Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Liked: 310

Quote Originally Posted by TDI PILOT View Post
    I also use the "Faster than a Corvette or a Viper around any track" line, but I usually get some blank stares when I say that is has a whopping 108 neck snapping Horsepower.

I can see where they could get confused, a mid-level minivan has 325HP these days.
    My son got the same kind of incredulity about F500's from his father-in-law - until they did at test day at Heartland Park - my son blew by a T1 'vette consistently on the back straight, as well as the front straight. Afterward he felt the F500 might have some potential as a race car.

Liked: 65

Don't be too hard on non-racers for distinctions between your car and an Indy car, or whatever. They just don't spend time thinking about it because they don't care.

I ride an alpine snowboard, like used in GS racing in the Olympics: it gets called a monoski, monoboard, skiboard, etc. The only people that annoy me are those that argue that they know what it's called, because they saw one once before. The others just don't know.

Contributing Member
    Liked: 24

the one that flusters me is, as they're looking over my formula ford, "so what's that made out of?"...huh?.. "you know, what was it originally". the best answer I've thought of is "a life-long dream"

4. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 208

Since this thread was posted a non-racer saw my car and asked..."Where do you race these things?"

I always get this as the first question.
    Ralph Z
    1968 Alexis Mk14 Formula Ford

Liked: 757

Quote Originally Posted by captain_pants View Post
    I ride an alpine snowboard, like used in GS racing in the Olympics: it gets called a monoski, monoboard, skiboard, etc. The only people that annoy me are those that argue that they know what it's called, because they saw one once before. The others just don't know.
    How fast can you go on that thing?

7. The following 2 users liked this post:

Liked: 20

"Did you build that?"

This one always trips me up because I have to decide on how far I go into the definition of "build". I usually just end up saying there are several manufacturers of open wheel race cars, but that I have had it in a thousand pieces and put it back together a few times.

Like others, though, I've pretty much given up on mentioning it in general conversation.

Liked: 68

I typically get all the same questions listed by the original poster. To the question "how fast does it go", I answer that it will go faster around the track than anything you could legally drive on the road, including Ferraris or Lamborghinis. As to "how much does one of these cost?" I reply that this is the wrong question. What you should be asking is what does it cost to race this car for a year? The cost of the car is just one component of an annual budget. Another question that I hear a lot that really cracks me up is "what if you have to go to the bathroom while you are racing?". I tell them I go beforehand. I do not make a habit of telling people that I race cars, but my girlfriend does. When she tells new acquaintances that I race, they always ask "what kind of cars do you race?". When I tell them open wheel cars, I often get the blank stare. You know, Formula cars I tell them. "Oh, you mean Formula One?" they say. I tell them that although the cars I drive are similar in design to Formula One cars, the drivers at that level have so much money that if I were at that level there is no way I would even be talking to them. I have also frequently been asked "do you really fit in there?". I always tell them no.

Liked: 91

Quote Originally Posted by El Guapo View Post
    I have also frequently been asked "do you really fit in there?". I always tell them no.
    No, I sit on top.

11. The following 2 users liked this post:

Contributing Member captaineddie1975's Avatar
    Liked: 19

At least you drivers haven't had what happened to me at a Christmas party some time ago. We were sitting at a table with a bunch of folks and my wife mentioned that I raced cars. One pretty girl looked at me and said "funny you don't look like a race car driver".
    As I was in a suit and tie I guess I didn't. My wife and I laughed about this all the way home. Now I wonder what was I supposed to look like?

Liked: 65

Quote Originally Posted by SEComposites View Post
    How fast can you go on that thing?
    Haha! Well played sir, well played.

Liked: 290

Quote Originally Posted by captaineddie1975 View Post
    At least you drivers haven't had what happened to me at a Christmas party some time ago. We were sitting at a table with a bunch of folks and my wife mentioned that I raced cars. One pretty girl looked at me and said "funny you don't look like a race car driver".
    As I was in a suit and tie I guess I didn't. My wife and I laughed about this all the way home. Now I wonder what was I supposed to look like?
    Eurotrash, of course... I give you, The Scrumptious One (h/t David Hobbs):
    Vaughan Scott
    #77 ITB/HP Porsche 924
    #25 Hidari Firefly P2
    http://www.vaughanscott.com

Liked: 113

Living in CT, as soon as someone finds out that I am a race driver, the first question I get is "oh, do you know so and so, they race at (insert one of the 3 ovals in the state)". I am obliged to respond, "no, I race on road racing circuits like Lime Rock". To which, they either walk away, or say they have never heard of it...
    Chris Robson
    Accelerated Performance Coaching
    http://APCDriving.com

16. The following members LIKED this post:

Contributing Member northarrowracing's Avatar
    Liked: 36

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Robson View Post
    Living in CT, as soon as someone finds out that I am a race driver, the first question I get is "oh, do you know so and so, they race at (insert one of the 3 ovals in the state)". I am obliged to respond, "no, I race on road racing circuits like Lime Rock". To which, they either walk away, or say they have never heard of it...
    That's funny, as I live 35 miles from VIR and when people ask me the same thing and I say VIR most say "never heard of it". Even less luck if I mention Roebling, Summit Point or Road Atlanta. I really think a nice lie is better for everyone. I always say Watkins Glen, which I have never had the chance to race at, but everyone seems to have heard of even if they don't know exactly where it is.

Contributing Member captaineddie1975's Avatar
    Liked: 19

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Robson View Post
    I am also in CT. I start with Thompson then Watkins Glen, Loudon (NHMS),and Pocono finally Lime Rock. I can also show them a small photo of my open wheel car that I carry in my wallet. They know most of the tracks and when they see the photo they think Indy car or some think midget. By doing this it keeps them from walking away sooner.

Liked: 14

My favorite: Do you have insurance for your car race? My answer: Yes, you are talking to him!

20. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 208

I'm lucky to be able to say that I raced at IMS when folks ask where we race. Everyone has heard of that track. That usually gets quite a look as they may think we race in the 500. I just let it go.
    Ralph Z
    1968 Alexis Mk14 Formula Ford

Liked: 11

I have pictures of the Vee and FE I used to race on the wall in my exam rooms. The typical questions I get and responses are:

Is that your son in there?- Nope thats me. I have a need for speed.

How fast does it go?- Well, it'll do about 145 but that's at the end of the straight and then I'm braking as hard as I can to whoa it down for the next turn.

(They look at the Vee) So, is that a soapbox derby car? Is there an engine in that thing?

Isn't that dangerous?- Not really. It's probably more dangerous driving TO the track. On track everyone's going the same direction, no ones texting or talking on the phone.

One time I walked in the room for a new patient. Probably 70 year old woman. Asks me- whos that in the formula Vee? I replied- and how do you know thats actually a formula Vee? She tells me her husband used to race Atlantics. My staff had to come in to move me along because we were talking about racing the whole time!

I take old copies of Sportscar mag to give to patients if they're really interested.

Jim

23. The following 6 users liked this post:

Liked: 42

And it's not just innocent random people. My brother-in-law has known for 10 years that we race, and I always thought he had a passing interest. He is a NASCAR TV watching fan.

A few years ago we went to Watkins Glen and when I mentioned that to him,
    it was "Watkins Glen? like THE Watkins Glen where NASCAR races? Really ? "

Apparently Road America Road Atlanta Mid-Ohio, COTA and everywhere else we've ever been are not real race tracks, because NASCAR doesn't go there......

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk
    FFCoalition.com
    Marc Blanc

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information