Liked: 0

Default Just bought me a frame

I just got a frame wanted to see if there is anyone in the toledo area that can show me more about these cars. I am not sure if i want to set it up for auto cross or formula first i did get a long book for the car but it is all in cincinnati at the moment.

Liked: 190

Shawn,

Welcome. Can you tell us a little more about your purchase. Is it just a frame? Or did you get any other major parts (beam, trans, engine, ect.). Don't want to sound negative, but a frame is just one component. A car compliant and ready for the track is a good distance off from a bare frame.

Per chance it isn't this chassis, is it?

http://www.apexspeed.com/forums/showthread.php?t=51379

If so, this would not be a great candidate for an FST (IMHO)
    Bill Bonow
    "Wait, which one is the gas pedal again?"

yes that is the one i do have a 1600cc motor just needs to be rebuilt. And just wondering is there a reason it would not be good for FST? and it is just the frame and body work that i have gotten. I also know of a 64 bug i can get a trans and motor out of but will need rebuilt.
    Last edited by sseitz; 05.20.12 at 9:07 AM. Reason: add

Shawn,

That really is more vintage worthy than FST worthy. It looks to be a clone of a Mk 1 Formcar and is missing a vast majority of the component needed to put it together and be SCCA (and most vintage orgs) compliant. To put it into $$$ terms, take the parts you have, add about $10k, 100+ hours of labor and you'll have a nice vintage car. When complete, good chance your vintage FV will be worth something close to your investment.

Do the same focused on FST conversion and you'll get a early 60's looking car running in a current era racing class. The reselling value will in all likelyhood be less than if the car was put back to its original FV configuration.

The only thing likey to transfer from an old street 1600 to a race motor is the case and a few bolt on parts. Figure a new FST engine is in the $4k range. A good used FV engine can be purchased in the same price range. A trans from a street car will need a complete rebuild, ring carrier flipped and correct gears, figure $1k. Used race units can be found for less.

We'd love to have you come join us in FST. Your in the right geography for plenty of competition, but I have to be honest...... Look at buying a different car to get into FST.
    Bill Bonow

Liked: 5

Default Bad choice?

I remember when I was a child my dad purchased a car. went to a garage and said, what do you think of this car? the guy said it need a lot , Don't buy it. My dad said I already did. He should have taken it to the garage first , or asked questions first. At least you only spent a few dollars on it. You can't buy a set of tires for what you paid for the car. There is a nice looking auto x formula vee in calif with a trailer for about 2k complete will check and see which site I saw it on and check back with the info Good Luck

Default found the site

It was here on apex a autox vee with a 1915cc engine go to formula vee for sale I mentioned this before there are 2 formula vee's on sr racing web site one a speed sport and one a citation both for $4500. each 2 different adds that is a great deal

Liked: 151

Default alternative

There is a FST within thirty miles of you that would be a great value if you want to add the FST parts.

I did end up paying less that what he was asking for the frame $250 so I am staring to see this might be easier to buy another car than fix this one up I did not find this site until yesterday. I seen the frame on the samba.

Where is the one 30 miles from me?

Default outstanding

$250.00 was a super price you might just find some one with a bent frame and your frame would be a great price. You might even make a profit Ha ha . Well were glad you found the site lots of great info here.

I am about 30 miles from Toledo. I have an Adams Aero frame and body, which also has the fuel cell, zero roll rear suspension, up-to-date wiring, and dry sump tank. I also have a gearbox for the car, although the gears are not the FST-mandated longbox(4th and maybe 3rd gear would need changed out.) Car was run in several races in 2011. Will be available as a "roller" with 8 Vee rims and old treaded tires.

Send me a PM and you can take a look at my Mysterian and my second car, the Lynx conversion which has come to life over the winter. I would enjoy seeing someone else from NW Ohio get into FST!

Thanks to everyone for the comments. I still am not sure what I will do with the frame but can always keep it as a spare if I choose not to use it. I do know it is strait and has no damage to it. had my dad look over it he has been doing body/ frame work for 35 years on cars and trucks. Said it will need a few welds redone but most of them are good.

Shawn,

Here is a photo of the car that RedMyst has (currently disassembled).
    Last edited by Bill Bonow; 08.01.14 at 6:29 PM.
    Bill Bonow

Looks nice. better than what i have at the moment

Contributing Member
    Liked: 31

We are re-doing a FST in Milan, Mi not far from Toledo. e-mail me at dsatterley at hotmail dot com

Dave

Thread Information