Liked: 0

Default Blackhawk EWC Results

Here are the results from Rounds #3 and #4 of the 2005 FF/CFF East vs West Challenge at Blackhawk Farms Raceway. Contingency / prize drawing winners and driver / team point standings to follow in separate posts.

Round #3 Saturday July 9

Formula Ford

1) Dave Hopple, Piper DF-2, W
    2) Mark Kolell, Van Diemen RF85, W
    3) John Luxon, Piper DF-2, W
    4) Alex Murray, Swift DB-1, W
    5) Tony Foster, Swift DB-1, W
    6) Paul Reineck, Van Diemen RF85, W
    7) Bill Bergeron, Van Diemen RF90, W
    8) Ian Lenhart, Van Diemen RF87, W
    9) Jim Nash, Van Diemen RF98, W
    10) Gary Payne, Reynard 88F, W
    11) Tim Wise, Swift DB-6, W
    12) Todd Rhoades, Swift DB-1, W
    13) Tad Lenhart, Tiga FFA-80, W
    14) Bruce Faucett, Van Diemen RF84, E
    15) Bill Barnard, Van Diemen RF98, W
    16) Mark Blanc, Swift DB-6, W
    DNF Mark Blythe, Van Diemen RF98, W
    DNF Tom Stillwell, Swift DB-1, W
    DNF Loren Tieman, Reynard 88F, W
    DNS Steve Olson, Euroswift SE-1, W

Margin of Victory: 9.119 secs
    Fast Lap: Nash, 1:14.440
    Pole: Hopple, 1:14.131

Club Formula Ford

1) Steve Beeler, Lola T-540, E
    2) Tom Tipsword, Van Diemen RF81, E
    3) Brian Duncan, Tiga FFA-78, E
    4) Bill Ehrlinger, Van Diemen RF80, W
    5) Hans Iwand, Eagle, W
    6) Erik Shepard, Hawke DL12, E
    7) Alan Murray, Crossle 45F, W
    8) Ron Tebo, Van Diemen RF78, E

Margin of Victory: 0.088 secs
    Fast Lap: Tipsword, 1:16.818
    Pole: Beeler, 1:16.602

Round #4 Sunday July 10

Formula Ford

1) Blanc
    2) Hopple
    3) Luxon
    4) Nash
    5) Kolell
    6) Lenhart, Ian
    7) Murray, Alex
    8) Bergeron
    9) Foster
    10) Wise
    11) Lenhart, T
    12) Blythe
    13) Payne
    14) Faucett
    15) Tieman
    16) Reineck
    17) Rhoades
    DNF Barnard
    DNS Stillwell

Margin of Victory: 19.543
    Fast Lap: Blanc, 1:13.961
    Pole: Hopple, 1:13.765

Club Formula Ford

1) Duncan
    2) Ehrlinger
    3) Iwand
    4) Tipsword
    5) Shepard
    6) Murray
    DNF Tebo
    DNF Beeler

Margin of Victory: n/a
    Fast Lap: Duncan, 1:16.659
    Pole: Duncan, 1:16.627

Steve Beeler, de facto EWC commissioner
    Lola T-540 HU44
    home: (734)416-8865 sbeeler@wowway.com
    office: (313)390-1818 sbeeler@ford.com

Liked: 42

Default BFR EWC Comments

All,

I've taken the liberty to move the comments on the other thread to here. Hope nobody minds. To be followed by my comments. - Marc

Ron B.

EWC FF Results - pt I

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Congrats to our own Hopspeed with Race 1 win on Saturday. He told me he and fellow MN native and this reporter's sometime drinking pal Jim Nash were duking it out until about 6 laps to go. That's when JEN, with the lead, tangled with a backmarker in turn 3D which allowed Hop to run away with a 9 sec win.

BTW - Hopspeed was dealing with a secondary butterfly sticking open the whole race.......

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Last edited by Ron B. : July 10th, 2005 at 12:27 PM.

Ron B.
    View Public Profile
    Send a private message to Ron B.
    Visit Ron B.'s homepage!
    Find More Posts by Ron B.
    Add Ron B. to Your Buddy List

July 11th, 2005, 1:17 PM #5
    JEN

Brief Sunday FF race report:

Dave Hopple backed up his Sat. pole and race win with another pole on Sunday. Both he and Marc Blanc were in the 1:13s and made up the front row with myself and Bill Barnard on row two. Dave led at the start but was passed by Marc at turn 6 and Marc proceeded to check out to an 18 sec win. It looks like his over heating problems are fixed!

