what are your limitations. Go to an event, talk to racers. See if you are mechanical or will you have to pay to get things done. Learn which classes in your area you feel comfortable to race in.

Liked: 210

Quote Originally Posted by redroku87 View Post
    .....I was considering F1000 or FC. ...
    Another popular option would be FF.

HOWEVER, of the two above I would NOT even think about putting a fresh faced brand new driver into an F1000. Scary thought. F1000's travel at very, very near the velocity of Formula Atlantic (training ground for Indy cars) and require a level of experience to start with.

ON THE OTHER HAND, FC is a really, really good beginner class if you have anye level of high speed car or motorcycle experience (not racing but just driving). You'll hear other opinions about never start in a winged car. But, we put a totally fresh never been in a race car before driver into an FC and he had a magnificent three year run. They are fairly easy to set up and very easy to leaven to drive (depending on the year and model). Once you've achieved some level of success there, stepping into an F1000 is much, much easier.

MATER OF FACT: One of the two cars we owned is for sale here again:

http://www.apexspeed.com/forums/showthread.php?t=59900

This car was fun, fast and reliable. Only session it entered and didn't finish was when I forgot to gas it.. duhhh
    CREW for Jeff 89 Reynard or Flag & Comm.

Liked: 142

I'd highly recommend crewing a bit first. Club racers always need help at the track, you'll learn about the various scca classes, how weekends work and some basics about the cars. We're a friendly bunch, just go to an scca weekend, walk the paddock and talk to some people!
    Awww, come on guys, it's so simple. Maybe you need a refresher course. Hey! It's all ball bearings nowadays.

Contributing Member
    Liked: 4

formula 500-600 low cost and very fast. FC and FF will cost you major bucks

Quote Originally Posted by rickb99 View Post
    Another popular option would be FF.

HOWEVER, of the two above I would NOT even think about putting a fresh faced brand new driver into an F1000. Scary thought. F1000's travel at very, very near the velocity of Formula Atlantic (training ground for Indy cars) and require a level of experience to start with.

ON THE OTHER HAND, FC is a really, really good beginner class if you have anye level of high speed car or motorcycle experience (not racing but just driving). You'll hear other opinions about never start in a winged car. But, we put a totally fresh never been in a race car before driver into an FC and he had a magnificent three year run. They are fairly easy to set up and very easy to leaven to drive (depending on the year and model). Once you've achieved some level of success there, stepping into an F1000 is much, much easier.

MATER OF FACT: One of the two cars we owned is for sale here again:

http://www.apexspeed.com/forums/showthread.php?t=59900

This car was fun, fast and reliable. Only session it entered and didn't finish was when I forgot to gas it.. duhhh
    Sir would you mind messaging me?

If I have to buy a pile of parts and put this thing together myself I will do it.
    I was also planning on going to a track that had some form of open wheel and hanging around, then taking my butt to racing school so on and so forth.

I'm in the Army, finding a pit crew will take me a week at the most.

Liked: 530

"something that will not destroy my pockets too horridly, but still have fun..."

that statement needs some quantification. how deep are your pockets? where $1000 for a day at the track might be horrid to some, it is budget dust to others.

if you've really got zero track experience, karts, F500/600 might be good places to start, or FC, FM and FE if you have more money.

i agree, spending some time at the track in the padock helping another team or even just wandering around asking questions will help give you some ideas and direction. your questions are rarely answered to any degree of satisfaction on an Internet forum, even as great as this one is and its members are.

if you've really got zero track experience, you'll think anything you drive is fast the first time out.

cheers,
    mikey

Liked: 1397

Here is my 2 bits.

You can start racing an FC. That is something like learning to play golf without a putter in you bag and not really learning to put. You aren't going to be very good.

Learning in a non-winged car like a FV or FF is mastering the fundamentals first then graduating to the faster cars. You will be more skilled working you way up the ladder.

I spent years engineering at the Indy Lights level and some of the drivers I worked with came into the class without the basic skills any good FV driver would have had. I am not good enough to teach anyone how to read shock settings in a car going 190 mph.

Quote Originally Posted by rob66x View Post
    formula 500-600 low cost and very fast. FC and FF will cost you major bucks
    Quote Originally Posted by mikey View Post
    "something that will not destroy my pockets too horridly, but still have fun..."

that statement needs some quantification. how deep are your pockets? where $1000 for a day at the track might be horrid to some, it is budget dust to others.

if you've really got zero track experience, karts, F500/600 might be good places to start, or FC, FM and FE if you have more money.

i agree, spending some time at the track in the padock helping another team or even just wandering around asking questions will help give you some ideas and direction. your questions are rarely answered to any degree of satisfaction on an Internet forum, even as great as this one is and its members are.

if you've really got zero track experience, you'll think anything you drive is fast the first time out.

cheers,
    mikey
    Quote Originally Posted by S Lathrop View Post
    Here is my 2 bits.

