Thread: Glenn Phillips

Contributing Member
    Liked: 863

Default Glenn Phillips

Glenn passed away this evening after a long battle with cancer.

As long time owner of GTP Motorsports, he was one of the original teams helping to found the F2000 Championship Series and fielded multiple cars for all ten years of our existence. He will be sorely missed.

Arrangements TBD.
    ----------
    In memory of Joe Stimola and Glenn Phillips

Liked: 6

Default Glenn

Very sorry to hear that. Condolences from ZSports....
    Ron

Liked: 804

RIP Glenn.

Liked: 3787

One of the "Good Guys".
    I first met him on a trip to New Hampshire to interview for a position with the F2kCS on a cold winter day. He made me feel welcome from the get go. And at every event since he was a great friend to both Janice and myself.
    One hell of a great race engineer. A loving husband that was truly devastated by the loss of his wife and racing partner.
    A great practical joker in the paddock. Glenn helped many to be able to enjoy the sport.
    Truly a original and continual supporter of the F2kCS series.
    He will be missed.

Liked: 43

I am at a complete loss for words.
    Washed up never-was

Liked: 126

Definitely a shock. Many condolences to his family.

Contributing Member a. pettipas's Avatar
    Liked: 84

I 2nd Rob's shock... sincere condolences to Glenn's family and friends.
    aaron

Classifieds Super License marshall9's Avatar
    Liked: 502

RIP Glenn, Condolences to family and friends.

Liked: 42

Condolences. Great to see him last month at WGI.

Contributing Member ric baribeault's Avatar
    Liked: 258

Even saying he was one of the greatest men I've know in nearly 40 years of racing falls short of accurately describing Glenn. There's just no words

I am really glad he made it to Watkins Glen a couple weeks ago. That pole was the best moment of my racing career because he was there, and the circumstances what they were.

I feel totally lost.
    Washed up never-was

Contributing Member
    Liked: 15

Default Very sad news!

Glenn was definitely one of the good ones! I knew him for years doing various series. In "07" I had the good fortune of working with him in the Pro Formula Mazda mega team Andersen Racing. It was a four car team and he engineered the car I wrenched on for Johnny Baker. The three of us really got along well. Johnny was a Britt, great guy and good race driver. He did have a "fair amount of incidences" which ALWAYS kept me busy that year. At our race in Salt Lake City after an early weekend shunt Johnny and Glenn decided if/when he wrecked again he'd shave his head (see before & after pic's)! After our race and completely loading the semi we had some time to kill so Glenn had an idea for a short road trip for us. The first thing about that excursion I remember was flying down some secluded dirt road at a GOOD rate of speed when Glen SLAMMED on the brakes locking up all wheels and said "did you see it"? I said what and he said a BIG snake so I said "back up". We made it back to the snake who stretched across both lanes and I could see right away Johnny DIDN'T LIKE SNAKES! I got out with my camera to take some pic's then I said "Johnny I'll bring it over for you to see. As I ACTED like I was going to pick it up Johnny went CRAZY and Glen couldn't stop laughing! After that we headed out to paved highways, neither Johnny or I had ever been there before but Glen said he had an idea. After some beautiful scenic driving Glenn said we're here as we entered Olympic Park which hosted the Olympic's when it was in the US! They had ski jumping into a lake and I saw they offered paid rides on the Olympic Bobsled course in a 4 man bobsled on wheels. I was the only one that decided to try it and it was MEMORABLE, Johnny used my camera to take a vid of it! If it wasn't for Glenn I'd never have these VERY SPECIAL memories!

I'm sure there are many more of his friends that knew Glenn much better than I did with many more memories and feel his loss. As I've been out of racing about four years now due too Leukemia this hits VERY close to me. May God bless Glen for his final laps in heaven.

Steve Fried
    Attached Images Attached Images

Liked: 17

Default Glenn Phillips

A huge loss. So upsetting.

