Liked: 1417

Default [Forum Tip] Posting Photos to the Forums

Ok guys, here's a primer on posting photos to the forums. Unlike many discussion boards, this forum allows you to upload your photos from your computer straight to our server at Apexspeed.com, and you don't have to have a computer programming degree to do it, either.

When selling any item on the internet, your chances of selling increase tenfold when you have photos to show the condition and physical appearance of your items for sale. A good, clean, in-focus photo makes all the difference in the world. Save your camera phones, too, they really only muddy up the situation. Many of us have digital cameras already, or know someone who does. Take advantage of that. They are easy to use, and most photo editing software that is included with digital cameras now is VERY easy to learn. Take 20 minutes to learn how to use it, it will help you greatly in your ability to sell stuff through the forums.

Ok, once you have photographed your item that you are selling (I will post some photography tips in the near future, too), you need to make sure that the photos will fit on the forums. We have a limited file size of 200k at a largest image size of 1024 x 768 pixels, which is a standard computer and camera format and proportion. Your camera on the normal or basic file size setting should produce images that are a reasonable size. If you need to reduce them further, a quick stop in your image editing program will help you get it to where you need it. Save your files as JPGs, as that will give you the best quality, with the smallest file size (generally). If you have the choice on file compression, choose "Medium" or "Levels from 4 to 7". Most of those programs will let you see the file size before you save, so reduce until it is below 200k.

Now you have all of your photos in a folder on your computer. I put things on my desktop, so I can find them easily. In the post thread window, below the area you type in, there will be an area marked "Additional Options." Find the section called, "Attach Files.' Click the button labeled Manage Attachments and you will be taken to the area to upload your photos from your computer.

You are now in the pop-up selection and upload area. Hang with me, it's easier than it looks.

Step 1: Click the first Browse button to look for your first image that you want to upload. You can do a maximum of 5 images at one time. A window that allows you to navigate your computer lets you look for the location of your images. Select the first image, then hit OK. That image will be show in the text field (shown below, step 1).

At this point you can browse the second image field to do another image, or go on to Step 2.

Step 2:
    Click the "Upload" button to send the file from your computer to the dirtoval.com server (shown above, step 2). You MUST do this step for the image to be uploaded to the server and show in your post. If you close the window before doing this, you will have to start all over.

At this point, the server will accept your less than 200k image, or tell you that it is too large to upload. If that is the case, you'll need to go back into your image editing program and make is a bit smaller. When you are done with that, click the button to close the pop-up window. You will then return to your post, and will be able to Preview your entire post to see if everything worked correctly or not. You mush have a bit of text in your post, but in a Classified post, the more descriptive, the better.

Give it a bit of practice in the "Suggestions" forum to learn how it is done, and don't be afraid to make mistakes. You can't screw anything up. A good car looks great with the right photos to show it off, and a great car will sit if no one can see how nice it is.

Liked: 3787

Great! Even I can do it.

Doug, You need to make this thread a "sticky" so we can find it easily.

3. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 701

So I was trying to post photos in this thread in the F1000 build section:
    http://www.apexspeed.com/forums/show...919#post140919
    and when I attempted to upload them, I got an error saying that I had exceeded my quota by 4.xx MB. It provided a link to all my attachments but I'm sure that other people have posted more photos than I have. Am I missing something?
    Mike Beauchamp
    RF95 Prototype 2

www.gyrodynamics.net

Liked: 553

Quote Originally Posted by Mike B View Post
    So I was trying to post photos in this thread in the F1000 build section:
    http://www.apexspeed.com/forums/show...919#post140919
    and when I attempted to upload them, I got an error saying that I had exceeded my quota by 4.xx MB. It provided a link to all my attachments but I'm sure that other people have posted more photos than I have. Am I missing something?
    Same problem here. I tried to upload some Runoffs pics but couldn't.

I've never had a problem adding pics and have been posting them for years (maybe I've been getting away with something).

Earlier tonight I got the upload error message, then deleted a LOT of pictures, but still seem to be over the max.

Did the max decrease? What is it now?

Thanks.

Russ
    Racer Russ
    Palm Coast, FL

Liked: 1417

Attachment space allotted on the ApexSpeed server:

• Forum Advertisers: 20 MB
    • Contributing Members: 10 MB
    • Senior Members: 5 MB

My statistics show:
    RussMcB - 158 attachments @ 11.11 MB total
    You must have not deleted anything since the loophole was found in some of the legacy Contributing Member setup that allowed unlimited attachments. Time to start cleaning house or find a new photo host provider.

Liked: 553

Thanks, Doug. I figured it was something like that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Doug Carter View Post

My statistics show:
    You must have not deleted anything since the loophole was found in some of the legacy Contributing Member setup that allowed unlimited attachments. Time to start cleaning house or find a new photo host provider.
    Actually, I did delete a LOT last night. It was worse. :-).

I'll do some more cleaning up. Thanks for the great site.

Russ
    Racer Russ
    Palm Coast, FL

Liked: 0

Thanks willgive it a try

Liked: 798

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Carter View Post

My statistics show:
    (found it)
    Last edited by Lotus7; 03.31.18 at 12:43 PM.

Liked: 1110

/
    Last edited by TimH; 03.05.19 at 5:23 PM. Reason: Found answer on another thread
    Caldwell D9B - Sold
    Crossle' 30/32/45 Mongrel - Sold
    RF94 Monoshock - here goes nothin'

Classifieds Super License BeerBudgetRacing's Avatar
    Liked: 1261

I've hit my limit on posting attachments.