You can start racing an FC. That is something like learning to play golf without a putter in you bag and not really learning to put. You aren't going to be very good.

Learning in a non-winged car like a FV or FF is mastering the fundamentals first then graduating to the faster cars. You will be more skilled working you way up the ladder.

I spent years engineering at the Indy Lights level and some of the drivers I worked with came into the class without the basic skills any good FV driver would have had. I am not good enough to teach anyone how to read shock settings in a car going 190 mph.

Based on this wings and newbies= bad and F600 might be the best choice?

The idea of a shifterless snowmobile sounds uninteresting.
    What about starting with Fords and then moving on to something like continentals?

Banned
    Liked: 1116

Quote Originally Posted by redroku87 View Post
    Based on this wings and newbies= bad and F600 might be the best choice?

The idea of a shifterless snowmobile sounds uninteresting.
    Ahhh....which would be why F600 was created. In short, yank the snowmobile engine and CVT and replace with a late model Fuel Injected 600cc GSXR motor with 6sp sequential and get chasing after those uninteresting shifterless snowmobile sounds.

Quote Originally Posted by Daryl DeArman View Post
    Ahhh....which would be why F600 was created. In short, yank the snowmobile engine and CVT and replace with a late model Fuel Injected 600cc GSXR motor with 6sp sequential and get chasing after those uninteresting shifterless snowmobile sounds.
    Is it as common as say... formula ford in SCCA land?

Banned
    Liked: 1116

No. Not yet, but the class is in its' infancy. FB (F1000) is also young and looking at their participation it would appear there is much interest in the technology---I don't see the F5/F600 classes shrinking.

Being new, on a budget, and seeking large class sizes I think you ought to really take a good long hard look at karting. Especially given the logistics if you need to bounce from place to place with the military.

Here are sobering numbers for you: 2013 SCCA Participation

http://scca.cdn.racersites.com/prod/...tion_FINAL.pdf

Liked: 319

Default Good advice here

But... Here would be my question back to you:

Which do you really want to do, work on a race car, or drive one?

If the answer is the former there has been some great suggestions brought out here and the class really does not matter all that much since all race cars require an abundance of time, money, and effort. I can't add much substance to what has already been offered.

However, if the answer is the latter then RENT, don't buy. Do yourself a favor and do a Bertil Roos, Skip Barber, or Bob Bondurant school, then rent to race. This will allow you to focus on learning to do the thing you want to do the most to the highest level. A nice biproduct of that strategy is that you won't have to drag a trailer full of racing crap to every base you get assigned to, then dig up a place to store and work on it. As my father used to say, "If it floats, flys or (forget the third thing but it started with an "F" too) rent it, don't buy it."

Two more things:

1. Just curious what branch of the military you are in?

2. Thank you for serving!

Ciao,

Kip
    Lola: When four springs just aren't enough.

Liked: 91

When you say places the military would take you, if it includes overseas, I would suggest a Formula Ford with a Ford Kent motor. They still have classes that race those in other countries. I do not think F500 would be as universal. Also, to Mr. Lathrops point, if you want to learn the feel of a car, the F500 suspension is a bit different than the normal double wishbone susepnsion found on all higher formula cars. Formula Ford/Club Ford is probably the cheapest class of car that is fundamentallly the same as all the classes above it. F500 is about the same speed and is probably a bit cheaper, so you just have to look at the pros and cons. As for renting, it is great if you have the budget for it. You can race for less with your own car if your budget does not allow renting. The same could be said about doing a pro school vs a SCCA school with your own car. If you can afford the pro school, go for it, but if you cannot, there is always the SCCA route.

Liked: 121

If you want to race on a real budget you could try karts. Stock Moto class shifter karts are popular all across the country right now and you can race them on both road and sprint track races. They top out at 110mph but they corner like a winged formula car and can pull up to 2.5Gs laterally. Makes for some pretty killer lap times. They use a highly tuned Honda CR125 water cooled 2-stroke dirt bike engine with the 6-speed sequential gearbox from the bikes.

Admittedly you don't look nearly as cool in a go kart as an open wheel car if you care about that, haha. On the plus side though, you can shove it in the back of a pickup truck or use your daily driver to tow it on a small utility trailer which makes the initial investment a lot smaller. Also if your budget is like mine, you might be able to afford to win races in a kart where in a formula ford or something you'd only be able to afford to be a rear-of-the-pack guy.
    Last edited by Spengo; 06.24.14 at 1:11 PM.

Thread Information