Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Eyeglass Ideas

Liked: 608

Learn something everyday.

As none of my LASIK Patients have had a problem years later such that we would consider touching up the powers, the thought of PRK after LASIK years before had not come up. To learn more, it turns out if the procedure was over 5 or so years ago, then it is that PRK and not lift the flap is one way to go and often considered the better idea. You must understand it is going to take a few days to regrow the epithelium cells back over the denuded cornea, so it is not the same post-op experience as LASIK. PRK came first but because LASIK had people almost always comfortable the next day, a lot of surgeons went in that direction. One day post PRK and you'll be also looking through a hazy cornea which slowly clears. Don't do anything to take the bandage contact off until your Doc says it's Ok.

2. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 41

I had LASIK in 2000. Starting point was 20/450 plus some astigmatism. After LASIK, I was 20/15 for many years. Has now deteriorated to 20/25. At my age (66) reading glasses are a must but at least I can still see the needles on the gauges even if I can't read the numbers too well. . A couple of years ago, I tried to use bifocal contacts. My eye doc tried a number of lenses even some experimental ones. Did not work too well as the spherical curve of my eyes is not so spherical any more and the contacts would not seat properly.
    Craig Farr
    2006 Stohr WF1 P2
    FARROUT Racing

After years of prescribing them I find no matter the brand and even on a non-LASIK eye, the bifocal/multifocal contacts produce acceptable vision for maybe 15% to 20% of those that try them

ApexSpeed Photographer Dennis Valet's Avatar
    Liked: 60

Quote Originally Posted by EYERACE View Post
    Sounds like your cornea is sort of thin because astigmatism in and of itself can be done with LASIK

Remember the thought is this: we will lessen your dependence on glasses.........lessen.
    Well, I'm only 28 so I figure if I get 20 years glasses free it will be a great investment

My doctor explained to me that based upon my eyes, PRK would have a better chance of correcting to 20/20 (or better) than LASIK and PRK would be less risky than LASIK as there is a chance that the LASIK flap would not properly seat on my eye after the surgery. Also, I play sports (hockey and basketball) so he recommended PRK over LASIK in addition to the above reasons because contact to the eye could dislodge a LASIK flap (rare event but possible).

Any of that sounds reasonable to you? Second opinions are always welcome.

Dennis it does sound reasonable. Do know going into this that with PRK you will have a few days post-op of hazy vision and some degree of less than perfect comfort. Years ago, when these lasers were not yet approved in the USA, I sent Patients to a Doc in Canada and then I did all the follow-up care in Orlando. I have only dealt with a few PRK cases over the past time since the lasers became USA approved because most of them have been LASIK. I am happy to say all PRK cases turned out as planned with no complications in these many years. Every PRK has a degree of haze for a while post-surgical it seems, more so if your power was marked. I had one very strong PRK ablation Patient that even four months later seemed a little hazy in the slit lamp microscope to me - the Patient had no subjective complaint, so she was happy. After about another year even that Patient's haze cleared, so then she and I were both happy.
    Do hold very still and do your best to keep looking at the light as instructed even though the light will become blurry during the procedure.

Liked: 45

I use titanium frames (extremely flexible) with a Bell M4, very easy to put the glasses on.

Quite a few years ago, I discovered Transitions DriveWear lenses. They are amazing sunglasses. They change from a red/brown in bright sun to yellow in cloud cover. And they're made to work with polarized windshields.

And I get them at 1/4 the typical cost of LensCrafters, etc.

ApexSpeed Photographer Dennis Valet's Avatar
    Liked: 60

Quote Originally Posted by EYERACE View Post
    Dennis it does sound reasonable. Do know going into this that with PRK you will have a few days post-op of hazy vision and some degree of less than perfect comfort. Years ago, when these lasers were not yet approved in the USA, I sent Patients to a Doc in Canada and then I did all the follow-up care in Orlando. I have only dealt with a few PRK cases over the past time since the lasers became USA approved because most of them have been LASIK. I am happy to say all PRK cases turned out as planned with no complications in these many years. Every PRK has a degree of haze for a while post-surgical it seems, more so if your power was marked. I had one very strong PRK ablation Patient that even four months later seemed a little hazy in the slit lamp microscope to me - the Patient had no subjective complaint, so she was happy. After about another year even that Patient's haze cleared, so then she and I were both happy.
    Do hold very still and do your best to keep looking at the light as instructed even though the light will become blurry during the procedure.
    Thank you for the advice and your opinion.

I am having the surgery on Thursday morning and I do not plan on doing anything until Tuesday morning when I will try to go to work. I have already resigned myself to a few weeks of misery and I definitely don't have any delusions that I will have a LASIK like recovery.

