Liked: 0

Default Would anybody be able tell me about this frame?

I found this for sale locally, I would like to build it as a toy. Although if it is legal to compete I'd also like to know.
    Thanks!

Attachment 42699Attachment 42700Attachment 42701Attachment 42702Attachment 42703Attachment 42704Attachment 42706Attachment 42707Attachment 42708Attachment 42705

Seller is asking 175

Liked: 303

Unless it comes with some parts worth $175, save your money.

At a minimum, it would require a redesign to add a front (steering) roll hoop. And the roll bar bracing is suspect. There is a minimum height below the top of the roll bar for the brace attachment and it appears these are too low.

As a toy? What kind of toy? I would stick with a known chassis if you have any plans to run it in competition. Even if it was free, the cost is going to be in all the other parts needed.

Regards,
    Barry

Thanks, I was thinking just a track toy for auto x using a spare motor I have. I would source any parts that don't require being new and buy the rest. I have access to a nice welder, bender, and sand blaster. What are some of my other options for a formula vee without a lot of money? Definitely not competing anytime soon, so that can be ruled out.

Liked: 174

It appears to be too rusty to save or trust? As the previous poster said, save your money!

Liked: 48

project formula vee - $2700 (Bedford Oh)

1980 lynx

Formula v project needs completed many spare parts,extra rims,good motor and tranny,needs fuel cell,wiring done,and reassembled.pictures available upon request.need to sell no time to finish $2700.00 obo no log books

Search Formula Vee on Cleveland, OH craigslist.
    Ian Lenhart
    Level 11 Creative
    www.level11creative.com
    lenhart06@yahoo.com

Liked: 303

Moe,

I'm assuming all you would get is the frame shown. As an autocross car, with no body, rust not to bad, and you can purchase the other required parts cheap enough. Maybe. As an Autocross car you don't have to meet the current GCR rules for FV or need a body I suppose. So it depends. Is the $175 chassis worth saving? Is it any good to start with? How does the motor / tranny mount? (appears to be missing something)

You will need a frontend. A transmission with axles etc. trailing arms and rod ends. new master cylinders and clutch cylinder (3, those are toast). Wheels and tires. Brake drums, backing plates, wheel cylinders, brake shoes, flex brake lines. Gauges. Seat belts. gas tank. Shift rods and 2-3 Universal joints. Steering shaft and joint, steering box, tierods, rod ends. And, well, a lot of stuff. If you can find all this cheap, maybe. If not keep looking and wait until a good roller or slider or cheap car comes along. All those parts, even with good fab skills will still add up. It might be cheaper to buy it all or most at once.

Sorry, that frame just doesn't look like much to me.

Regards,
    Barry

The roll cage does need to meet current GCR rules for a SCCA run autox.
    Mark Swick

Liked: 232

Default Environmental Suggestion .....

Buy, sandblast ..........
    ...............then donate, for many to enjoy for years to come
    Last edited by Swift17; 01.17.14 at 8:47 AM.

I don't think it is unusably rusty. I work at a body shop and wouldn't be an issue making it look like new. It is a swing axle and needs everything. An almost complete front end in similar rusty shape, I have found for as low as 30 bucks. Sand blasting is no big for me and neither is painting. I have a spare 1600 laying around that would work great. I'll look at it closer in person and try and negotiate if the steel is still in good shape. I am still learning about FV but even 2700 is a little out of my budget at the moment. I may just have to be patient about getting one. From what I have read SCCA is concerned with nothing more than money. I'd be looking at auto X events that are laxed and have nothing to do with SCCA rules. I want to pass safety check and be left alone for I am not there for any reason but fun. Ultimately, I was thinking of having something that is well thought out for 1000-2000 including a new set of street tires. I appreciate every ones input, I still obviously have a lot of research to do.

I should also note that time is on my side and I can weld and bend pipes quite well. Reinforcing or even mocking up my own frame using this old one as a guideline for dimensions, sounds like a lot of fun for me. I originally just wanted to build my own frame but was steered away from that on another forum and advised to just keep an eye out for a used one.

P.S the frame is also only an hour away.. I had originally offered 80.

Contributing Member Earley Motorsports's Avatar
    Liked: 433

Stick with your offer. O bet he doesn't have people lined up to buy it. Yours most likely will be his best offer.
    Cheers, Graham

I think so, thank you.

Contributing Member problemchild's Avatar
    Liked: 4353

I think you should be patient and keep your money in your pocket. The advice above was all good. If you network out to various Craigs lists, Samba, racer sites, and car sites, there are older FVs that surface on a regular basis. Often they are 50, 70, or 90% complete, and need lots of love, but are so much more likely to ever run again. That frame is about 1%.

Here's examples
    http://www.apexspeed.com/forums/showthread.php?t=53755
    I cannot remember what this sold for ... or if.

http://www.apexspeed.com/forums/show...869#post227869

http://www.apexspeed.com/forums/show...150#post340150

http://www.apexspeed.com/forums/show...895#post393895

http://www.apexspeed.com/forums/show...750#post412750
    Last edited by problemchild; 12.04.13 at 10:32 AM.
    Greg Rice, RICERACEPREP.com
    F1600 Arrive-N-Drive for FRP and SCCA, FC SCCA also. Including Runoffs
    2020 & 2022 F1600 Champion, 2020 SCCA FF Champion, 2021 SCCA FC Champion,
    2016 F2000 Champion, Follow RiceRacePrep on Instagram.

Liked: 310

Quote Originally Posted by fezzic181 View Post
    The roll cage does need to meet current GCR rules for a SCCA run autox.
    Solo Vee's in C Modified are not GCR cars and do not have to meet GCR roll cage rules. They do have to meet the Solo rules for the Modified category. A Formula Vee or First entered in an SCCA Solo would have to meet the GCR cage rules since they are GCR cars.

Well, I think I am going to hold off at least until spring and shop around. I'll have a better budget to get something complete or close to it for cheap. Thanks everyone who chimed in saved me some time and money.

Thread Information