Thread: Lola S2

Liked: 13

For Sale Lola S2

SOLD SOLD
    Pictures below in thread.

Lola 86/90 S2 w/updated rear suspension geometry
    Less than 2 hours on freshened Butler engine with uprated cam.
    MXL2 dash data logging w/Satellite w/AIM Evo4. All the usual functions
    New 1 race Tilton clutch assy., spare clutch assy.
    Penske double adjustable shocks w/remote reservoirs all four corners.
    3 sets kodiak aluminum wheels
    1 set with new Hoosier rains
    1 set 4 heat cycle AVONS
    1 set w/sticker Hoosiers
    1 set unmounted Turbo wheels
    16 sets gear ratios (4 in car) 3 spare dog rings, 2 spare shifting forks.
    Spare primed nose.
    Spare ignition parts
    Pictures as soon as I can figure out how to post them.
    PM or email for pictures
    ajbdsr at yahoo dot com
    Tony Bronco 561-635-6047

Pics below in the thread
    Last edited by BRONCO; 03.08.22 at 10:41 PM. Reason: add uprated cam

2. The following members LIKED this post:

Contributing Member phantomjock's Avatar
    Liked: 105

Try this link - to help posting (#3 and #6)

https://www.apexspeed.com/forums/sho...tures-in-Posts

Unless you photo box is full. Then this might help:

https://www.apexspeed.com/forums/sho...delete+picture

Best of luck. We all like pictures!

Cheers - Jim
    When I used to fly Phantoms, I was called an AVIATOR.
    Now I race cars. So, am I now called a PAVIATOR?

Default Lola S2 Pictures

Attached Images Attached Images

5. The following members LIKED this post:

Default Lola S2

[Car has been sold.
    Thanks for all the inquires.

QUOTE=BRONCO;636075][/QUOTE]

Liked: 41

Any story on the Ocelot, for sale?

8. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 1124

A valid question, indeed.

If that’s the real deal, it won the ‘75 Runoffs driven by Kendall Noah of Missouri. Bob Snider from Wisconsin had one, too, to good though less-significant effect.

To my knowledge of the car, which is limited, they may have been the only two of that type built.

The prior version won the ‘73 Runoffs with Ron Dennis, whom I *think* was the manufacturer’s engineering talent, then it went to Donald Wands, the father of a longtime friend, who died in about 1979.
    Once we think we’ve mastered something, it’s over
    https://ericwunrow.photoshelter.com/index

Default Ocelot

It is indeed the car Kendall won the Runoffs in. It is not for sale. I enjoy driving it too much.
    The cars were built in the 70's by Gene Davis and Larry Snider. There were several Mk V such as this one built. In-fact, I owned one back in the early 80s' that is why when this one became available I snapped it up. Gene told me there were about 30 Ocelots built which included a couple of S-2000. I will see if I can get a better picture posted.

Quote Originally Posted by E1pix View Post
    A valid question,

If that’s the real deal, it won the ‘75 Runoffs driven by Kendall Noah of Missouri. Bob Snider from Wisconsin had one, too, to good though less-significant effect.

To my knowledge of the car, which is limited, they may have been the only two of that type built.

The prior version won the ‘73 Runoffs with Ron Dennis, whom I *think* was the manufacturer’s engineering talent, then it went to Donald Wands, the father of a longtime friend, who died in about 1979.

11. The following members LIKED this post:

Thanks for your reply, I have at least one image of the car in ‘75 — but alas, it’ll be years before it’ll get scanned (we travel full-time).

I fail to recall the engine, and also very much remember the Richard Shirey Astech that took second from sheer driving will.

More photos would be great to see whenever possible. Brings back even better memories for my friend, who tuned Mr. Wands’ ex-Dennis car when he was like 12. Those were the days.

My friend and former AMA Superbike racer, Steve Wands, just shared this image with me to post here.

Being that your car has sold, Tony, I thought you might appreciate a little history of both Ocelot and the US origins of Sports 2000.

