Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Contributing Member Curtis Boggs's Avatar
    Liked: 0

Bob,

I don't think it's as clear cut as you may assume.

But, .. all we have is hear-say, .. .. so none of us really knows what happened.

But if Sadev will sell to anyone, .. then perhaps that's the answer to the FSCCA car's problems, ..

Curtis
    Racing Flow Development
    Simultaneous 5-axis CNC Porting
    http://www.raceflowdevelopment.com

Sounds like a good answer to me if they can't get this box reliable.

Contributing Member D.T. Benner's Avatar
    Liked: 2

Now who do you think would pay for that $4000 fix?

Our team owns two FSCCA cars and I would venture to say we have, in the past six months, logged more miles testing and racing the FSCCA car than anyone in the country. There are definately issues with this box and the solution is not shifting with the clutch. With regard to the Sadev box in the Fran-Am car, it is, from what we have been told, a very good box. Apparently, or at least I have been told this by people who should know, the Sadev box used in the Fran-Am car was designed specifically for Formula Renault and Renault reserved some rights as to the usage. They would not allow it to be sold for use in the FSCCA car. Whether that is true or not, I can't say for sure, but it certainly could be. In any event, the Elite was designed and built, and there are some serious problems. In all of the conversations I have had with Jim Dickson and Ken Brown of SCCA Enterprises, and with Ralph Firman of Van Diemen in the UK, I can say with certainty that they are working hard to resolve these problems, and I personally believe they will do so. Most of the problems seem to be in the hardening process of the components, with a few small design issues as well. It is indeed very frustrating, but it will be fixed, and once fixed, this will be a really nice racecar. We will be receiving via airfreight this week and then assembling two more cars (#72 and #79) for customers who will be running with our team this year, and we are excited about the upcoming year. Despite the problems and expense we have endured thus far, we still have confidence that our purchases were wise. I would encourage any of you who own or have ordered one of these cars to call Ken Brown at SCCA Enterprises or Ralph Firman at Van Diemen. They will give you the honest story of where things are today.

Dan,

Thank you for giving a true picture of the situation, ..
    and thank you for the laps in your car.

There is no doubt these cars are very cool, .. nice to drive, ..
    handle well, .. and will be a BLAST to drive.

I'm sure the gear box issues will be worked out.

Curtis
    Racing Flow Development

Sadev box through the US distributer is $8,000, ..

I don't think we'll see that in any SCCA car.

C
    Racing Flow Development

Jim,

Could you please enlighten us, (FSCCA car owners), of the transmission "remedy" status? Although my test time has been limitted to two short sessions due to trans failures, I do like the car & only wish it's success. However, I am growing quite frustrated as I've had the car for aprx. 6 mos. and still do not have a properly functioning race car, (transmission that is). I am shocked at Enterprise's lack of communications to it's customers. You weren't shy about taking our money, (in advance no less!!). Once you got our money, you've left us "hanging", "high & dry" without the complete car you promised. I have an incomplete car; Period. The transmission does not function properly. I have spoke with representitives of both Van Diemen & Elite. Both agree the trans has problems. I have car # 48. When can I expect to receive the "corrected" trans parts, & just what exactly are your "remedies"?

To reiterate: Personally, I think if you posted a complete and honest status on this issue on the "SpecFormula" site, it would greatly ease a lot of your customers' anxiety.

Sincerely, Tom Beck TNTBeck1@msn.com

We'll see what kind of response comes, (if any).

Curtis,

Glad you checked out the price of the Sadev gearbox. I had never heard there was ever an exclusivity issue. The money everyone will have tied up into the Elite, factoring the original purchase and the updates will not be far off the net price for a Sadev, notwithstanding the value placed upon the cost of frustration and maintenance for the end recipient.

John Grubb, owner of J & J flew to Europe to personally inspect the Sadev factory in 2002 and relayed to me then, how incredibly impressed he was by their facility and quality of control. The Formula Renault 2000 cars just completed (3) complete days at Sebring International Raceway with 25-cars running a total of (9) 30-minute sessions, inclusive of qualifications and races together with practices and not a single car was towed into the pits with a mechanical failure, excepting contact damages. For certain, no one experienced any gearbox malfunctions the entire time. Do the math and calculate the mileage, be mindful, that all the cars were also used cars with many miles already upon their Sadev gearboxes.

For reference...

The Formula Renault engine and gearbox are very reliable - yet are also 4 years old and have plenty of test miles.

The SCCA car's gearbox is under a year old... and probably should have been tested more prior to release - but those that have been spending their money testing and runnign the cars are already beginning to find ways of lengthening the longevity of the box... other than the gearbox - the car is otherwise bulletproof and fun and easy to drive. That will eventually be what makes this car extremely popular.

MM
    "Luck is when Opportunity meets Preparation"
    RaceDriver/Driver Coach
    Motorsport Enterprises Racing - www.GoTeamMER.com
    Marc's Fan site: http://www.themarcmillershow.com <-- Click it!

Greg Mercurio

Perhaps a bit of outside the box thinking is in order. You guys fronted the cash to make these cars, and now you are paying to do the development work for both Enterprises and Elite. Seems like the contract is a little lopsided. Have any of you asked to be reimbursed by either party for your efforts on their behalf?

Just a thought. Also, still would like to know whether your plywood floor is bonded to the frame.

Regards,

No the floor is not bonded to the frame.It attaches with counter sunk bolts.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information