I ordered a bunch of audio books and I have some couch space reserved for me

Classifieds Super License racerdad2's Avatar
    Liked: 202

BillH ! Can you share where you get those lenses ? They sound like a great solution ! I'm just not into $600.00 or more for a pair of glasses.

PM me if it's confidential. TIA !
    "An analog man living in a digital world"

Liked: 5

I have used the flexi titanium frames but have found the stiff legged safety glasses are the best. Part of the reason is that they have easily replaced components so when you do bend them up putting them on or trying to pull your helmet off, take them in and they get fixed for a couple of bucks versus buying another pair.

I would like to understand why plain plastic is better then poly carbonate lenses?
    Thom
    Back to fenders=SRF

Liked: 22

Default meet and exceed ANSI Z87.2-2003....

My driving glasses serve double duty as they are also my "safety glasses" May not look so trendie but I'd rather have plastic frames and plastic lenses around my eyes and face in case of an accident.

"The Bobster Gunner provides high impact protection to meet and exceed ANSI Z87.2-2003 standards"

http://www.rx-safety.com/brands/bobs...-bgun0011.html

These guys are pretty inexpensive,,,

Liked: 210

Quote Originally Posted by BillH View Post
    .... LensCrafters, etc.
    You just ruined my day mentioning them! I used to think it was a pretty good option for glasses until I actually tried them about 3 years ago.

Needed a new correction so I went to LensCrafters because I thought they would be reasonable. Ooooohhh was I wrong. They INSISTED I have a full eye exam from their ophthalmologist (not an optometrist) and he ran just about every test I had NEVER had done on my eyes. By the time I got out of there with a pair of glasses I had a $600 bill some of which we were still fighting over 24 months later when I needed a replacement pair because I broke mine. I figured what -the-heck might as well go back there because they have the prescription and it will be cheep. NO WAY, because it had been just over 24 months, they REFUSED to use my old prescription and INSISTED on a complete new eye exam.. JEEEZUS.. another $525 before I got out of there!!! AND I was still getting miscellaneous little bills from them for another 4 months.

NEVER AGAIN... next time I need glasses I'm headed to Wal-Mart.
    CREW for Jeff 89 Reynard or Flag & Comm.

I use Drive-Wear lenses and like them. Though they can be had with prescription powers mine are no power. They were a comp pair so I tried them. Some people will feel they are not dark enough. Know they are polarized, some people do not like polarized lenses when driving because some car's windows will look like a waffle iron. If you fish, use polarized lenses. It's personal taste about polarized if driving. Drive-Wear uses polycarbonate.

One thing you're not often told is, and it's more of a factor depending on the power [that's why I mentioned my Drive-Wear are no power], but you don't see as clearly through polycarbonate vs. standard CR-39 plastic. Sure polycarbonate by any other name is Lexan but I figure you're already protected by the Lexan of your helmet visor so there is little need to use polycarbonate lenses racing, especially if there's a vision difference.....your opinion about the protection factor may differ and I have no problem with that.

And Dennis - I don't think you're getting ready for a few weeks of misery, maybe just a few days tops.

And Rick, maybe next time just try a Private Practice Optometrist

Liked: 45

Quote Originally Posted by racerdad2 View Post
    BillH ! Can you share where you get those lenses ? They sound like a great solution ! I'm just not into $600.00 or more for a pair of glasses.

PM me if it's confidential. TIA !
    Ok to answer you and Rick, and upset any ophthalmologist here (they certainly can help people) but, one of the biggest ripoffs in the U. S. besides prescription drugs is the pricing on eyeglasses/sunglasses. Plus the idiots who buy the designer stuff.

I used to wear Serengeti sunglasses before I needed corrective lenses and was just blown away by them. I tried to get them in prescription lenscrafters and a local doctor, but no luck.

I found out about Drivewear and got a pair, really liked them.

First, go here and read up.

http://www.transitions.com/en-us/pro...r-transitions/

So, here's the story:

Went to a local optometrist, thought his prices were really high.

Went to LensCrafters, they wanted $525 for the DriveWare lens in titanium frames.

That's nuts, I went on line and found:

http://www.39dollarglasses.com/

Their price for Transition lenses with titanium frames (made in China) was $153 and regular clear lenses (their top of the line poly) was $104.

So, I filled out the prescript on line, had the Drivewear's in 10 days except the frame color really didn't match the pic online. sent an email , got another pair in 7 days with frames I liked , super service.

Long term: I use cases on both pair when I'm not wearing them and don't mishandle them. The DriveWear's have zero scratches, the clear-one small scratch. And the DriveWear's get shoved into my helmet all the time. The "made in China" frames have been sat on, twisted and everything else and still look like new - that's 7 years guys.

Note: the pricing and availability is from 7 years ago.

Guess where I'm buying my next pair when my prescription changes?

Classifieds Super License racerdad2's Avatar
    Liked: 202

Thx !
    "An analog man living in a digital world"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information