Thread: Duck Waddle

Fallen Friend
    Liked: 168

Default Duck Waddle

Had email that Duck passed away... think source was FB... no real details supplied with the email....someone replied: Double pneumonia. Sue had passed earlier...

After the Air Force, he and Sue had long career with SCCA in MWDIV, followed with vintage racing..... A DSR guy when I met him.... Later, was a principle driving instructor for several vintage groups.

Got a link to article in Hutch paper back from 2013....

https://www.hutchnews.com/article/20...News/303049844

Another one gone.

Bob L

2. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 4

Duck introduced me to SCCA. I grew up in Hutchinson - always liked cars. My daily driver was tastefully upgraded with aftermarket wheels, lowered a bit, etc. One day in 1985, Duck saw my parked car and placed a business card under the windshield. It said "I really like your car. Call me to learn more about sportscars". I've been involved in racing ever since.

I didn't get to know him very well, but, I frequently reflect on his action/gesture to introduce me to the sport and am VERY GRATEFUL!

RIP

4. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 1

More sad news. Duck was an instructor at a skip barber competeion school I atteneded years ago. Great instructor who had true passion for motorsport.

I saw an excellent write up on vintagemotorsport.com about his passing.

RIP

6. The following members LIKED this post:

Contributing Member Steve Demeter's Avatar
    Liked: 909

Met Duck at 79 runoffs when he had the barrel of oysters flown in and served them up all week. Very nice nd fun guy. another good one gone.

Liked: 0

RIP Duck. Duck was one of my instructors at Skip Barber years ago as well, and a friendly face for me in the paddock ever since.

Contributing Member Robert J. Alder's Avatar
    Liked: 301

Indeed, the passing of a bit of a legend. He raced forever, a lot of seat time in his beloved Bobsy SRs, owning several over the years. I got to know Duck when I purchased an SR-6 Bobsy Sports Racer back in. 2008. Researching the car's ownership found that Duck had owned the car TWICE in it's history -- he bought it when new and raced it, then sold it, then several years later bought it back and raced it some more before selling it again. He was most generous in passing along info on the car. Got to meet him at Road America when I was racing there once. In the past several years he was the RA "Instructor In Residence", giving hints on the the track to anyone asking. He was given "resident" privileges at RA putting his RV there all summer long where he hung out all summer.

Cool dude.. He had to be with a name like "Duck"!!!!
    Below is a picture of the car I now have, but taken back when Duck was racing it. Not sure of exact year.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Robert J. Alder; 03.27.19 at 11:25 PM.

10. The following 2 users liked this post:

Liked: 954

I met Duck when I was tech in Colorado Region. Simply a super guy to visit with in the paddock when he was racing a very fast DSR back in the Ocelot 2 stroke days.
    “Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty.” -Peter Egan

Liked: 482

1992 Skip Barber at IRP. I was 18. He was clever, knowledgeable, helpful, nice, and humble. He was someone I really admired as I watched him which I now realize was a great thing for an 18 year old. Sad to see the racing community lose him.

Thread Information