I hung on to Dave as best I could but the gap was not changing much and traffic was going to have to play a role for me to get by. The same could be said for John Luxon running 4th behind me. Dave had a few close calls but managed to lose little time. I had some problems getting around a few people and John caught and passed me with a few laps to go. I couldn’t quite get him back as he took the third spot by .153 sec.

I am pretty sure the CFF winners were Steve Beeler on Sat. and Brian Duncan on Sunday.

Complete results should be up on the BVR website sometime soon.

Jim Nash

JEN
    View Public Profile
    Send email to JEN
    Find More Posts by JEN
    Add JEN to Your Buddy List

July 11th, 2005, 3:41 PM #6
    Dave Hopple

I really do not have much more to add with Jim's report, but other than to congratulate Marc and his team(Bruce & Andy) on Sunday's win! My second hand GY's were just not up to the task in yesterdays heat.

All and all, I had a blast, a win, 2 poles and a 2nd is nothing to bitch about it's still is a lot of fun to drive/race a Formula Ford, regardless of where you finish!

Thanks again to Steve Beeler, Loren Tieman for the food Saturday and ( I hope I don't leave anyone out) Hans Iwand,Gary Payne,Mark Bylthe, Todd Rhoades and Erik Shepard (all the way from NY!) traveling out of Division to race in the EWC!

-Dave

Dave Hopple
    View Public Profile
    Send a private message to Dave Hopple
    Send email to Dave Hopple
    Find More Posts by Dave Hopple
    Add Dave Hopple to Your Buddy List

July 11th, 2005, 9:15 PM #7
    eaglefordracer

The Blackhawk Track and EWC are simply fantastic. Not since I was 14 working a race at Wentzville, Mo. have I seen so many FFords, and this time I got to race with you!

The people, the track, and the EWC challenge have truly restored my interest in CFF racing. I'd like to thank Steve Beeler, as well as all the rest of you racers who got me all fired up again! We hope to see you at Elkhart Lake!

eaglefordracer
    View Public Profile
    Find More Posts by eaglefordracer
    Add eaglefordracer to Your Buddy List

July 12th, 2005, 9:50 AM #8
    DanW
    Contributing Member

EFR,

It was great meeting you and Marne too. We enjoyed Nigel's babysitter/fan club, Hanna. You have a great crew supporting you.

I did get to meet a few people who came by Nigel's "Shady Rest" for a visit. Great meeting some very friendly racers. BHF is a beautiful track and setting for club racing.

Cindy Lindstrand, thank you for inviting us to dinner. Delicious!

I wish I could have met a few more people from the board, but we got a little busy turning wrenches Saturday afternoon and evening. The EWC had a terrific turnout and some great racing.

Best regards,
    Dan Wise

DanW
    View Public Profile
    Send a private message to DanW
    Send email to DanW
    Find More Posts by DanW
    Add DanW to Your Buddy List

July 12th, 2005, 10:14 AM #9
    Ron Tebo

where is the site to look up results, i had it once and forgot to put it in favorites....THANKS.

Ron Tebo
    View Public Profile
    Find More Posts by Ron Tebo
    Add Ron Tebo to Your Buddy List

July 12th, 2005, 10:32 AM #10
    TimW

http://www.bvrscca.org/05Firecracker.htm

You may need to expunge your browser cache to get the updated page with results instead of entry form. CTRL-F5 in IE
    Tim
    FFCoalition.com
    Marc Blanc

Liked: 42

What a great event! Thanks to Blackhawk Valley Region, and Steve Beeler for making the EastWest Challenge THE place to be to race Formula Ford.

Nothing beats starting on the front row of a group of fords that big, unless you do it twice, right Dave?

The EWC Firecracker at Blackhawk Farms event continually seems to live up to the hype, and was well received, and a major topic of discussion at the BVR saturday nite party.

It was great meeting the guys that drove so far to help make the event complete. Hope your long trips home were good.

The LAMONT CUP was on display all weekend, making its rounds through the paddock spaces of the EWC regulars. It's a beautiful trophy, well worth seeing, and representative of the series.

The level of competition was high, with several drivers doing the Friday test day, and the desire to compete was there. Ask the guys that were finishing an engine swap Sat am at 4:00, almost to make first round Q. Lots of other issues, big and small seemed to be fixed by help from paddock to paddock, or loaning parts, or sending someone on to the guy that could and would help him. That all speaks well for the comoradarie in the EWC.

