Liked: 26

Default Swift DB-4 initial setup sheet

I have tried searching but can only find references to a "Swift DB-4 initial setup sheet" but no sheet as such.

I am looking for any info about push rod lengths, rake angle and where to measure from etc for a Swift DB4, any info would be helpful.

Back story,

I know nothing about single seaters and had never driven one until last weekend. I bought the car with no setup information and in a state of "it rolls on 4 wheels".

Given I know nothing..... I setup the car around the middle of the adjustable settings to get a baseline for my first weekend. I now know after talking to some people at the track I have to much rake so I plan to drop the rear via the pushrods for this next weekend.

Tyre wear was perfect but I wasn't pushing hard enough to get a true idea as I was a few seconds off what could be considered a good pace for a sorted DB4 and driver who knows what they are doing. Tyre pressures were 12psi cold rising to 15psi hot on all 4 corners.

Pictures just because
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. The following members LIKED this post:

A member sent me the sheets. I set the car up close to it (ended up dropping the rear an inch, 2 less clicks front a rear for rebound, 1 less click for front compression, changed front roll bar from 100% to 75%).

WOW, I have taken seconds off my time comparatively with the other cars, qualified second on a capacity Formula Libre grid (10 atlantics plus handfulls of F5000's, Formula Holdens etc etc) and was only pipped by 0.08 for 1st.

First race is tomorrow and i'll try get some video as there are 3 Swift DB4's and a Reynard 92H all doing similar pace at the front.

4. The following 2 users liked this post:

Liked: 24

Post pictures of ALL the Atlantic's....well at least the DB4's

Liked: 804

Makes me smile that your first open wheel car is a DB-4 !
    Jumping in feet-first! :-)

Whole lot of pictures at https://www.facebook.com/FormulaPaci...96148310731296 (for non facebook folk you should still be able to see the pictures by clicking on the link), my car is #31.

In terms of setup I am now 1.3 seconds off the pace but I am pretty sure its because there is far to much preload in the front so I plan to resolve that before racing today.

My video camera keeps failing so I have borrowed a friends so should have some video tonight.

Video - https://youtu.be/olqrmk8kxA0

51 laps (last two weekends) seat time in a single seater as a driver/mechanic. There is still lots to learn but I managed to score a best time in the first sector (start line to exit of turn 1) and give the front runners a shake up. In saying that I am still ~3 seconds off the pace of what Matteo Ferrer did in a Reynard 92H, are they much faster than a Swift DB4 being carbon tub?

Now to pull the gearbox apart as I blew up second gear and put a small repairable hole in the casing. I'll put up a Wanted thread once I dissemble, I already have the spare gears but am also needing to replace the staffs crown wheel and shaft as that's missing a tooth. Also need to do a myriad of other replacements as I have two knocking wheel bearings, a flogged bearing in the left rear arm (couple of mm play), new brake lines etc etc.

Atlantic's are a hell of a lot of fun.

Liked: 25

Default set up sheet

here are the factory set up notes for the DB4
    Attached Files Attached Files

Classifieds Super License Charles Warner's Avatar
    Liked: 416

Removing driver ability the Reynard 92H should be quicker than the DB4, although much more difficult to set up properly. Depending on the tires, you should get at least 19psi hot.
    Charlie Warner
    fatto gatto racing

'Cause there's bugger-all down here on earth!

Liked: 39

Default DB-4 Atlantic - Jumping in Feet 1st

Quote Originally Posted by Lotus7 View Post
    Makes me smile that your first open wheel car is a DB-4 !
    Jumping in feet-first! :-)

I only know a few Kiwi's, jumping in feet first seems to be the typical approach for those crazy guys. You've got to love there approach. Just wish they would quit buying all our cars and taking them over there. Caveat; I sold a Tiga S2000 to a kiwi Steve, nephew of Howden Ganley, who came by my house to inspect the car before finalizing the deal prior to shipping. Both great guys.

Tom

Thread Information