Liked: 1417

Default [Forum Tip] How to Post Threads on the Forums

Every once in a while, we encounter someone that isn't real comfortable around computers or internet discussion forums. In the name of trying to help everyone along and get their feet wet here on ApexSpeed.com, I'm going to do a little walk-through on posting discussion topics or Classifieds on the forums (Classifieds are FREE if you post them yourself).

Ok, here's the simple skinny on making a post in the forums...

First, find the forum you would like to post your topic in—there are forum sections for just about every class of amateur formula car here at ApexSpeed, and something for everyone.

Once you find your specific forum, click the NEW THREAD button on the top left of the forum layout.

Ok, now you have entered the new post control interface. Here is where you can enter the information you want others to see in your new thread. Start by entering a brief but descriptive title for your thread.

Next, you can use the body form field to type in your message to forum readers. Try to avoid using a copy & paste from any Microsoft Word processor, as that program tends to leave invisible code here on the forums when you paste. Use a plain text editor is you must type something offline for posting here.

At this point, when you are finished typing your new thread message, you can either hit the SUBMIT NEW THREAD button and post the thread to the forum, or...

...scroll down the page a bit further and add photos to your post, if you have something to show people. Keep in mind, most people will want to see photos of something if you are trying to sell things here on ApexSpeed. Odds of selling increase 100% if you have photos to show the condition of your item.

There is also a simple step-by-step tutorial on posting photos to the forums here.

Don't forget you can also be notified via e-mail if someone responds to your posts by toggling the drop-down window here:

Once you have completed your post, checked your spelling for obvious errors, and are satisfied with your content, you then click the SUBMIT NEW THREAD button at the bottom of the page.

There is is. It's as simple as that. Discussion forums are simple and relatively intuitive to use. If you find yourself confused and lost, there is a general FAQ for the forums, as well as a forum for posting your questions or comments, Forum News, Help & Suggestions. We hope your ApexSpeed experience is entertaining and informative, as well as easy to use. Have fun!

--the ApexSpeed Staff

Liked: 447

My, what a big cursor you have!
    2003 VanDiemen FSCCA #29
    Follow me on Twitter @KeithCarter74

It came with the big keyboard I have. Most people are jealous of my extra large cursor, though, so I try not to bring it out too often—causes too much pointer envy.

Liked: 42

Default Spy Photo

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Carter View Post
    It came with the big keyboard I have.

source unknown

Liked: 447

CTRL + ALT + DEL would be interesting to see.
    2003 VanDiemen FSCCA #29
    Follow me on Twitter @KeithCarter74

Quote Originally Posted by mblanc View Post
    source unknown
    Bwaahahahahaha!

Liked: 21

Default stuart jackson

Last edited by stuart jackson; 07.03.17 at 4:47 PM.

Contributing Member
    Liked: 27

Default The "Preview Post" Feature

Hello, Doug -

For those who are hesitant about just typing and sending off irretrievably into the forever-verse, you might revise your original post to also demonstrate the "Preview Post" feature. Being able to see one's authorship as it will appear on the forum, and being able to fine-tune the wording before it's cast in stone, will reduce the anxiety of potential new posters.

just trying to help - Gerhard
    Last edited by gerhard_k; 09.25.17 at 2:06 PM.

Yeah, this original post is 7+ years old and about the old forums. We need to do an updated version for some of the n00bs.

Liked: 38

Default I posted the thread to the wrong forum

Doug,
    I just posted an ad for an FC car to the FF forum. Can I transfer or move the ad to FC without writing it all over again?
    Hilton Tallman

I can move it, not a problem.

Liked: 98

Here are two tips that I think many people don't know about posting.

1. You can edit a post after you submit it. When scrolling through a thread, you will see at the bottom of your posts this button:

You can edit your post as many times as you want, at any time in the future. Even years from now.

2. There is no "Cancel" button in the posting screen, but it's easy to not post. Just hit the "Back" button in your browser.

