Liked: 141

Default Why Are Eyeports Getting Bigger?

Just got my SA2015 helmet few days ago. While fiddling around with it I noticed the eyeport is bigger - so I checked my old helmets -

Eyeport height -
    - SA85 - - - 2.5"
    - SA95 - - - 2.7"
    - SA2005 - - 3.1"
    - SA2015 - - 3.6"

Eyeport width -
    - SA85 - - - 12.2"
    - SA95 - - - 12.3"
    - SA2005 - - 12.4"
    - SA2015 - - 13.4"

What's going on - that's an increase of over 50% in area. Got to be less safe.

Now my numbers are not exactly scientific since I don't even know what make the earlier makes/models were but I did notice many manufacturers this year are advertising bigger eyeports. Looks like I may have to get some 3" wide tape to make my sunshield this year!

Liked: 353

Why not contact your helmet's manufacturer and ask them?
    Peter Olivola
    (polivola@gmail.com)

Contributing Member
    Liked: 473

There's obviously got to be a balance between the safety of making the eye port smaller (which maxes out at no eye port at all), and the safety of better ability see.

Looks like they've just decided that the balance is a little more toward seeing out better.

Liked: 175

It depends on the model. One of the reasons I got the Bell RS7 Carbon is that it has a smaller eyeport. My SA2015 has an opening approximately 12" wide by 2.75" high, and the Zylon visor panel they added at the top of the shield brings the height of the opening down even more to approximately 2.25".
    Last edited by David Locke; 05.19.16 at 7:32 AM.

Fallen Friend
    Liked: 168

It's easy...... mean age for racers => older; need the room for glasses!

Besides makes it easier to see in..... those close-up shots, of steely eyes..... racing becomes "commercial".... comical?

Okie

6. The following 2 users liked this post:

Liked: 67

Where can you buy the Zylon protective strips for the top of these larger shields?
    -Peter Krause
    1984 Tiga SC
    www.peterkrause.net
    "The Driver is the Greatest Performance Variable in the Racing Equation"

Quote Originally Posted by Tigaman View Post
    Where can you buy the Zylon protective strips for the top of these larger shields?
    I have no information about other manufacturers, but it is my understanding that Bell manufactures the Zylon panel only for the shape and contour of the SE07 shield, which fits only the narrow eyeport HP7 and RS7 models.

Liked: 67

Thanks, David. I thought they'd be helmet model specific.
    -Peter Krause
    1984 Tiga SC
    www.peterkrause.net
    "The Driver is the Greatest Performance Variable in the Racing Equation"

Liked: 281

I suspect that the taller eyeports may be coming about because they're a lot more useful in cars with roofs, where you want to be able to look up and see the rearview mirror.

I did have one embarassing incident where I had a helmet from a formula car racer, wore it in my ITB car without realizing that the eye port and sun visor strip pretty effectively blocked my casual view of the rearview... until I nearly cut someone off on-track thanks to not noticing them...

All the more reason to gravitate towards the open-cockpit-specific helmets... if you need to see that high above you in a formula car, something's gone very wrong or is about to, I think!
    Vaughan Scott
    #77 ITB/HP Porsche 924
    #25 Hidari Firefly P2
    http://www.vaughanscott.com

Quote Originally Posted by 924RACR View Post
    All the more reason to gravitate towards the open-cockpit-specific helmets.
    Exactly. Narrow eyeport helmets are readily available and definitely should be considered if you race an open-cockpit car. There is nothing wrong with using a standard full-face helmet, but you'll have a bit more protection with a narrow eyeport model if an object strikes the front.

Contributing Member Steve Demeter's Avatar
    Liked: 923

Also in general shields are getting better.

Who remembers the old Acetate shields?

Now they are at least 1/8" thick Lexan and I have had things hit the shield hard enough to snap my head back but not crack the shield.

Liked: 605

Default question

remember Lexan gets brittle with age....I have no idea though of something like this....a helmet with the shield stored in a bag in a dark closet gets no UV, which contributes to the ageing effect, and only shown the sunlight at the track for maybe a few hours total several weekends a year at some point is no where near as strong....but how long would that be?

Quote Originally Posted by David Locke View Post
    .....Narrow eyeport helmets are readily available...
    True but only, as far as I can see, if you have a nice round head that suits Bell and most other helmets. If you have a long head like I do there appears to be nothing available. Arai claim their GP6 will fit oval heads - but not mine.

Quote Originally Posted by David Locke View Post
    .........Bell manufactures the Zylon panel only for the shape and contour of the SE07 shield..........
    I think Stilo also has Zylon panels available - at a price.

Talking of the Zylon panels - why does F1 still require them? All their drivers use custom molded helmets so why not just extend the main shell further down?

Quote Originally Posted by dereklola View Post
    Talking of the Zylon panels - why does F1 still require them? All their drivers use custom molded helmets so why not just extend the main shell further down?
    Not all use custom molded helmets. Some use the Bell HP7 with the standard shell. http://media.gettyimages.com/photos/...re-id516120452

The Zylon panel is not intended to serve the same function as the main shell. It's designed to reinforce the visor to keep it from caving into the opening in the shell. http://www.fia.com/sites/default/fil...ion%20v0.4.pdf
    Last edited by David Locke; 05.21.16 at 7:56 AM.

The visor wouldn't need reinforcing if the eyeport were smaller - but let's not try to redesign custom helmets for a handful of F1 drivers!

I assume that your Zylon panel still meets the upward visibility requirements which begs the question in my mind why are the eyeports so high in the first place, even the narrow ones in "formula car" helmets - sort of brings me back to my original question.

Thanks to all who replied - some interesting views.

Quote Originally Posted by dereklola View Post
    The visor wouldn't need reinforcing if the eyeport were smaller - but let's not try to redesign custom helmets for a handful of F1 drivers!

I assume that your Zylon panel still meets the upward visibility requirements which begs the question in my mind why are the eyeports so high in the first place, even the narrow ones in "formula car" helmets - sort of brings me back to my original question.

Thanks to all who replied - some interesting views.
    I wouldn't think Bell would manufacture the Zylon visor panel for RS7s and HP7s if it didn't meet the FIA's upward visibility requirements, but here's what my panel looks like from the side:

Attached Images Attached Images

Thread Information