Thread: Club Atlantic

Contributing Member Allan Davies's Avatar
    Liked: 0

Default Club Atlantic

Just wondering if there's any interest in trying to establish a Club Atlantic regional class, sort of like Club Ford or Club Continental, with the thought of bringing older Atlantic/SV cars out that would otherwise not be competitive with RT40/41's, Swift 008/014's, etc. in a straight Formula Atlantic race.

I know a lot of the older cars are running in vintage groups now, but if someone with a RT4 or DB4 Atlantic or a RT5 or other SV had their own class within a class to run in at SCCA events, perhaps it would attract some cars to SCCA regionals that otherwise wouldn't care to show up.

I reckon the cars are out there...maybe this would help get them onto the track.

If anyone has any other ideas on how to generate interest in running older Atlantics/SV's at SCCA events on a regular basis, I'd love to hear them.

My apologies if this topic has already come up, although I didn't see it in a cursory search of the archives, etc.

Thanks,

Allan

Liked: 555

Allan, this thought has crossed my mind, too, mainly because I have an RT-5 clasified in FA that can't compete with current cars.

I think the only way that something like this might happen would be if there were enough people interested in the idea to gain momentun. My hunch is that there may be a VERY small number of Club Atlantics sitting in peoples' garages, not being raced in SCCA because they can't win.

I may be wrong and there may be several. One challege would be finding them, and then finding out if the owners would start racing with SCCA if this new (regional only?) class was created.

Another option: Create an unofficial class. Keep points amoungst yourselves, etc. If it catches on, then an official class might be created.

In my case, I can run in either FA or FS (as could any Club Atlantic, by simply getting dual homologation). When I run FA, it doesn't bother me to get beat by someone spending 5-10 times more money than me. As long as my lap times are not 5-10 times longer, I'm doing okay, right? :-).
    Racer Russ
    Palm Coast, FL

Thread Information