Thread: Phil Jerominski

Liked: 3787

Default Phil Jerominski

2020 and Covid19 sucks big time.

Phil Jerominski has gone to the starter's stand in the sky.
    We can't even imagine the grief that Joan is going through.

Let me tell you my totally biased memory of Phil:

Phil was the greatest starter I ever met. He started thousands of races in his lifetime.
    I have sat with Phil and discussed his craft.
    Here is the thing. Phil didn't have any stupid ego where he played some kind of game with the competitors to prove he was important. His emphasis was on safety. He explained to me that the earlier he could throw the flag to an organized field the safer the field would be getting to turn one. Phil also understood the rules of the game. Many times early in a season Phil would have to teach the newbies and wannabes the rules of starting.
    I stood behind Phil for many starts and watched him do his job. I was impressed that something I had thought was easy really did require a good base of knowledge and judgement and quick thinking.
    I have watched Phil occasionally wave off a start. But always with good reason.
    Phil also had great radio etiquette. He was clear and concise. always cool under fire. When you have a whole staff on a channel that is so important.

For every start there is a finish. And Phil waved the checker for those thousands of starts. He was a huge fan and appreciated the effort every racer made trying to make it to the finish. He was a walking history book of racing finishes.

Right now I'm sure he is talking with Dave Panas about starting the next race on that racetrack in the sky.

Liked: 955

Our sincerest condolences to you and his family.
    “Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty.” -Peter Egan

Contributing Member hdsporty1988's Avatar
    Liked: 193

So very sorry for your and his family's loss. You're so right 2020 and COVID19 suck.

Contributing Member
    Liked: 863

Phil was FRP's starter from the onset of the Series to recently when he had some passing health issues. To echo Mike's post above, he taught me how to start a race as well as how to finish one. He had a handle on where every car was and what what happening around the track during every session; pure concentration. He knew who was fast, who was slow and in many cases could anticipate a developing situation before most others.

SCCA and racing have lost yet another precious resource.
    ----------
    In memory of Joe Stimola and Glenn Phillips

Liked: 3

When I first started with FRP in Timing, I would watch Phil on the start stand and be in total awe as he excelled in every aspect. I would watch him and try to learn as much as I could from him. I would talk to him and soak up any tidbits of knowledge and perspective that he could offer. Now that I am on the starter stand, I constantly find myself going back to those memories so that any situation that arises, I am hopefully as prepared as possible. Phil was not only the greatest starter that I have ever known, he was also a great human. His smile was infectious and whether we were at a race track talking, or on a cruise ship enjoying beautiful weather and food, it was always a pleasure to be in his company. My heart is breaking for Joan right now as I can't even imagine what she is going through.
    Bryon Prokopf

6. The following 3 users liked this post:

Thread Information