Thread: Swift 008 NST

Liked: 0

Wanted To Buy Swift 008 NST

Does anyone have a spare NST? I mostly need the case itself. The inners are not as important.

Liked: 30

Is your existing case cracked internally or something more major?

two or three internal cracks, one is migrating
    Attached Images Attached Images

Liked: 30

I have two that look similar, it seems to be a weakness, however when I discussed with Hewland Classic and they studied photos they provided the below response;

"With regards to the cracking problem, that is a regular occurrence on the gearboxes running gears of a relatively small centre distance due to the bearings being quite close together. From experience I would not recommend weld repair, you will put so much heat into that area it is very likely the bearing bores will become out of tolerance to their original location. The very small wall thickness pretty much rules out the possibility to use a sleeve. With just the single crack running from pinion bearing to layshaft bearing I would not be overly concerned, the 6 bolt F3 bearing housing should do a nice job of preventing the crack opening up. The additional crack running off to the side makes it more of a problem because there is a chance for a large section of the maincase to become dislodged. The only real fix is to replace the maincase, not such an issue with the Mk9 gearbox because the cases are relatively inexpensive. I do have the last available NST maincase, unfortunately the pattern work was destroyed in a time long before we have been around to try and look after the classic gearboxes. For this reason I would very much like to hold onto this for the future potential to re-produce it. Of course I would not like to stop anybody from racing so should there be a desperate requirement we could let it go if the customer was willing to provide their scrap maincase."

I opted to keep running and monitor closely, there are other owners that upgraded to the later SG4 (014) gearbox.

Round two:

Does anyone have a NST case with fewer cracks or does anyone have a SG4 they would be willing to sell?

Please let me know of any leads or spares you would be willing to part with.

Bill Argyle 99 Swift 008

Liked: 4

Quote Originally Posted by coft View Post
    Round two:

Does anyone have a NST case with fewer cracks or does anyone have a SG4 they would be willing to sell?

Please let me know of any leads or spares you would be willing to part with.

Bill Argyle 99 Swift 008
    Hi Bill, I have a spare NST with no cracks if you are still in need.

Steven
    Call or text 619.890.0765

Liked: 4

Sorry Bill, please disregard. Upon further inspection, the one case I have remaining is cracked identical to yours.

Steven

Thread Information