Liked: 64

Default MARCH 81A Atlantic???

I just purchased a March 81A tub(aluminum monocoque, dash & roll hoop, wiring harness, pedal mount casting, etc...) that was Jacque V's back-up chassis. There is VERY little wear on the tub(few scratches on the bottom from moving it). This chassis was stripped to support his primary car and has been sitting since at least 1990. Previous owners were Villeneuve, Gates & VanScoy. In order to rebuild the car, I would need basically everything that is bolted-on to the tub. I don't know if this is feasible considering the cost of purchasing all of the necessary components.

My question is to all of you: Which of the following should be considered for tub?

1. Attempt to locate all of the pieces and restore it(big$$$).

2. Sell it to someone who already has an 81A so they could have a spare or possibly replace
    an existing tub that may be a little tired.

3. Sell it as-is to someone who might want to fab their own suspension pieces and build a
    CSR or DSR.

4. Keep it and polish it and hang it on the wall in my rec room(should be the only one in
    existance!).

5. Other. Open for suggestions.

The tub needs to be cleaned and closely examined, but it looks great and should clean-up very well. What is the best way to polis a complete tub?

Thanks for taking the time to look,

Dan Lipperini Jr
    Dan Lipperini Jr

www.RaceLabz.com

Contributing Member formulasuper's Avatar
    Liked: 61

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Lipperini Jr

3. Sell it as-is to someone who might want to fab their own suspension pieces and build a
    CSR or DSR.

Dan Lipperini Jr

My vote is #3, or better yet, build a great Formula S. The possibilities are unlimited.
    Scott Woodruff
    83 RT5 Ralt/Scooteria Suzuki Formula S

(former) F440/F5/FF/FC/FA
    65 FFR Cobra Roadster 4.6 DOHC

Classifieds Super License Charles Warner's Avatar
    Liked: 416

I vote for #1 or #2. Keep it as a vintage atlantic. Send me some detailed pictures of the front and rear of the tub. I believe it might be the same as the 1980. If so, I have a project which is a 1980 (including tub) and all parts except gearbox and engine and adaptor and some bodywork. You might be able to use these parts to rebuild your tub. Going cheap.

fattogatto@msn.com
    Charlie Warner
    fatto gatto racing

'Cause there's bugger-all down here on earth!

Liked: 11

Its probably not worth much in its current condition...

I'd go #3 also if you are a skilled fabricator since you will have to make all suspension pieces, etc. Otherwise try and find a roller (like above) or a damaged 81 that can be picked up cheap.
    Sean O'Connell
    1996 RF96 FC
    1996 RF96 FB
    2004 Mygale SJ04 Zetec

Contributing Member Rick Kirchner's Avatar
    Liked: 1494

I hafta weigh in on Charlie's side here. Too many good rare (at least rare now) cars are getting turned into CSRs and DSRs, most of which never attain the level of craftsmanship of the original car. As a fully functional vintage atlantic (or F2 if you use the 2L) the car's worth over $40K. Parts come up on race-cars.com all the time. After you've spent the same amount of money making it a CSR it's worth half that.

I don't think a lot of 80 and 81 cars were brought in. I see a lot more 75-77 Marches.

Classifieds Super License Charles Warner's Avatar
    Liked: 416

There were 25 1980 F2 cars made. 25 1980 Atlantic cars made.

There were 11 1981 F2 cars made. 14 1981 Atlantic cars made.

Parts are available and there are very few things that can not be remanufactured quite easily. These cars are as fast as a good RT-1 and will hold their value well. It is a shame to see them chopped up to made a CSR or, even worse, formula S. (Your mileage may vary.)
    Charlie Warner
    fatto gatto racing

'Cause there's bugger-all down here on earth!

Classifieds Super License John Green's Avatar
    Liked: 105

Hang it on your wall, toast it with a glass of wine each evening. Someday someone will want the tub and you'll probably get some good bucks for it if you document the history.

Classifieds Super License stonebridge20's Avatar
    Liked: 1908

Default 78B Toboggan?

I've got a tub like that but it's a 78B. I have been draging the damn thing around for 15 years and can't get anybody to buy the thing. I even cought the neighbors kids using it as a toboggan a few years back! It was actually very funny. I'm coming home from work one night in the winter and as I come up my street, I see these three kids sliding down the hill next to my house in some sort of "homemade" sled. I don't pay much attention and as I'm walking into my house it HITS ME........That sled looks too much like a March tub! You would have thought that the kid hanging onto the dash hoop would have got my attention! The thing actualy goes pretty good once you get the snow packed down.

Agnif
    Stonebridge Sports & Classics ltd
    15 Great Pasture Rd Danbury, CT. 06810 (203) 744-1120
    www.cryosciencetechnologies.com
    Cryogenic Processing · REM-ISF Processing · Race Prep & Driver Development

Thread Information