There's no need to submit an empty post (or a post with just a single character, or a post with a note like "<deleted>") when you change you mind.

Greg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Liked: 38

Default help

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Carter View Post
    I can move it, not a problem.
    Thanks
    HT

Liked: 50

Default Not allowed to start new threads?

Why am I not able to start a thread?

Quote Originally Posted by cunn5 View Post
    Why am I not able to start a thread?
    Where are you trying to post? You are a 10-year Senior Member with 160+ posts, and no restrictions on your account. You should be able to start a thread without any issues. Nothing wrong on this end...

Liked: 1

Default Vintage Classified

Hello,

I would like to post a BDA for sale in the Vintage Classifieds but I am unable to start a thread in the correct category. I can provide a copy of the ad for vetting if required.

Thank you,

Mioli

Contributing Member Garey Guzman's Avatar
    Liked: 854

Quote Originally Posted by Mioli View Post
    Hello,

I would like to post a BDA for sale in the Vintage Classifieds but I am unable to start a thread in the correct category. I can provide a copy of the ad for vetting if required.

Thank you,

Mioli
    At the top of that section is the Classified License banner. Click on that, pay a fee, then you can list an item for sale.
    Garey Guzman
    FF #4 (Former Cal Club member, current Atlanta Region member)
    https://redroadracing.com/ (includes Zink and Citation Registry)
    https://www.thekentlives.com/ (includes information on the FF Kent engine, chassis and history)

18. The following members LIKED this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Garey Guzman View Post
    At the top of that section is the Classified License banner. Click on that, pay a fee, then you can list an item for sale.
    Thank you Garey.

Default Do not have"NEW THREAD" on my screen!

Quote Originally Posted by dc View Post
    Every once in a while, we encounter someone that isn't real comfortable around computers or internet discussion forums. In the name of trying to help everyone along and get their feet wet here on ApexSpeed.com, I'm going to do a little walk-through on posting discussion topics or Classifieds on the forums (Classifieds are FREE if you post them yourself).

Ok, here's the simple skinny on making a post in the forums...

First, find the forum you would like to post your topic in—there are forum sections for just about every class of amateur formula car here at ApexSpeed, and something for everyone.

Once you find your specific forum, click the NEW THREAD button on the top left of the forum layout.

Ok, now you have entered the new post control interface. Here is where you can enter the information you want others to see in your new thread. Start by entering a brief but descriptive title for your thread.

Next, you can use the body form field to type in your message to forum readers. Try to avoid using a copy & paste from any Microsoft Word processor, as that program tends to leave invisible code here on the forums when you paste. Use a plain text editor is you must type something offline for posting here.

At this point, when you are finished typing your new thread message, you can either hit the SUBMIT NEW THREAD button and post the thread to the forum, or...

...scroll down the page a bit further and add photos to your post, if you have something to show people. Keep in mind, most people will want to see photos of something if you are trying to sell things here on ApexSpeed. Odds of selling increase 100% if you have photos to show the condition of your item.

There is also a simple step-by-step tutorial on posting photos to the forums here.

Don't forget you can also be notified via e-mail if someone responds to your posts by toggling the drop-down window here:

Once you have completed your post, checked your spelling for obvious errors, and are satisfied with your content, you then click the SUBMIT NEW THREAD button at the bottom of the page.

There is is. It's as simple as that. Discussion forums are simple and relatively intuitive to use. If you find yourself confused and lost, there is a general FAQ for the forums, as well as a forum for posting your questions or comments, Forum News, Help & Suggestions. We hope your ApexSpeed experience is entertaining and informative, as well as easy to use. Have fun!

--the ApexSpeed Staff
    help

Quote Originally Posted by brooks81 View Post
    help
    Whelp, you've made a post (and 25 previous others) and you have found the road map instructions for the old forums from 12 years ago, so that's a start. What do you need help with?

Thread Information