Liked: 2

Default Zinc Z10 Bodywork

I am looking for new or like new Zinc Z10 bodywork. What I have works but is tired and after many repairs, heavy. I have a new nose, looking for the center body section and engine cover. Any suggestions, anyone? Thanks.

Liked: 309

Quote Originally Posted by mwirrick View Post
    I am looking for new or like new Zinc Z10 bodywork. What I have works but is tired and after many repairs, heavy. I have a new nose, looking for the center body section and engine cover. Any suggestions, anyone? Thanks.
    I'm pretty sure Steve Lathrop still makes it. His is an active user here, so you can look him up on the member list and send him a PM. Good luck! Stan
    Stan Clayton
    Stohr Cars

Liked: 2

Quote Originally Posted by Stan Clayton View Post
    I'm pretty sure Steve Lathrop still makes it. His is an active user here, so you can look him up on the member list and send him a PM. Good luck! Stan

Thanks. I've talked quite a bit with Steve and learned a lot from him. He's also made me an upright that is fabulous. Unfortunately, Zinc molds seem to have "gone missing," as they say. No one previously involved with the car seems to know where any are. The search continues. May try making my own!

Liked: 309

Good luck with the molds. We've made plenty from customers' old bodywork...just fix them up as perfect and straight as possible, apply a fresh coat of bright white paint, wait 30 days, and go to it!
    Stan Clayton
    Stohr Cars

Liked: 1415

I do have the molds for the original Zink Z10 cowl. nose and side pods.

The problem is that the original cowl will not cover a forward dash hoop. Rolin Butler made molds for The Zink Z10 that did work with updated roll bar requirements. My understanding is that those molds have gone missing.

Liked: 95

Didn't the Beasleys make Z10 coachwork? I believe Al Jr is an Apexspeeder.
    Jack Bartelt
    Lola T540 CFF

Liked: 956

Quote Originally Posted by S Lathrop View Post
    I do have the molds for the original Zink Z10 cowl. nose and side pods.

The problem is that the original cowl will not cover a forward dash hoop. Rolin Butler made molds for The Zink Z10 that did work with updated roll bar requirements. My understanding is that those molds have gone missing.
    My Z10 had the early bodywork. The center section near the steering wheel was simply cut to clear the forward roll hoop. Worked fine.

Regards,
    Dan
    “Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty.” -Peter Egan

Contributing Member charleswdaniels63's Avatar
    Liked: 20

Default Anybody need a nose mold?

I have what was once DanW's Z10 nose mold, but I don't have any need for it. If anyone needs one, get in touch.

9. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 107

that is how mine is too - it's the "square" 'ish cowl around the front hoop. and has 2 little notches taken out and the hoop is about level, honestly I've never thought anything of it and it looks fine to me! but for all i know, my cowl might be a little different....

Quote Originally Posted by DanW View Post
    My Z10 had the early bodywork. The center section near the steering wheel was simply cut to clear the forward roll hoop. Worked fine.

Regards,
    Dan
    BT29-24 Swift DB1 Matra M530

Liked: 956

Quote Originally Posted by charleswdaniels63 View Post
    I have what was once DanW's Z10 nose mold, but I don't have any need for it. If anyone needs one, get in touch.
    Charles, I was wondering where it went. Did the rest of the Zink get parted out? Bob said the engine went to another local FF guy. I liked the Hewland in that car, it shifted nice and smooth. The chassis was a bit heavy but it was really stiff and strong.

Regards,
    Dan
    “Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty.” -Peter Egan

12. The following members LIKED this post:

Quote Originally Posted by DanW View Post
    Charles, I was wondering where it went. Did the rest of the Zink get parted out? Bob said the engine went to another local FF guy. I liked the Hewland in that car, it shifted nice and smooth. The chassis was a bit heavy but it was really stiff and strong.

Regards,
    Dan
    Sadly, the chassis and body were beyond repair after the high speed impact with the concrete wall. Sean Hearne of Albuquerque (now of Tennessee) bought the undamaged engine. I bought everything else and trailered it home. The gearbox was salvageable, but little else, and I put it in one of my Crossles. I will inventory and post for sale the few remaining usable bits and pieces.

Contributing Member
    Liked: 49

Quote Originally Posted by fitfan View Post
    that is how mine is too - it's the "square" 'ish cowl around the front hoop. and has 2 little notches taken out and the hoop is about level, honestly I've never thought anything of it and it looks fine to me! but for all i know, my cowl might be a little different....
    Fitfan - any chance you could post a pic of what that looks like on the car? I have a couple bodywork options for a Z-10 I'm working on, and might be an option for me.

Thanks,
    Phil

Contributing Member Garey Guzman's Avatar
    Liked: 860

Quote Originally Posted by charleswdaniels63 View Post
    .... Sean Hearne of Albuquerque (now of Tennessee) bought the undamaged engine.....
    Just curious - what does Sean have and where in TN? Us open-wheel racers are pretty rare in this part of the country! Just met a guy from Knoxville with a DB1.
    Garey Guzman
    FF #4 (Former Cal Club member, current Atlanta Region member)
    https://redroadracing.com/ (includes Zink and Citation Registry)
    https://www.thekentlives.com/ (includes information on the FF Kent engine, chassis and history)

16. The following members LIKED this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Garey Guzman View Post
    Just curious - what does Sean have and where in TN? Us open-wheel racers are pretty rare in this part of the country! Just met a guy from Knoxville with a DB1.
    Sean and his Crossle 40F just moved to Knoxville, where he is now directing some kind of nanotechnology project at Oak Ridge. He is a great guy and a fine, safe, and competitive racer (won the SVRA FF race at Sonoma last year). He is mentioned in Andy Pilgrim's recent Automobile magazine online article about racing vintage Formula Fords with SVRA at COTA. Andy is going to race FFs with Sean and me again at Indy this year. For pleasure, in between sessions in some kind of Ferrari.

18. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 73

Default Zink Z10 molds

I have located the molds and will be in contact with the mold owner soon.
    There has been some deaths and movement of storage facilities, etc. I'm in the process of sleuthing and will have more details next week.
    In the meanwhile, let me know what you are looking for.
    JD
    Zink Z10

Contributing Member Garey Guzman's Avatar
    Liked: 860

Quote Originally Posted by J.D. King View Post
    There has been some deaths and movement of storage facilities, etc. I'm in the process of sleuthing and will have more details next week.
    Let me know if there's any Z16 stuff in there!
    Garey Guzman
    FF #4 (Former Cal Club member, current Atlanta Region member)
    https://redroadracing.com/ (includes Zink and Citation Registry)
    https://www.thekentlives.com/ (includes information on the FF Kent engine, chassis and history)

Liked: 73

Default Molds in hand (no cockpit surround)

I have molds for a tail section, side pods, and nose in my possession.
    Let me know what you need.

Quote Originally Posted by J.D. King View Post
    JD
    Zink Z10

Thread Information