Thread: Super Vee Rules

Contributing Member Scott Hutchison's Avatar
    Liked: 0

Default Super Vee Rules

Wondering if anyone would have a copy of the 1978 Super Vee rules. This was the first year of the water cooled engines and I'm particularly interested in what Original Equipment Volkswagen parts were required on the cars and what their part numbers are.

Thanks.
    Scott Hutchison
    1978 Lola T620 SV
    Land O'Lakes

Default fsv

Scott are you doing the VW thing ?

Jimmy Griggs

Hi Jimmy,

We bought a barn fresh 1978 Lola T620 Super Vee from Art Jaworski and are in the process of restoring it. It was originally raced in the 1978 pro series by G. Scott Ovel. I've attached a couple of photos so you can see our progress.
    Scott Hutchison
    1978 Lola T620 SV
    Land O'Lakes

Liked: 33

Default super vee rules

great to see another water cooled super vee coming back to life.
    looks like your doing it right.
    can't wait to see you at the tracks!
    we are always looking for more super vees to run with in monoposto in the midwest.
    the monoposto web sight has the s/v rules based on scca rules of the time period (1978/79).
    http://www.monoposto.com/pdf%20Files...cification.pdf
    regards,
    fletch
    march 79V
    Fletch
    March 79V

Default Super V reunion in the works Fall 2010

Please check here(Apex Speed) for the offical" word" on the 40th FSV reunion of these great cars!

Mark, Scott, and Brian will break the good news ....!
    Stay tuned! thanks

Fletch,
    Thanks, we're trying to do a proper restoration without turning it into a "better than when it came from the factory" show piece. We want it to be a period correct car that is actually raced.

Mark,
    I'll watch for the 40th announcement but we are missing quite a few pieces from the rear of the vehicle, such as a header system and intake system, so I think the time and money involved in sourcing all the parts we need will stop us from being ready to race this year. Would love to go though.
    Scott Hutchison
    1978 Lola T620 SV
    Land O'Lakes

Default just an idea...

please check with apex speed member Jim Gustafson located in WI
    a fine resource person with some parts you are looking for.

don't worry about the $$$$$$$$$$$$ issue the car and you attending the" fes"
    is what is important. You can always make more money--- it's the clock that's the problem!

best regards
    mark

252 328-1295 if I can help out in the near future!

OK Mark, no longer worrying about the $$$$$$$$$$!

I've seen Jim's ad for his March SV. What a fantastic car. Somebody in the area should snap it up. I'll contact him about parts.

Thanks again.
    Scott Hutchison
    1978 Lola T620 SV
    Land O'Lakes

Default I'm jealous !

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Hutchison View Post
    Hi Jimmy,

We bought a barn fresh 1978 Lola T620 Super Vee from Art Jaworski and are in the process of restoring it. It was originally raced in the 1978 pro series by G. Scott Ovel. I've attached a couple of photos so you can see our progress.
    Good for you Scott ! Wow what a great find.I'd love to see your car,let me know when going to do the motor build.

Jimmy

Default Intake System

What are you looking for in the way of an intake system for your project?

Hi Bart,

We would like to run it with the intake system it came with in 1978. We think it had the dual webber set up but have not been able to confirm that yet.

We are also missing a variety of other parts such as the header system, rear axles and coolant header tank so if you know of anyone who might be a source for 620 parts please let me know.

Thanks for the help.
    Scott Hutchison
    1978 Lola T620 SV
    Land O'Lakes

Liked: 1403

Scott:

Given that I was building cars at that time I may have a copy of the regs for both SCCA and USAC.

I will take a look and see what I can find. I did find the drawing package that VW sent out for converting to water cooled engines. I needed it to do some work for the Honda Fit conversion.

I made the first test for the water cooled engines at Phoenix.

Default Intake System

I don't know what the correct set up was back in 1978. But if you can confirm that then I can help you out. I have an intake manifold with dual Webers available at a fair price.

Default Intake Systems

Scott;

The intake systems were mechanical fuel injection. Either Lucas or Bosch. Bertils used Bosch and Judd used Lucas.

Contributing Member Rick Kirchner's Avatar
    Liked: 1494

Scott - a couple of years back I loaned Jens Scott at Summit Point my copy of Andrew Shupak's supervee history book. It has the rules you are looking for and pics of various engines, both installed and in the shop. Call up Jens and ask him to send it to you, and when you are done, send it back to me!

It's a green paperback, standard paperback size in case he doesn't remember it.

Steve, I think I have the SCCA regs now but, if you don't mind, I'd be glad to get a copy of your SCCA & USAC regs. I just spoke to Art Jaworski this morning who saw the car at the track back in the early 80s and he thinks it had a dual Webber set up. He can't remember what engine builder it was. Do you think this is possible? I'm going to try and contact G. Scott Ovel again(he drove it in the 1978 pro series) but I have not had a lot of luck getting info from him. I would also be interested in getting a copy of the VW water cooled conversion drawings.

