Contributing Member Robert J. Alder's Avatar
    Liked: 301

Default "Mark Forums Read" really, really slow

Seems like just recently (last couple of weeks?) it takes a very long time for "Mark Forums Read" to execute. I don't seem to have any other speed issues when browsing around on ApexSpeed, or any other web browsing issues. And my computer/internet hasn't slowed down otherwise that I can detect.

I do recall seeing something about a week or two ago saying that some application (or add-on?) can compromises ApexSpeed when using Firefox. I am using a PC, Win10, with Firefox 55.0.3. But I can't find that "tip" or warning anywhere now. Could that (whatever it was) the issue?

It's a minor inconvenience, but ..... would like to know if there is a cause/solution.

Keep up the good work on ApexSpeed.

Cheers and thanks.
    Bob Alder

Liked: 1417

No speed issues for me on any browser on the Mac (Safari, Firefox, Chrome).

Anyone else experiencing issues with the clearing of unread threads?

Robert, at the speed at which Firefox updates their browser, you might try deactivating all of your add-ons and plugins, then attempt to clear the new posts. You will at least narrow down the issues to second-party plugins or not.

Thanks. I figured it was probably a "personal problem" but wanted to check first. I'll do as you recommend and also check it out with MS Internet Explorer. If I find something, I'll let you know.

Looks like it might have been the AdBlockPlus Add-In (for Firefox). Simply "disabling" didn't work, but "removing" the Add-on did. I'll keep experimenting, but so far, this seems to be the culprit. And that Add-On was install in recently. Duh! The dreaded aw of unintended consequence, aka as Alder's Law, "There are no easy upgrades.".

Thread Information