Classifieds Super License andyllc's Avatar
    Liked: 201

Default HANS Re-certification

I am unclear if HANS devices need to be recertified every five years or not?
    Here is what I found in the GCR (page 91)

"The use
    of a head and neck restraint system that has been certified in
    accordance with SFI 38.1, FIA 8858-2002 or 8858-2010 is
    required; an SFI 38.1 or FIA 8858-2002 or 8858-2010 label
    must be properly affixed to the device."

As long as it has an SFI sticker are we good regardless of the date? That doesn't seem quite right but I can't find anything that says otherwise.

Liked: 77

Yes, that is correct. Re-certification is not required. The GCR wording is purposeful.

Dave

Classifieds Super License andyllc's Avatar
    Liked: 201

Thank you

Liked: 605

If your HANS ever does actually save your neck.......that's when to get it recertified.

5. The following 2 users liked this post:

Classifieds Super License Raceworks's Avatar
    Liked: 215

Not mandatory but it's a good idea to replace the tethers every 5 years, that's about the only part that really wears out on them.

When they finally came up with an SFI spec for head & neck restraints a lot of the older HANS devices had to get "recertified." Basically they inspected it, put the SFI label on it, and in my case at least put new tethers on it.

People bitched up a storm at the time but it could have been worse: they could have said your non-SFI-labeled HANS devices were invalid & made you buy new ones.
    Sam Lockwood
    Raceworks, Inc
    www.lockraceworks.com

Liked: 41

As long as you have the FIA sticker on the HANS, the FIA sticker trumps the SFI sticker (whether it has "expired" or not).
    Craig Farr
    2006 Stohr WF1 P2
    FARROUT Racing

Contributing Member Rick Kirchner's Avatar
    Liked: 1493

mine must be an early one. No stickers, just a number molded into the carbon. So far no SCCA hassles.

Liked: 39

Default Which organization?

I think the above info is mostly accurate for SCCA, but check if you run with other organizations. SVRA requires recert every five years, which almost certainly includes tether replacement along with a new SFI sticker. FIA sticker irrelevant with them.

Liked: 279

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Kirchner View Post
    mine must be an early one. No stickers, just a number molded into the carbon. So far no SCCA hassles.
    That was the case with mine too; it predated any FIA or SFI specs... sent it in for the re-cert (first time 'round), no big deal, got my SFI sticker... but no FIA sticker.

They're looking forward to seeing it again and getting their $60 or whatever every 5 years...
    Vaughan Scott
    #77 ITB/HP Porsche 924
    #25 Hidari Firefly P2
    http://www.vaughanscott.com

Thread Information