Bart, If it turns out I need the Webber set up I'll be in touch.

Rick, I would like to see that book. I'll try to contact Jens Scott.

Thanks everyone.
    Scott Hutchison
    1978 Lola T620 SV
    Land O'Lakes

Scott;

Another good source of informantion would be Ove Olsen, Olsen Engineering. He is probably the guy who put your car together after it arrived from England.

Liked: 160

Hi Scott,

It is my understanding that pro racing allowed mechanical injection or carbs and that club racing was restricted to carbs only. I believe that in 1978 the injection size was unrestricted but in 1979 the choke sizes were regulated to 32mm for injection and 36mm for carbs. This is how the Monoposto rules are set up today.

If you don't mind a little more complication and possibly higher first cost for the benefit of about 5-10 hp go with injection. If want simplicity and maybe a lower first cost stick with carbs.

If you decide on injection, you have a choice Bosch or Lucas mechanical injection. I am running a Lucas set-up similar to the Brabham system with the 32mm chokes. This makes good power and once you get it set-up its very user friendly. I have little knowledge about the Bosch system but Bertil used them in period over the lucas system.

If you go with carbs you have a few choices also. You can use Weber or SK carbs and there are a couple of different intake manifolds. The standard manifold sets the carbs about an inch apart and creates a poor intake track for the outside cylinders. If you can find a "siamese" intake manifold, the carbs are set closer together and you get better flow into the outside cylinders. Domenic Billera used a Siamese manifold and SK carbs and reported a 5-6 hp gain with this set-up.

Best of luck, Joe

Default 1978 T620 Pics.

Wondering if anyone would have a copy of the 1978 Super Vee rules. This was the first year of the water cooled engines and I'm particularly interested in what Original Equipment Volkswagen parts were required on the cars and what their part numbers are.

Thanks.
    I am still trying to find the 1978 Scrapbook.

Thanks.
    I loved the Lola T620, but the T324 won me the SCCA National title.

Hi Jimmy,

We never raised the roll bar..And as you know Ove and Bertil can give you all the specs.

Hi Scott,

What a nice find! Anyway I have the Andrew Schupack book and the USAC rules say:

1. Not more than 2-barrel or four single-barrel carburetors may be used.
    2. Fuel injection will be permitted. Air induction boxes subject to construction approval by the USAC technical committee will be permitted, but no supercharging will be allowed.

Robert Bosch Gold Cup specs only talk about air cooled engines. Let me know if you have specific questions I can look up for you.

Mike.
    Austin.

Liked: 9

Scott Ovel

My name is Bob Olberg. I have been working with Scott Hutchison on the Lola Super Vee restoration. You may or may not know that Scott Hutchison, for the past 14 months, has been recovering from GBS (a disease that has left him temporily paralysed) Needless to say, the project has been on hold during that time, however Scott is excited to start up again as he recovers. We have purchased new body work from T W Mouldings ( see attached photo) , and Scott is very interested in restoring the car back to the livery when you drove it in the Pro series in 78 and 79. If you are able to find any pictures of the car from back then, we would really appreciate it.

Default 1978 FSV

No, I didn't know that,,God BLess Scott..After a few marriages and 5 or 6 moves I will find that scrapBook..

Liked: 9

Thanks for your help with this Scott. I appreciate the difficulty in finding the scrapbook after all those moves. Below is a link to Scott Hutchison's caringbridge site. He was able to visit the race shop last week for the first time since July 2010.

http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/scotthutchison

Liked: 6

Default Scott Hutchison.....

I've also copied and pasted Sandy's post on Scott's visit to the shop here.
    Ron

Liked: 39

Default Lola SV

To all the folks who responded to this thread,

I would like to ask any of you who were offering help on this thread for some help. There were request for and responses providing info relating to rules, regulations, & set-up specs etc. I too have a Lola T620 SV and would like to request from anyone who was able to supply the following;

1978 Super Vee rules
    1978 Scrapbook
    Andrew Shupak's supervee history book.
    SCCA & USAC regs

If any of you were able to supply any these items, or where I could obtain them, I would like to get whatever you were able to provide or copies of same. I would be happy to cover any personal cost to provide this information to individuals that can help.

Additionally I am sorry to hear that Scott Hutchison passed away. Like many of the people/racers I have communicated with on this site I'm sure he was a great guy. Rest in Peace Scott.

Thanks in advance for any help that is given,

Tom Frost

P.S. Thanks to "fletch", I found the monoposto pdf. in another thread!

Thread Information