Below is Donald Wands in the ex-Ron Dennis, 1973 Runoffs-winning Ocelot at IRP in 1976. The water-cooled engine was a Suzuki GT750 bored out to 850 cc, and promptly termed the “Water Buffalo.” Steve cut the Ocelot graphic himself when 11.

Shortly after this image was taken, the car was re-bodied, painted a golden-orange, and numbered 38 in deference to the age of Donald’s wife — and to her extreme dislike. Wands ran the car in Central Division through 1977.

Then late in 1977 or early ‘78, Wands and his friend John Cahill approached perennial Lola importer Carl Haas, in an attempt to convince him to bring in the first five Lola T492 Sports 2000 cars into the States.

They were successful; the blue car going to Wands, an orange one to Cahill, a red car to Bob Snider, a white one to Mark Daniels, and a yellow car going to Gary Roubinek.

The first Runoffs for S2000 was in 1980, and won by the Wands’ fellow Peoria, Illinois resident Steve Glassey, a good friend and memorable host in his racing garage.

Don Wands won several SCCA Nationals, fell ill around Labor Day, 1979, and died within a month of pancreatic cancer — just as 14 year-old Steve was about to race karts.

Last edited by E1pix; 04.12.22 at 10:43 AM. Reason: corrections thanks to next post

14. The following 2 users liked this post:

Liked: 12

5th car was yellow and went to Gary Roubiniek (?sp)

Mark Daniels and Gary R at Mid-Ohio 1978

First runoffs with S2's was in '78 when they ran as BSR's, '79 they ran as ASR's. 1980 was the first year S2 was a national class.

First Ocelot S2 at '79 runoffs...

Last edited by tiga57; 04.12.22 at 9:28 AM.

16. The following 2 users liked this post:

Thanks for the corrections, Mark!

Nice to see you here. I do recall your orange Titan Mk9 (a late friend ran one, too), I reported for The Drift in my mid-teens, and lived in Oconomowoc.

Steve and I both struggled with the fifth car. He didn’t think it was Lewis but I did for some reason. Think Gary’s spelling was “Roubinek.”

And now I remember the S2 Ocelot, thanks for the photo. Was that Dick Jacobs, or?

Liked: 12

Thanks E1, you are remembering my dad who passed a while ago, many many great memories and friends still from those days.

The exact details of this Ocelot I'm not sure. Larry and Gene built it with the swelling popularity of the class end of '79. Pretty sure it was the DSR design with a 2L before they went on to build the Mk6 S2's etc. They had it at the runoffs for show and tell and when one of the CenDiv qualifiers was a no show at Atlanta they offered the car to my dad. He was attending the Runoffs to crew and spectate, he was 4th in division and fortunately brought his suit and helmet just in case and it worked out. He barely fit in it with the full DSR style roll cage with his head jammed up against the bars and his knees in the dash hoop, not the safest arrangement, but wanted to race. Needless to say the results were not his best but it was the Runoffs and just qualifying for them was different back then. Not sure what happened to this particular car, being tube framed perhaps it was evolved and rebodied when Cahill, Witz and Braaten campaigned them. The trailer alone speaks volumes of the efforts in those days!

Sorry that this is off in the weeds Bronco, some obscure S2 history to go along with your sale!

19. The following members LIKED this post:

(with continuing though increasingly-pointless apologies to our gracious host!)

Thank You, Mark!

This makes more sense... wasn’t your Dad’s name spelled with a “c” as I had before thinking it a typo? And... sorry to hear, our condolences.

We already got a laugh out of the trailer being used for a “show car.” Great story, your Dad crammed in, every bump in the road probably hurt, but Runoffs after all and a true racer!

Yes, it was extraordinarily difficult to qualify for the Runoffs back then. When your Dad ran in FF, there were probably 15 or 20 guys in Cen Div capable of podium finishes. I'm quite sure there were 99 FF starters at the June Sprints one year, but my records are stored and inaccessible now.

