Liked: 5

Default VR vs Multi-Screen vs Single large screen

I'm in the process of putting together my first sim rig. I'm budgeting for a good mid level rig. I cant seem to decide on what to do for my display. Do I go VR with an oculus rift, multi-screen or a single large screen display. What do you use / prefer and why? Im leaning towards VR.

Thanks!

Liked: 9

I tested several setups and I went with 1 43" 4k screen. Triples are nice to get more peripheral but take up a lot of room. I use mine mostly for learning new tracks, braking points, lines etc. so the side view is not as important as when racing wheel to wheel.

The VR made me a little sick after a while, although the immersion is outstanding. They say the nausea goes away after you get used to it, I will revisit it sometime. The other downside to VR for me was finding the mouse and flipping it up to type or look around the room.
    I did go with this setup and really like it. I did alter it to get the screen closer to be at the proper distance but it was easy to do.
    GTR Simulator GTAF-S-S105LBLWHT - GTA-F Model (Silver) Triple or Single Monitor Stand with Blue/White Adjustable Leatherette Seat, Racing Simulator Co

Liked: 138

100% vr

Liked: 36

I did three smaller screens for a while but hated the bezel between, keep in mind these were older/cheap screens. Right now I'm using a 36" television sitting right behind the steering wheel and I like it more than the old triples. I'm hoping to be running VR by the end of the year. From the half hour 'test session' I had with VR in the fall it is the way to go.
    Van Diemen RF78 #258

Classifieds Super License Matt Clark's Avatar
    Liked: 357

something to consider, is that VR needs a pretty snotty PC to make it look good. if you don't have that, you won't be happy with the visual quality of the VR.
    I have triple 24" monitors now, but if I was to change, I would do the Samsung curved 49" ones.
    ~Matt Clark | RTJ-02 FV #92 | My YouTube Onboard Videos (helmet cam)

Liked: 447

Going from a 27" single monitor that I've had for 10 years, my next step is VR. I'm waiting for the pricepoint/experience to come down a little more though. I haven't been monitoring it too closely yet though since my PC was equally as old as my monitor and I just upgraded that. From my initial investigation, the resolution and screen door effect (seeing pixels) wasn't worth the investment, but I believe it has gotten better since I last looked into it.
    2003 VanDiemen FSCCA #29
    Follow me on Twitter @KeithCarter74

Liked: 447

Quote Originally Posted by Jamesbe View Post
    100% vr
    Are you using an Oculus Rift?
    2003 VanDiemen FSCCA #29
    Follow me on Twitter @KeithCarter74

Yes. The new rift s is better. I've had it for 2 years now maybe 3... anyways if I were buying now I'd look at the steam headset it looks much sharper.

Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk

Liked: 142

VR, HTC vive, 1000x better than screens. That said some people get motion sick in VR so try it out before you commit to buying.
    Awww, come on guys, it's so simple. Maybe you need a refresher course. Hey! It's all ball bearings nowadays.

Liked: 11

My son prefers his single curved 165 Hz 27” monitor right over the steering wheel over his Oculus Quest and the 50” TV. He says the details are more crisp. I’d like to try triple monitors, I think it’ll be better for racing. Any of those options is good for learning new tracks.

Justin

The details are better. But honestly when driving fast you are not looking at the details. You are focusing ahead and you only take in the relevant info.

Hated the screen door effect at first. Don't even notice it now because I just focus ahead.

Being able to turn my head to see the apex is key really.

I'm easily 2 sec slower on a monitor.

Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk

12. The following 2 users liked this post:

Contributing Member
    Liked: 79

I had a triple monitor setup for a long time. Perfectly happy with it. But recently, I've stumbled into a "vintage" Oculus Rift DK2. The graphics are awful and my PC can barely run it....but I took the monitors down that same day and will never go back! It's awesome.
    I feel VR is still in the early to mid adopter stage so it's not always plug and play, but whatever you build for a PC, make sure it is VR capable. You'll get there sooner than later

A
    Last edited by ajpastore; 06.16.20 at 6:22 PM.

14. The following members LIKED this post:

Thread Information