As far as the racing, SatQ1 was good, until the track was oiled down in T1 late in the session. I had a pretty good lap, and decided to sit on that time and scuff tires in Q2. That strategy (which had previously worked with the Crossle in CFF) left us P3 come Race time. I managed to get the lead early from Nash and Hopple, only to discover that we had not yet cured our overheating issue, so dropped back, and eventually came in.

Sunday Q1 was better, getting in the 13's, Q2 wasn't as good after bedding brakes, and we were P2 beside Hopple for the race. The Hoosier tires were great from T1 on, and I quickly got by Dave. Thanks Frisbee tire and Hoosier! Cooling issues were going to be tested again on this typically very hot and humid Firecracker EWC, but the Swift DB16 stayed cool, and performed great for the entire session. Thanks Andy & Bruce for having the patience to get our issues fixed.

Thanks to the BVR tech crew for a short and simple impound procedure, it was appreciated in the heat.

I pulled the lap sheets, so I have all the individual race lap times if anybody wants to know their laps.

We will have the LAMONT cup on display at the Road America Cat National on July 23-24. Stop by and take a look at it if you're attending that event.

Marc Blanc
    FFCoalition.com
    Marc Blanc

Liked: 1

Nothing beats starting on the front row of a group of fords that big, unless you do it twice, right Dave?
    Yeah Marc, sorry I had to knock you off the Sunday pole with a 13.7 W/4 session old tires (in 90 degree heat BTW), a good lesson in racing is, never take anything for granted or assume that things are lock and NEVER SIT ON A TIME! LOL

I managed to get the lead early from Nash and Hopple, only to discover that we had not yet cured our overheating issue, so dropped back, and eventually came in.
    I saw race 1 a little different than that Marc, I believe I re-took the lead back shortly after I lost it rather promptly early in the race also

What a great event! Thanks to Blackhawk Valley Region, and Steve Beeler for making the EastWest Challenge THE place to be to race Formula Ford.
    Now that I agree with! OK enough chest thumping I will also be racing at the CAT National next weekend at Elkhart and if anybody needs/wants a EWC suit patch please stop by my trailer.-Dave

Default Blackhawk EWC award/prize winners

Here are all the details on who won what at Rounds #3 and #4 of the 2005 FF/CFF East vs West Challenge July 9-10 at Blackhawk Farms Raceway. Contingency award eligibility requirements are outlined in the EWC "welcome" letter.

Round #3 (Saturday)

Formula Ford

Slow Qualifier ($100 shop labor credit from Racing Flow Development): Todd Rhoades

First ($200 product certificate from Hoosier Racing Tire + 1 tire from Avon Racing Tires + $100 shop labor credit from Schulz Automotive Machine): Dave Hopple

Second ($100 product certificate from Hoosier Racing Tire): Mark Kolell

Fourth ($50 shop labor credit from Continental Motorsport Services): Alex Murray

Fifth (WIX racing oil filter from CARQUEST Auto Parts): Tony Foster

Passing Bonus ($20 merchandise from Pegasus Auto Racing Supplies): Tony Foster

Flag-to-Flag ($20 merchandise from Pegasus Auto Racing Supplies): Dave Hopple

Fast Lap ($50 manufactured products or shop credit from Two Dogg, Inc): Jim Nash

Club Formula Ford

Slow Qualifier ($100 shop labor credit from Schulz Automotive Machine): Ron Tebo

First ($200 product certificate from Hoosier Racing Tire + $100 shop labor credit from Schulz Automotive Machine): Steve Beeler

Second ($100 product certificate from Hoosier Racing Tire): Tom Tipsword

Fourth ($50 shop labor credit from Continental Motorsport Services): Bill Ehrlinger

Fifth (WIX racing oil filter from CARQUEST Auto Parts): Hans Iwand

Passing Bonus ($20 merchandise from Pegasus Auto Racing Supplies): Tom Tipsword

Flag-to-Flag ($20 merchandise from Pegasus Auto Racing Supplies): Steve Beeler

Fast Lap ($50 manufactured products or shop credit from Two Dogg, Inc): Tom Tipsword

