Fallen Friend
    Liked: 19

Default Cosworth BDG engine for sale

Sooo, I have an opportunity to acquire a new racecar and to do so means I need to quickly move some other shop projects to new homes. This BDG build is one of those projects.

Originally started as a build for a Formula 2 car that I owned, but word got out that I had this car and a gentleman in Australia contacted me about the car – it was ultimately sold it w/o the engine.

The basis for this engine was a Cosworth alloy block, Carillo rods and set of CP pistons sourced from Steve Jennings. Block was already prepped, measured and honed (see photos). Rods and pistons were examined, prepped and deemed usable as well. There was some damage to the block at some point in its life that Steve had professionally repaired and as such is a non-issue.

I had an honest-to-gosh Cosworth crank on the shelf that I was saving for a special build (yep it is now in this engine), along with new bearings, rings, gaskets, etc. A new set of head studs were installed as well. Thus, the basic short block is fully assembled at this point. I have lots of photos of this process and will post some relevant ones. There is also a detailed Build Sheet that comes with the engine. A very nice dry-sump pan closes up the bottom of the block.

The head was purchased from a local F/A racer and it was sent up to Bob Wirth in Fremont, CA to be pressure tested and repaired as needed. Bob did his magic and so the head is ready to be reassembled and installed. During the head inspection the valve springs were tested and while they were functional (i.e. their installed and nose pressures were found acceptable for up to 9,000 rpm) they were not to my satisfaction so a new set of PSI springs were purchased (they produce the springs for all the Indy car engines as well as a lot of other applications). The original springs will come with the engine. Also included is a set of various cam shims.

To complete the valve and spring assembly, NEW valve seals are included and NEW valve spring retainers and locks are also provided. In short, all of the items relating to reliability with regard to springs and valves have been addressed or replaced.

The cam carrier is of course included and comes with a complete set of NEW cam followers (very hard to find and expensive for the BDG). The cams are NEW F2 Kent cams, still in their boxes. The cam cover is a very rare HART cam cover.

The engine comes with two thicknesses of head gaskets so that you can choose the piston-to-valve clearance that you want to run (being conservative I was going to run the thicker head gasket).

I have an oil pump and distributor to go along with the engine but they have not yet been installed. Depending on your particular setup you may need to rework the distributor to match your particular ignition system setup. The oil pump was disassembled, inspected and reassembled with assembly lube so it is ready to go.

A lightened flywheel and a clutch assembly are also included. The clutch will need to be examined and you may decide to install new clutch plates, that is up to you.

There is also a large storage box of various NEW (and proper) nut/bolts/screws to complete the build to the highest quality (see photo).

And now to the best part, the cam pulleys and drive components. Blue Sky offers really trick ADJUSTABLE cam pulleys that allow you to easily change the cam timing of each cam while the belt and pulleys remain on the engine (see photos). They work similar to the way the 911 cam gears work, utilizing a pin that can be moved within a series of holes to give you adjustments one degree at a time w/o having to pull the cam pullies off.

These pulleys are anodized aluminum and are a work of art - PLUS they are extremely LIGHT when compared to the stock steel cam gears (since they are aluminum), well over 50% lighter! Stop for just a moment and think about how that lightness will improve engine operation, especially thru the rev range and at the higher revs.

In addition, a special Kevlar-reinforced cam belt is also included, much stronger than the standard belt. And also included is a new ALUMINUM idler pulley, with new offset shaft and bearings. Intake manifolds are also included as well as new 4-hole-mount machined exhaust plates if you wish to fab your own exhaust or modify an existing one to this engine.

I will also include copious information on the BD series engines, proper cam timing techniques for the F2 cams, Original Cosworth build documents (from 1978), etc. There is also some misc. Cosworth bits that will also be included. My degree wheel does not go with the package but if you want the side engine stand mount I will include that for you.

Asking price is firm at $20,000 for everything and at the price of BDG parts these days this is a bargain. Feel free to call, pm or email. I have more photos but Apex limits an ad to 15 max.

Lee
    951-551-7362
    65356sc@msn.com
    Attached Images Attached Images

Fallen Friend
    Liked: 19

Default Reasonable offer considered

Just thought I would throw this out, I will entertain reasonable offers, this one needs a new home.

Thread Information