Liked: 692

Default Original rFactor on windows 10?

I tried to load rFactor on my new laptop, and it seemed to load. However, when I pull it up and try to load a track, the screen just changes to the desktop. The program seems to be working up to that point. The entro plays, music, video. It lets me choose "test" and select a track, but when I hit "load track", it just goes back to the computer desktop. It doesn't seem to be minimized, it's just gone. Anyone know if this is a windows 10 thing?
    Jim
    Swift DB-1
    Talent usually ends up in front, but fun goes from the front of the grid all the way to the back.

Liked: 449

Are you running it through Steam?
    2003 VanDiemen FSCCA #29
    Follow me on Twitter @KeithCarter74

No, off the original disc
    Jim
    Swift DB-1
    Talent usually ends up in front, but fun goes from the front of the grid all the way to the back.

Liked: 449

I had a similar issue, but mine was just minimized. Running it from disk is no longer updated so I would migrate it to Steam since rF2 is there as well. I can't exactly recall how to do that though.
    2003 VanDiemen FSCCA #29
    Follow me on Twitter @KeithCarter74

Thanks Keith,
    I didn't spring for a graphics card [wasn't offered on the black-friday deal], so Steam says I don't have the minimum requirements for rFactor, even though the video intro plays well on my new laptop. I may try the old laptop with a VGA to USb adapter, even though it won't get the most out of the old desk-top's bigger monitor. Just trying to get something that will allow me to learn tracks, without spending a bunch.
    Thanks
    Jim
    Swift DB-1

6. The following members LIKED this post:

Contributing Member
    Liked: 26

Hi, I also recently started using rFactor again. I had to install from Steam (which cost like $20 to buy there). The video requirements are not too high - it runs fine on my 10 y/o I7 running Win10 without a graphics card. I am in the process of upgrading to a graphics card so I can run rFactor2 which requires 2GB of video ram.

Side note, it is now pretty hard to find track and car mods for the old rFactor. A board member here helped by giving me an FV car and I eventually was able to find most SEDIV tracks on a game server site. If you need help let me know and I'll try to find more info for you.

Good luck,
    Rich

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_G_SC View Post
    Hi, I also recently started using rFactor again. I had to install from Steam (which cost like $20 to buy there). The video requirements are not too high - it runs fine on my 10 y/o I7 running Win10 without a graphics card. I am in the process of upgrading to a graphics card so I can run rFactor2 which requires 2GB of video ram.

Side note, it is now pretty hard to find track and car mods for the old rFactor. A board member here helped by giving me an FV car and I eventually was able to find most SEDIV tracks on a game server site. If you need help let me know and I'll try to find more info for you.

Good luck,
    Rich

many thanks. It will take awhile, but if I can get it running acceptably on my current computer, I'll send you a PM. I will probably have to buy some new pedals first, and that's a hurt, but new pedals and new gaming computer is just too much for what I want to do. Hopefully, Steam's version will run on my laptop, and my laptop will drive my old, large monitor adequately.
    Jim
    Swift DB-1

Liked: 94

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_G_SC View Post

Good luck,
    Rich
    Rich - Culd you please post a link to where you found the SEDIV tracks?

Thanks,
    Doug

Liked: 903

Not sure if you've found anything yet or not, but I have saved the Roebling Road track some time ago on my website since it was VERY hard to find. I'm not using rFactor now and haven't for a while, but it should work for you.
    Good luck.
    Steve

http://wedgeracing.com/roebling_road_for_rFactor.htm

Steve, FV80
    Racing since '73 - FV since '77

Liked: 94

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Davis View Post
    Not sure if you've found anything yet or not, but I have saved the Roebling Road track some time ago on my website since it was VERY hard to find. I'm not using rFactor now and haven't for a while, but it should work for you.
    Good luck.
    Steve

http://wedgeracing.com/roebling_road_for_rFactor.htm

Thank you very much!

Contributing Member

I'm in the process of rebuilding my PC which is why I haven't replied with the track links. I hope to be up and running this weekend. I will post as soon as I can get to my files.

Contributing Member

Default Rfactor1 Track & Mods location

Sorry this took so long. I've been overhauling a PC for sim use and it just was a longer process than I thought.

This site has a bunch of mod files, tracks etc. This is the best source I've found. It's a little challenging to navigate but I bet you'll find most of what you are looking for here: http://tt.servegame.com:100/RFACTOR1/

Good luck!

Thread Information