Saturday Evening Prize Drawing

$50 merchandise from International Racing Products: Alan Murray
    $50 merchandise from Shelter Systems: Hans Iwand
    $60 Frisby bucks from Frisby Performance Tire: Marc Blanc and Tom Tipsword
    1-year subscription to FormulaCar Magazine: Steve Olson
    $25 merchandise from DRE / RaceCarSupply.com: Tony Foster
    Aurora rod ends from DRE / RaceCarSupply.com: Steve Beeler and Gary Payne
    Pair of Suspension Springs springs from DRE /RaceCarSupply.com: Erik Shepard
    Pyrotect accessories from DRE / RaceCarSupply.com: Bill Ehrlinger and Ian Lenhart
    $25 SafeQuip restraint system credit from DRE / RaceCarSupply.com: Bill Bergeron
    Weekend getaway package from Cheyboygan Area Chamber of Commerce: Paul Reineck
    "Jake's Book" from Monarch Graphics: Tim Wise
    Case of synthetic oil from Adams Racing: Mark Blythe
    $100 shop labor credit from Murray Motorsports: Alex Murray and Brian Duncan
    $20 merchandise from Pegasus Auto Racing Supplies: Ron Tebo

Round #4 (Sunday)

Formula Ford

Slow Qualifier ($100 shop labor credit from Racing Flow Development): Gary Payne

First ($200 product certificate from Hoosier Racing Tire + 1 tire from Avon Racing Tires +
    $100 shop labor credit from Schulz Automotive Machine): Marc Blanc

Second ($100 product certificate from Hoosier Racing Tire): Dave Hopple

Fourth ($50 shop labor credit from Continental Motorsport Services): Jim Nash

Fifth (WIX racing oil filter from CARQUEST Auto Parts): Mark Kolell

Passing Bonus ($20 merchandise from Pegasus Auto Racing Supplies): Tim Wise

Flag-to-Flag ($20 merchandise from Pegasus Auto Racing Supplies): n/a

Fast Lap ($50 manufactured products or shop credit from Two Dogg, Inc): Marc Blanc

Club Formula Ford

Slow Qualifier ($100 shop labor credit from Schulz Automotive Machine): Ron Tebo

First ($200 product certificate from Hoosier Racing Tire + $100 shop labor credit from Schulz Automotive Machine): Brian Duncan

Second ($100 product certificate from Hoosier Racing Tire): Bill Ehrlinger

Fourth ($50 shop labor credit from Continental Motorsport Services): Tom Tipsword

Fifth (WIX racing oil filter from CARQUEST Auto Parts): Eric Shepard

Passing Bonus ($20 merchandise from Pegasus Auto Racing Supplies): Bill Ehrlinger

Flag-to-Flag ($20 merchandise from Pegasus Auto Racing Supplies): Brian Duncan

Fast Lap ($50 manufactured products or shop credit from Two Dogg, Inc): Brian Duncan

We'll have all this and more at EWC Rounds #5 and #6 August 13-14 at Road America. Many thanks as always to all of the EWC sponsors for their generous support of Formula Ford 1600.

Steve Beeler, de facto EWC commissioner
    Lola T-540 HU44
    Last edited by Steve B; 07.14.05 at 12:49 PM.

Liked: 3

Quote Originally Posted by Steve B
    Fifth (WIX racing oil filter from Pegasus Auto Racing Supplies):
    Small correction -- this one isn't ours. I think Car Quest was doing the Wix filters?

Default Ooops!

John:

Duly noted and corrected...thank you. You are now the de facto EWC copy editor!

Steve
    Last edited by Steve B; 07.14.05 at 1:56 PM.

Liked: 23

Quote Originally Posted by Steve B
    Passing Bonus ($20 merchandise from Pegasus Auto Racing Supplies): Tim Wise
    Cool, so there is a bonus for getting stuck in 4th gear during 2nd qualifying!
    ------------------
    'Stay Hungry'
    JK 1964-1996 #25

Default Wow!

If any event could be justification as to why I was struggling to get a club ford back on track, the EWC Blackhawk double regional was it!

Beautiful weather, wonderful people, and a fun track - I don't think it could've been any better!

Maybe you EWC folks are used to these larger fields, but to be out there with a 30 car strong formula ford field was simply awesome! I'm hoping people aren't too upset with me for being a moving chicane, but I can't emphasize enough what a blast I had racing amongst you all.

Thanks to Steve Beeler for organizing a truly well-run effort. On the forum, one may get a sense of how organized and dedicated Steve is, but you don't get the full effect of what he does until you actually take part - he had the welcome packets (if it needs to be, it's documented in there somewhere, believe me!), the stickers (I don't have that much surface area on my car!), the patches (thanks Dave!) the prizes... Wow!