All 15 or 20 (and more) would be allowed at the Runoffs today with the current rules, meaning, there were so many FF drivers that those rules couldn’t work now — or at least not without a qualifying race (or several!) like we’ve recently seen in SRF3 and Spec Miata at Indy.

By the way Mark, one of my few articles to get scanned was The Drift, Sep. '75 (I think). It covered the Sprints and a Blackhawk National in May, PM if of interest. I was not quite 15 when written, and not exactly Pete Lyons, but...

To the OP and this thread-car's new owner, know we just bought our first race car and can post the link for the ad for thread-thrash payback, should you desire.

Thanks for allowing the wanderings.

Default lots of Ocelot

No problem Tiga57. My Lola S2 has been sold a number of weeks now and I am enjoying the thread. Keep it going

(with continuing though increasingly-pointless apologies to our gracious host!)

Thank You, Mark!

This makes more sense... wasn’t your Dad’s name spelled with a “c” as I had before thinking it a typo? And... sorry to hear, our condolences.

We already got a laugh out of the trailer being used for a “show car.” Great story, your Dad crammed in, every bump in the road probably hurt, but Runoffs after all and a true racer!

Yes, it was extraordinarily difficult to qualify for the Runoffs back then. When your Dad ran in FF, there were probably 15 or 20 guys in Cen Div capable of podium finishes. I'm quite sure there were 99 FF starters at the June Sprints one year, but my records are stored and inaccessible now.

All 15 or 20 (and more) would be allowed at the Runoffs today with the current rules, meaning, there were so many FF drivers that those rules couldn’t work now — or at least not without a qualifying race (or several!) like we’ve recently seen in SRF3 and Spec Miata at Indy.

By the way Mark, one of my few articles to get scanned was The Drift, Sep. '75 (I think). It covered the Sprints and a Blackhawk National in May, PM if of interest. I was not quite 15 when written, and not exactly Pete Lyons, but...

To the OP and this thread-car's new owner, know we just bought our first race car and can post the link for the ad for thread-thrash payback, should you desire.

Thanks for allowing the wanderings.

22. The following members LIKED this post:

Thanks!

Actually tempted to branch this off into a "DSR from the Old Days" type thread, if there's enough interest.

But won't if there isn't.

My wife and I attended the former "DSR Party," now called the "P Party" (not my name, Haha) at the Runoffs in 2006, '07, '08, '14, '16, and '17.

If some of those attendees are here, and/or those from the day, throw down now and let's do it.

Liked: 710

My wife and I attended the former "DSR Party," now called the "P Party" (not my name, Haha) at the Runoffs in 2006, '07, '08, '14, '16, and '17.

If some of those attendees are here, and/or those from the day, throw down now and let's do it.
    I was probably at the parties in '14, '16, and '17 (and several before that). Let's do it.
    Mike Beauchamp
    RF95 Prototype 2

Get your FIA rain lights here:
    www.gyrodynamics.net/product/cartek-fia-rain-light/

25. The following members LIKED this post:

Default Ocelot

You must be referring to the Pigs parties. I was one of em. We were all from Florida except for Bob Urso who is from PA.
    Consisted of Mike Schmidt, Chip Haddock, Danny Cadow me and Bob all of us were DSR guys, actually still are. We are all active except for Danny. Chip and I run in Vintage races out of South East with VDCA. Mike still runs a few regionals now and then. Same with Bob.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike B View Post
    I was probably at the parties in '14, '16, and '17 (and several before that). Let's do it.

I think Mike was referring to what I was, the “DSR Parties,” specifically at the Runoffs. Jean-Luc Liverato hosted a few, not sure who else. Normally in the paddock, but Indy’s in ‘17 was in the campground outside Indycar Turn 4.

Mike, I’ll PM you soon to ponder the thread so it can have some legs.

Liked: 0

Default norma

Hi Tony, thanks for the PM I replied, but not sure it worked.
    Interested in your offer
    I will call you next week.
    Bill

Thread Information