Liked: 126

Default USF2000 DP08 / MZR Questions

My new (to me) DP08 MZR USF2000 car arrived home. A couple questions:

1) The car has PI data. Any insights as to how to obtain data / connect to a computer?

2) How about connection to the ECU? How about ECU programming?

3) There's a T-handle on the dash that says "reverse". Is this a reverse lockout?

4) Common starting points for wheel camber / caster / toe for the F2KCS Hoosiers is highly appreciated!

TIA, Rob

Liked: 282

1) Pi Toolbox and a download cable

2) Talk to Elite Engines

3) Yes, Pull the T-handle and push the shift lever forward to get into Neutral and forward again for Reverse

4) Not sure, can speculate but will leave it to someone else.

Thanks Fred.

Contributing Member
    Liked: 863

#4: start with about 4 deg front and 2.5 deg rear camber, 4.5 deg castor, and total toe out 3/16" front, 1/8" toe in rear and see how it feels. BTW- measure how the car was set up when you got it- the Cooper and Hoosier radials are not all that different.

#1...throw it out and install AIM or Motec? By the time you buy Toolbox with a dongle and an old XP computer.....

#2...yes, you'll need the XP computer for this one too. ECU is a Pectel T2 with an Elite map. Deskpro doesn't work with modern computers. You probably have the normal map installed without a restrictor. F2KCS will be using the USF oval map and restrictor- Steve can flash the ECU and you should have the restrictor in the spares; if not ask Steve.

#3...yes
    ----------
    In memory of Joe Stimola and Glenn Phillips

Great Bob, thank you much!

Liked: 229

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Wright View Post

#1...throw it out and install AIM or Motec? By the time you buy Toolbox with a dongle and an old XP computer.....
    Asked Cosworth at PRI about cost of new version of toolbox.
    response was something like 3500lbs a year if you did not have a contact for hardware.

If you stay the Pi route talk to me might have some resolution.

But unless the legacy data means something to you upgrade to other hardware.

My preference for data is really having a dash that I can see, read, and interpret while driving! Like Dave W's post on crappy astigmatism eyesight, I have the same issue. The AIM system I had on a previous car was almost worthless while driving... couldn't read it... and I seldom actually analyzed the data after a run. And I analyze data for a living! Analog gauges on other previous cars I had were great. I'd rather a car talk to me, then I figure out what's needed, rather than have it talk to a computer. So a readable dash is more important than data... I'll have to "see" how much I like the small PI dash before deciding. And I don't care about what's currently in the data because I intend to change the current setup anyway. I had an RF99, and this new car is set up much stiffer than how I liked my old RF99.

Liked: 286

If you're interested -- I use this engine in my Van Diemen P2 car -- I can supply much better throttles, a custom Motec M1 ECU package, with a good exhaust, we can get about 200 hp to the rear wheels (on unleaded premium fuel). My setup supports the variable cam timing, and factory knock sensors.

Not sure where you want to run this, but with a full body, it would be legal and competitive in the Prototype 2 class.
    David Ferguson
    Veracity Racing Data
    Shift RPM App for iOS
    805-238-1699

Thanks David. Although your route with this car is enticing, I intend to run it with FRP.

10. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 10

Default sweet ride

I wanted a dp08 real bad,but I got talked out of it,where do you plan on racing?What class?post a picture.

I bought the DP08 advertised by Jay Messenger... and intend to run here:

http://www.f2000championshipseries.com/

I've known Bob and Al Senior for a long time and should have stuck with their series years ago instead of venturing out in FB.

Liked: 10

Default congradulations

I spoke to jay about this car,i was very close to buying it,Jay was a gentleman, I felt comfortable buying a car from him.was told I had to run against atlantics in scca events and kind of didn't like that.Must look real nice in your shop.See you at the races.

Thanks Kenny. Hope you can make some of the events.
    Last edited by RobLav; 01.16.17 at 7:50 PM.

Liked: 33

Hi Rob glad you have a car underneath you

Classifieds Super License marshall9's Avatar
    Liked: 502

Quote Originally Posted by RobLav View Post
    My new (to me) DP08 MZR USF2000 car arrived home. A couple questions:

1) The car has PI data. Any insights as to how to obtain data / connect to a computer?

2) How about connection to the ECU? How about ECU programming?

3) There's a T-handle on the dash that says "reverse". Is this a reverse lockout?

4) Common starting points for wheel camber / caster / toe for the F2KCS Hoosiers is highly appreciated!

TIA, Rob
    Cool ! Enjoy the new ride. I'm jealous

Me too Rick! Good luck with yours.

Liked: 99

Where in VA are you?
    -Nick

North Suffolk near the Rt 17 James River Bridge.

Liked: 99

North Suffolk near the Rt 17 James River Bridge.
    VA Beach area, got it. Was wondering if you were up this way but didn't think so.
    -Nick

Another question... what is everyone doing with the cavernous volume behind the driver's butt in the newer Van Diemen / Elan and RFR cars? VD Used to have angled fuel cells in there.

Fill it with foam?
    Attach aluminum sheet at the tubes that angle rear and upwards?

Am trying to figure out a poured seat. Doesn't make sense to me fill all that with seat foam.

Contributing Member
    Liked: 863

Bead seat or Speed Seat. I'll let you know in a week when we pour one in one of our cars
    ----------
    In memory of Joe Stimola and Glenn Phillips

Thanks Bob. I'll wait for your experience.

With "free" money, I'd build a triangular container, weld sheet steel to those rear / upward sloping tubes, and bond and rivet an aluminum plate there. Then measure and have a fuel cell made to fit. (Similar to how Steve L does it.) Unfortunately, the money isn't "free"!

Liked: 41

Default huh?

Then measure and have a fuel cell made to fit.
    You want to run a second fuel cell?

No... remove the original cell that has a high COG.

Liked: 41

Default Total opposite here.

That's weird, because I would love the wedge fuel cell in my RF98K back behind the firewall like the newer cars.

Running the filler neck and fuel lines from inside the driver's compartment to the outside safely and within the rule book is a total headache. Everything has to be steel braided and the filler neck has to be directly attached. None of the stock parts fit, everything has to be custom made. Ugh.

Liked: 20

Just got done pouring a Speed Seat , no problem at all. We did it in 3 small pours instead of the 1 pour . Didn't use any extra padding just poured the seat. Just like any other job performed initial prep is key.

Roger Lenny... I'll do the same. I've done 3 foam seats and one bead seat over the years. I guess we simply fill that cavern with the Speed seat foam.

Classifieds Super License Raceworks's Avatar
    Liked: 215

My preference for data is really having a dash that I can see, read, and interpret while driving! Like Dave W's post on crappy astigmatism eyesight, I have the same issue. The AIM system I had on a previous car was almost worthless while driving... couldn't read it... and I seldom actually analyzed the data after a run. And I analyze data for a living! Analog gauges on other previous cars I had were great. I'd rather a car talk to me, then I figure out what's needed, rather than have it talk to a computer. So a readable dash is more important than data... I'll have to "see" how much I like the small PI dash before deciding. And I don't care about what's currently in the data because I intend to change the current setup anyway. I had an RF99, and this new car is set up much stiffer than how I liked my old RF99.
    Which AIM system did you have? I've been using the Evo 4 with the G-dash since 2014 and it's very readable, especially mounted to the steering wheel.

Here's a video of it in action: https://youtu.be/fU6poluFcu4

That's the main screen setup with tach & lap times. I can also scroll around and look at a variety of engine parameters, 4 to a screen in big type (roughly 3/4 the size of the lap times).
    Sam Lockwood
    Raceworks, Inc
    www.lockraceworks.com

Thread Information