And the people! Here I am in my role as the ignorant newbie out there by myself and people were falling all over themselves to help me out. EVERYONE was helpful, supportive and encouraging. I'm reluctant to name names because I don't want to leave anyone out, but let me especially thank Hans, his wife Marne, and friend Don, Andy Kilcoyne, his wife Holly, Bruce, Marc Blanc, Paul Reineck, Ian, Tad and Terry Lenhardt as they were the closest to my paddock spot and graciously responded to the brunt of my requests for help. Absolutely wonderful people, the whole group. Thanks also to Loren (and Scott was it?) for putting on a tasty lunch on Saturday. I'd tell you the story of how I made a simple gear change (my first) a living hell for Andy, Holly, Hans, Marne, Don and whoever else decided to walk by my area, but I don't have enough space. Suffice it to say that I appreciate everyone's help and patience.

And it didn't end there - turns out I bumped into the Chief Steward (didn't know it at the time) on Friday night and on Saturday morning she gave me orientation laps of a track I'd never seen. On Saturday after last checker, a gentleman (Bob) who apparently is in training to be next year's flag marshall tracked me down, gave me a Blackhawk welcome gift, offered me his beer and thanked me for making the trip! I don't mean to gush, but could it be more positive? I doubt it!

I look forward to participating in another EWC event and hope that the Mid-Ohio race can compare. With that I wonder, what would it take for some of the EWC "east" folks to venture out to the NEC event at BeaveRun (west-most NEC event I believe)? The tow can't be *that* bad... I have yet to participate in a NEC event, but I attended last year's Limerock 35th festival (thanks Mike Rand) and it's obvious that Steve Beeler, Bob Lutz and John Merriman are on the right track in making large fields of formula fords a reality. If we just coordinate a select few of these races in advance and everyone decides to go to maybe one race out of region, perhaps the huge success (in my opinion) of Blackhawk could be repeated. I'm a newbie - am I off base here?

Thanks ApexSpeed for assisting me in getting the car on track. Thanks to everyone at the Blackhawk event for making what was essentially my first true race weekend in my CF such a positive experience. I'm all fired up, bring on the next race!

Cheers!
    Erik

Default EWC Driver/Team Points

Here are the EWC driver and team championship points through Rounds #3 and #4 July 9-10 at Blackhawk Farms Raceway:

FF Driver Championship

27 Jon Adam, Van Diemen RF98K, E
    23 Dave Hopple, Piper DF-2, W
    22 Jim Nash, Van Diemen RF98, W
    19 Gary Godula, Reynard 88F, E
    14 Tony Foster, Swift DB-1, W
    14 John Luxon, Piper DF-2, FF, W
    14 Mark Kolell, Van Diemen RF85, W
    13 Marc Blanc, Swift DB-6, W
    11 Mark Blythe, Van Diemen RF98, W
    10 Dave Woodmancy, Euroswift SC93F, E
    9 Alex Murray, Swift DB-1, W
    6 Ian Lenhart, Van Diemen RF87, W
    5 Gary Payne, Reynard 88F, W
    5 John Wagner, Van Diemen RF98, E
    5 Bill Bergeron, Van Diemen RF90, W
    4 Paul Reineck, Van Diemen RF86, W
    3 Allen Wheatcroft, Van Diemen RF98, W
    0 Tim Wise, Swift DB-6, W
    0 Tad Lenhart, Tiga FFA-80, W
    0 Bruce Faucett, Van Diemen RF84, E
    0 Todd Rhoades, Swift DB-1, W
    0 Bill Barnard, Van Diemen RF98, W
    0 Loren Tiemen, Reynard 83F, W
    0 Tom Stillwell, Swift DB-1, W
    0 Steve Olson, Euroswift SE-1, W

CFF Driver Championship

35 Brian Duncan, Tiga FFA-78, E
    34 Steve Beeler, Lola T-540, E
    27 Bill Ehrlinger, Van Diemen RF80, W
    16 Tom Tipsword, Van Diemen RF81, E
    15 Michael Baden, Zink Z-10C, E
    12 Hans Iwand, Eagle, W
    12 Alan Murray, Crossle 45F, W
    10 Dave Harmison, Royale RP-21, E
    9 Paul Quiniff, Lola T-540, W
    9 Ron Tebo, Van Diemen RF78, E
    9 Erik Shepard, Hawke DL12, E
    0 John Haydon, Tiga FFA-80, W

Team Championship for the Lamont Cup

189 East
    203 West

Steve Beeler. de facto EWC commissioner
    Lola T-540 HU44

Liked: 2

Default blackhawk EWC

will the results ever be posted on mylaps.com?

just curious.

Thread Information