Contributing Member John Merriman's Avatar
    Liked: 61

Default THE history of F1 Technology

Anyone interested in the technology of Formula 1 cars from about 1970 thru 2003 would do well to get hold of a copy of the fantastic new book THE PERFECT CAR, the biography of John Barnard - Motorsport's most creative designer. In this huge, 580 page book written by Nick Skeens, you will find not simply the story of John Barnard's remarkable career, his design of the Chaparral 2K, his creation of the carbon fiber chassis of the McLaren MP4, his innovative paddle shift tranny for Ferrari and many other examples. But you will also find what is essentially a comprehensive, highly detailed history of everyone and everything in F1 over that whole period - no exaggeration!! Skeens has interviewed every person that mattered or had anything to do with running the teams, building the engines, writing contracts and a mountain of details about materials, sponsors, tires, aerodynamics...etc. You name it, the story of all things F1 is found in this book, described in detail and with narrative support provided by every name player in the game. If you were impressed, as I was, by Tony Southgate - From Drawing Board to Chequered Flag or Ludvigson's exceptional Colin Chapman - Inside the Innovator, slide them over on your book shelf and make room for this superb, beautifully written history of GP racing with a heavy emphasis on its tech history. AND speaking of a Barnard masterpiece, if you're ever in NYC and want to see a gorgeous Ferrari 641 hanging on a wall, pop into the Museum of Modern Art on West 53rd Street...well.....there it is !!
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. The following 6 users liked this post:

Amherst, New York but i left my heart in San Francisco
    Liked: 292

Default thanks for that heads up!

LOVED that COOPER book i bought from you years ago!

Liked: 757

It's already on my Christmas list!

5. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 3325

Default Another book worth reading - "How to Build a Car"

Not to hijack this thread, but...

I just read Adrian Newey's "How to Build a Car." What a fabulous book, beautifully written in glorious detail with detailed illustrations.

On top of that, there were a few passages that tickled my funny-bone to the degree that I couldn't stop laughing and was laughing so hard that I teared up and almost couldn't breathe! Thinking about them still makes me smile.
    Dave Weitzenhof

7. The following 6 users liked this post:

Liked: 757

Another hijack, but I've just finished The Beast by Jade Gurs detailing the Penske Ilmore development of the '94 Pushrod Indy motor. Another good read.

Contributing Member hdsporty1988's Avatar
    Liked: 195

Quote Originally Posted by DaveW View Post
    Not to hijack this thread, but...

I just read Adrian Newey's "How to Build a Car." What a fabulous book, beautifully written in glorious detail with detailed illustrations.

On top of that, there were a few passages that tickled my funny-bone to the degree that I couldn't stop laughing and was laughing so hard that I teared up and almost couldn't breathe! Thinking about them still makes me smile.
    Hmm... decision of the day. Buy hardback now for $28.71 or wait until next March for paperback at $19.99. Prices are from Amazon

Liked: 896

Quote Originally Posted by hdsporty1988 View Post
    Hmm... decision of the day. Buy hardback now for $28.71 or wait until next March for paperback at $19.99. Prices are from Amazon
    always hardcover. You will appreciate it later!
    Thanks ... Jay Novak
    313-445-4047
    On my 54th year as an SCCA member
    with a special thanks to every SCCA worker (NONE OF US WOULD RACE WITHOUT THE WORKERS)

Contributing Member
    Liked: 291

Adrian Newey's "How to Build a Car" is a fluff piece, from a technical point of view, when you consider the amount of design work he has been involved in.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Hardingfv32 View Post
    Adrian Newey's "How to Build a Car" is a fluff piece, from a technical point of view, when you consider the amount of design work he has been involved in.

Brian
    Of course it is, but reading it was definitely fun. He would a) lose most folks if he got too complex, and b) probably be in deep doodoo if he revealed too many "secrets."
    Dave Weitzenhof

13. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 105

Default Barnard book

Quote Originally Posted by hdsporty1988 View Post

Sounds like a great book, I want it for Christmas! Where are you seeing the $28 price? A quick check of Amazon currently lists it at $60!
    Last edited by Hartley; 12.05.18 at 10:05 AM.
    Hartley MacDonald
    2006 Van Dieman RF06

Liked: 39

Quote Originally Posted by SEComposites View Post
    Another hijack, but I've just finished The Beast by Jade Gurs detailing the Penske Ilmore development of the '94 Pushrod Indy motor. Another good read.
    Started reading this last night....so good

Quote Originally Posted by Hartley View Post
    Sounds like a great book, I want it for Christmas! Where are you seeing the $28 price? A quick check of Amazon currently lists it at $60!
    That was Newey's book that he said was $28.71...
    Dave Weitzenhof

Amherst, New York but i left my heart in San Francisco
    Liked: 292

Default acquired but as yet unread

during my last trip to Sears Point ( Wine Country Motorsports) as i left San Francisco for Buffalo.............gawd!

"Brian Redmanaring Drivers, Deadly Tracks" by BR with Jim Mullen

and "Hobbo: Motor Racer , Motor Mouth" by DH with Andrew Marriott

Thread Information