I am so glad I got to see him once more at WGI. Such an awesome guy and so nice and willing to help all the time. Told me a couple of great stories. Wish I could hear more of them and could have a chance to know him even better. He will be missed immensely.

Liked: 79

So sorry to hear this- just a wonderful person and example to the rest of us. So glad Tim was able to get pole for Glen at WG. RIP Mr. Phillips.

Liked: 64

Gods Speed,I will allways remember him and his crew showing up for qualifying in there Pajamas.I will miss him and he will be missed.
    RIP
    Tim MinorFc88
    Tim Minor

Liked: 1

Default Glenn Philips

The first race day I worked for Glenn as a driver coach was Pajama Day. I had apparently missed the memo. Glenn always had that glint in his eye for a reason. As much as he was about going fast, he was also on the lookout for a laugh to keep things balanced. I only got to know him in the last year or so but I feel so honored to have worked with him. What a completely authentic, true blue racer. Rick Paul had a Glenn at the Glen dinner at the Seneca Lodge the Friday evening before Tim Paul's wonderful Pole run and Glenn could identify every single driver on the many F1 posters in the back room. Glenn left us way to soon but he had found a way to live his life doing exactly what he wanted to do. He was such a great guy. Many will miss him and I'm one of them.

17. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 0

Default This is terriblle

We all will miss Glenn, i truly have very fond memories of he and his family.
    Condolences

Rob
    Last edited by Sweeper; 06.15.15 at 10:46 AM. Reason: Der
    Rob Weiner
    NCF #3

Classifieds Super License
    Liked: 9

Glenn was a real racer and a true friend to many. His humor will be missed by everyone who knew him- the only time he wasn't smiling at the track was when he was contemplating a change to a race car or coming up with a joke or prank! His family has endured more than any one of them deserve- I hope they know the number of real friends Glenn had who will miss him and keep him alive in our thoughts.

20. The following 2 users liked this post:

Liked: 106

Truly Sad. He was a blessing to so many, he lived the sport and helped every one who asked. Certainly he has left his imprint on this sport and will be missed by every one who ever had the privledge to know him.

Default Good Day Sir......

Through every challenge..... Glenn moved forward, onto the next... Now he moves on.

Although I am very sad to see Glenn leave, he will always be present in memory.

Good Day Sir. Thank you for your time with us.

Peace

GR
    Peace
    HardRock Motorsport

Default RIP Glenn

Sad to lose such a really nice guy. Glenn was always willing to share knowledge,
    spares, and friendship. He will be missed. Condolences.

Default I will miss Glenn so much

Glenn was a great friend to me and I'm at a loss for words. As a driver with and a sponsor of GTP Motorsports, I never had more fun in my life than being with him in a paddock. He will be greatly missed by everyone in the sport.

Default GTP

A week since Glenn passed. It still doesn't seem possible. He was making changes on Tim's car at WGI during Friday practice and we were laughing about whether he made it better or worse (better of course). I never had so much fun racing. And I never doubted that Tim was in good hands. We sent Glenn a text on Saturday that the pole was for him. I know he was happy as hell. And it WAS for him.
    I will miss him. But never forget what a great person he was. Our friend...........
    Rick
    Attached Images Attached Images

26. The following 5 users liked this post:

Liked: 120

To help out Glenn's children:

http://www.gofundme.com/yh9f8rs

Thanks Dennis. I have posted to FB. I know all who knew him will help.
    RP

Liked: 120

Glenn was a good man and a serious part of the formula car racing community for many years. I would hope that everyone in the ApexSpeed community that has any disposable income to spare would donate. If it were your kids you'd like to think we all would step up to the plate for a couple of dollars...

Liked: 19

There will be a remembrance party at Glenn's shop on July 19th starting at 1PM...
    Many of his friends from childhood, racing motorcycles and cars will be there.
    There will be food - plenty of Guinness and ton's of stories......

195 North Road, Candia NH

See you there, Matt.
    Washed up never-was

Thread Information