Liked: 2

Default WTB Spitfire style center, 5.5” wide rime

I need at least 3 and would take 4 of the steel Formula Ford wheels with the Spitfire style center and 5.5” wide rims for my 1972 Titan Mk 6.

Thank you,

Mike

Contributing Member Garey Guzman's Avatar
    Liked: 863

Default This style?

Attached Images Attached Images
    Garey Guzman
    FF #4 (Former Cal Club member, current Atlanta Region member)
    https://redroadracing.com/ (includes Zink and Citation Registry)
    https://www.thekentlives.com/ (includes information on the FF Kent engine, chassis and history)

Liked: 17

Default Triumph pattern rims

Hi Garey, My memory is failing me - there are two styles of 5.5" steel triumph PCD rims . One looks similar to the Lotus Cortina centres, the other as per the photos. All hard to find.

Triumph GT6 had 13x5.5" rims.

I'm new to VFF so I'm learning. I'm not looking for these wheels but I thought it would help the original poster if I posted a picture of mine to confirm that's what he's looking for. I don't know the 2 styles you mention, just that my car came with the set pictured and a set of Wellers.
    Garey Guzman
    https://www.thekentlives.com/ (includes information on the FF Kent engine, chassis and history)

Liked: 26

I dont belive Triumph used anything wider than 13 x 5 on Spitfires or GT 6's, and most of the later styled wheels are only 13 x 4 1/2 . Just the last 2 years of Spitfires got the wider 5 inch wheels.

As far as I can tell any 5 1/2 wide , steel "Triumph" style wheel is aftermarket.
    TR7's used a wider { 5 1/2 ? } wheel however they have an oddball lug nut that does not have tapered nut seats. A steel wheel version of sleeve nuts and hubcentric mounting.

You could have TR 7 rims welded on to Spitfire centers by a wheel shop but it is probably easier to buy aftermarket 5 1/2 wheels.

Greg, just been through this on my auto X car.

Liked: 106

Take spitfire centers and put them in a newer 5.5" outer shell (VW, neon, some GM).

Not difficult, just time consuming.
    Gary Tholl
    #24 BlurredVisionRacing

Default Spitfire style FF wheels

Hi All,

Technology isn’t my strongest area and I couldn’t figure out where this wanted ad went; hence no replies.

I found a guy in Quebec City with this style wheels and plan on driving up there from my home in Maine to pick them up later in the month.

To respond a couple of questions/comments, I don’t think the photo of the car someone posted has the correct wheels but can’t tell because of the motion. I have Spitfire wheels and have in the past had the rims replaced with TR7 5.5”. it works and results in good wheels but it is relatively expensive. The TR7 rim is slightly different but that difference isn’t visible on the car. As far as replacing with modern wheels, the series where I run (VRG) doesn’t allow alloy wheels on Historic Fords. Plus, I want my Titan Mk 6 to be as close to original as possible; both reasons for going with the Dunlop 5.5 X 13 Spitfire style.

If I could figure out how I would post a photo of the car with the correct Spitfire style wheels.

Thanks all and sorry I didn’t reply sooner.

Fallen Friend
    Liked: 168

Back in the day, often took Spitfire centers and replaced rims....Corvair 13 x 5.5 steel rims were a common source. Imagine others available...Not many folks around today that have done that type of fabrication...most say not possible....thus high cost...yet, many were done in backyards earlier.....no parts in junkyards today, either....

(Try finding a transmission shop to do a 3spd BW w/od std. gearbox.......wasn't that odd back in 70's...today: locally, no shop has anyone old enough to have seen/done one...no sources on parts..little interest. Same thing with those carburator "thingies"... Sigh...life moves on, skills die off....)

Surprised to see so many early Fords on alloy rims, in vintage....... those definitely weren't an option, pre 72....

Bob L.

Quote Originally Posted by mikestum View Post
    If I could figure out how I would post a photo of the car with the correct Spitfire style wheels....
    How about these:
    Garey Guzman

Default Spitfire style rims

The rims on the yellow #32 are what I was looking for prior to finding the guy in Quebec City. A friend noted my helplessness on posting photos and volunteered to post a photo of my car with rims mounted.

Liked: 16

This is Mike's car and the wheels he is looking for:
    Rob Zatz

Liked: 961

Default Dunlop wheels?

The wheels currently on your car appear to be Dunlop wheels as used by UK FF racers.
    “Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty.” -Peter Egan

Liked: 40

Hi, I have this set of the Dunlop FF wheels that would sell if you are interested, though would need shipping from the UK
    Attached Images Attached Images

Liked: 26

Quote Originally Posted by Garey Guzman View Post
    How about these:
    Those sure look wider than 5.5 wide.

Greg

Liked: 811

Curious why go to the trouble of welding some other rim shells to Triumph centers?
    By that point, "originality" is gone, so why not simply buy Wellers or similar?
    Is it weight savings? Unlikely to be cost savings .... ?
    thx
    Ian Macpherson
    Savannah, GA
    Race prep, support, and engineering.

Liked: 87

Default Dunlop wheels

Mike,

I will go through my inventory, I went on a buying spree for Dunlop wheels many years ago and bought multiple sets as I had three cars that used them. (13 x 5.5 with 4 on 3.75 bolt circle) A lot of racers would bend a wheel or two from an accident and buy a set of Wellers and their remaining ones went on shelf, so buying them in lots of two or three is a good option.
    It is important to note I never found any cracking at the lug holes, I did find the more they were bolted on cars, the lug holes can become a bit flared open...
    I love the wheel because of its great period look and I believe it will be the lightest thing you will find.

Info in few days,
    Mike Winebrenner

Quote Originally Posted by GreginCanada View Post
    Those sure look wider than 5.5 wide.

Greg
    They are. Car is in another country and they have different rim rules. They allow wider wheels, I'm assuming because of the difficulty in getting original ones/
    Garey Guzman

Liked: 17

I have 4 Dunlop FFord wheels for sale

Liked: 47

Default Steel FF wheels

I've got a bunch of these. send me an email and I'll send photos.

speedstarinc@sbcglobal.net

Thread Information