I'd like to delete some old ones.

Not in my photos, albums are anywhere else I can find except the attachment manager when posting.
    Can't find a delete function there.

Any suggestions?

Contributing Member Garey Guzman's Avatar
    Liked: 854

Quote Originally Posted by BeerBudgetRacing View Post
    I've hit my limit on posting attachments.

I'd like to delete some old ones.

Not in my photos, albums are anywhere else I can find except the attachment manager when posting.
    Can't find a delete function there.

Any suggestions?
    I was able to delete some old stuff following this guys directions.
    Garey Guzman
    FF #4 (Former Cal Club member, current Atlanta Region member)
    https://redroadracing.com/ (includes Zink and Citation Registry)
    https://www.thekentlives.com/ (includes information on the FF Kent engine, chassis and history)

13. The following 2 users liked this post:

LOL!

Yeah - You forget what you knew as you age. I just could see that attachments link.!

Contributing Member Garey Guzman's Avatar
    Liked: 854

LOL!

Yeah - You forget what you knew as you age. I just could see that attachments link.!
    It was pretty funny that when I searched for an answer, yours was the first one I came across!

Don't worry, it could be worse - my grandpa was calling me senile when I was 5.
    Garey Guzman
    FF #4 (Former Cal Club member, current Atlanta Region member)
    https://redroadracing.com/ (includes Zink and Citation Registry)
    https://www.thekentlives.com/ (includes information on the FF Kent engine, chassis and history)

16. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 4

Quote Originally Posted by dc View Post
    Ok guys, here's a primer on posting photos to the forums. Unlike many discussion boards, this forum allows you to upload your photos from your computer straight to our server at Apexspeed.com, and you don't have to have a computer programming degree to do it, either.

When selling any item on the internet, your chances of selling increase tenfold when you have photos to show the condition and physical appearance of your items for sale. A good, clean, in-focus photo makes all the difference in the world. Save your camera phones, too, they really only muddy up the situation. Many of us have digital cameras already, or know someone who does. Take advantage of that. They are easy to use, and most photo editing software that is included with digital cameras now is VERY easy to learn. Take 20 minutes to learn how to use it, it will help you greatly in your ability to sell stuff through the forums.

Ok, once you have photographed your item that you are selling (I will post some photography tips in the near future, too), you need to make sure that the photos will fit on the forums. We have a limited file size of 200k at a largest image size of 1024 x 768 pixels, which is a standard computer and camera format and proportion. Your camera on the normal or basic file size setting should produce images that are a reasonable size. If you need to reduce them further, a quick stop in your image editing program will help you get it to where you need it. Save your files as JPGs, as that will give you the best quality, with the smallest file size (generally). If you have the choice on file compression, choose "Medium" or "Levels from 4 to 7". Most of those programs will let you see the file size before you save, so reduce until it is below 200k.

Now you have all of your photos in a folder on your computer. I put things on my desktop, so I can find them easily. In the post thread window, below the area you type in, there will be an area marked "Additional Options." Find the section called, "Attach Files.' Click the button labeled Manage Attachments and you will be taken to the area to upload your photos from your computer.

You are now in the pop-up selection and upload area. Hang with me, it's easier than it looks.

Step 1: Click the first Browse button to look for your first image that you want to upload. You can do a maximum of 5 images at one time. A window that allows you to navigate your computer lets you look for the location of your images. Select the first image, then hit OK. That image will be show in the text field (shown below, step 1).

At this point you can browse the second image field to do another image, or go on to Step 2.

Step 2:
    Click the "Upload" button to send the file from your computer to the dirtoval.com server (shown above, step 2). You MUST do this step for the image to be uploaded to the server and show in your post. If you close the window before doing this, you will have to start all over.

At this point, the server will accept your less than 200k image, or tell you that it is too large to upload. If that is the case, you'll need to go back into your image editing program and make is a bit smaller. When you are done with that, click the button to close the pop-up window. You will then return to your post, and will be able to Preview your entire post to see if everything worked correctly or not. You mush have a bit of text in your post, but in a Classified post, the more descriptive, the better.

Give it a bit of practice in the "Suggestions" forum to learn how it is done, and don't be afraid to make mistakes. You can't screw anything up. A good car looks great with the right photos to show it off, and a great car will sit if no one can see how nice it is.
    Ok, so I must be missing something, but I can't find any way to delete old photos to make room for some new ones. It's probably simple, but I can't figure it out...

Thanks

TK
    Tom Kaufman, TheFabMan.com

Quote Originally Posted by VDF1 View Post
    Ok, so I must be missing something, but I can't find any way to delete old photos to make room for some new ones. It's probably simple, but I can't figure it out...
    Click SETTINGS in upper right near the logout link.
    Scroll down on your left and click ATTACHMENTS
    If the pictures don't show, Scroll to the bottom and click SHOW THUMBNAILS.

Select and delete.

Liked: 4

Click SETTINGS in upper right near the logout link.
    Scroll down on your left and click ATTACHMENTS
    If the pictures don't show, Scroll to the bottom and click SHOW THUMBNAILS.

Select and delete.
    That worked, Thanks!

TK
    Tom Kaufman, TheFabMan.com

Thread Information