Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Liked: 174

Yawnnnnnnnnnnn....there was a race???

Liked: 25

Default Race

Having been at COTA for the SVRA race less than a month ago, it was fun to watch on TV with the stands full.

While maybe not the most exciting race I've ever seen, I was surprised how many comments were made about the track and the city of Austin! Very impressive, and great job to all those involved!

Contributing Member
    Liked: 290

The stands were not full.

The comments were a bunch of nationalistic marketing hype. I bet that was not what you heard on feeds in other countries.

Brian

Liked: 444

Quote Originally Posted by Hardingfv32 View Post

The comments were a bunch of nationalistic marketing hype. I bet that was not what you heard on feeds in other countries.

Brian
    Half full or half empty?

Liked: 49

Quote Originally Posted by Hardingfv32 View Post

Brian
    Actually, it was. Everyone loves the track and everyone commented on how great the public and the city of Austin were.

Classifieds Super License racerdad2's Avatar
    Liked: 202

There was plenty of good 'racing' back in the field. Vettel did his usual demonstration of hot laps out front. More coverage of the back markers & more in car video, please. Would it hurt to let us 'run' a couple of laps, uniterupted, watching the on board ?
    "An analog man living in a digital world"

Liked: 227

Default why no Historic GP?

Just got back from another great weekend in Austin. Just like last year, the track and Austin airport did an excellent job with logistics. The food lines in the track were not nearly as long as last year, even on Sunday. Austin is a great city, with really nice people and an endless supply of great brisket (Salt Lick BBQ!!!!!) and Tex-Mex.

My only complaint is that the support races are lame and almost non-existent. Why no Historic GP this year? Maybe Charlie Warner or someone else involved in Historic GP can give us some insight. No knock on SVRA, but it was a big disappointment after enjoying the Historic GP cars last year and at the Indy USGP. No Porsche cup this year either. Ferarri Challenge is always fun, because there are some drivers who have courage beyond their skill level, but no other support races? What's the deal? Even at GA prices, the value proposition is getting beyond justification without better supporting races.

No SCCA race next year at COTA + high ticket prices with no support races = I'm not going to the USGP next year (for the first time since F1 came back to the US in 2000).

Cory

Contributing Member Mike Scanlan's Avatar
    Liked: 94

Quote Originally Posted by racerdad2 View Post
    Cowboys on horses could've roped that car & got behind the wall in one caution lap..... come on Texans ! Rollbacks are from NYC
    Now,now, if NYC has to trashed here, let's get it right. 6 guys jump over the wall and the car is gone, I mean gone, fuged'boutit.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Scanlan View Post
    Now,now, if NYC has to trashed here, let's get it right. 6 guys jump over the wall and the car is gone, I mean gone, fuged'boutit.
    Just the wheels and mirrors! They wouldn't know what to do with the rest of it.

Liked: 11

Default Bernie call Thomas, Mike & Nicholas @ USF1000

Quote Originally Posted by cory mcleod View Post
    Ferarri Challenge is always fun, because there are some drivers who have courage beyond their skill level, but no other support races? What's the deal? Even at GA prices, the value proposition is getting beyond justification without better supporting races.
    Cory
    Simple, Bernie should contact Thomas C., Mike B. & Nicholas B. & make it a USF1000 weekend!
    Working hard to enhance my Carbon Fiber footprint....
    2011 Stohr F1000
    www.Area81Racing.com

Liked: 159

Default USF1000 and F1....wow

Now that would really work! Bernie might actually like that idea! I know we all would.

Jerry

Quote Originally Posted by Revs2-12k View Post
    Simple, Bernie should contact Thomas C., Mike B. & Nicholas B. & make it a USF1000 weekend!

Classifieds Super License Charles Warner's Avatar
    Liked: 416

Quote Originally Posted by cory mcleod View Post
    My only complaint is that the support races are lame and almost non-existent. Why no Historic GP this year? Maybe Charlie Warner or someone else involved in Historic GP can give us some insight.
    Simple function of cost. Bernie and al ask way too much. There was a move at the eleventh hour to get us on the ticket at a much reduced fee - assume due to a lack of quality support races - but we could not muster the 20 cars needed. Plus hotels were already full, planes full, plans made, etc.

Last year we ponied up a high price to be part of the first show - and it was a hoot. I understand they initially wanted more this year (I was not privy to any numbers) and we were not willing to do that. To quote Pete Seeger - "when will they ever learn?"

HGP, for those not aware, has been sold to the European Masters Group and we will be run along those lines. Not sure if that means we'll partner with FIA or not but the schedule is supposed to be better.
    Charlie Warner
    fatto gatto racing

'Cause there's bugger-all down here on earth!

Liked: 19

What a world class facility....
    It's not Spa or Monza - It's what a modern track should be like... Nice layout - plenty of parking, more than one way in/out - plenty of viewing spots.... A/C, Prime Rib, somebody pouring champagne at every turn - maybe that was just me....

Oh - Romain says Hi

Liked: 1

Default Alternative TV

If your cable system has it you can watch the race on Univision (Spanish).

The commentary is, not surprisingly, in Spanish, but there are NO commercials.

[QUOTE=Paul LeCain;412852]If your cable system has it you can watch the race on Univision (Spanish).

The commentary is, not surprisingly, in Spanish, but there are NO commercials.[/QUOT.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul LeCain View Post
    If your cable system has it you can watch the race on Univision (Spanish).

The commentary is, not surprisingly, in Spanish, but there are NO commercials.
    No soda cookie commercials

Liked: 210

Quote Originally Posted by BURKY View Post
    No soda cookie commercials

That really is a pretty dumb commercial. At the end of it you're mind is so far from Mobil 1 that you'll never remember it at the auto parts store.
    CREW for Jeff 89 Reynard or Flag & Comm.

Quote Originally Posted by rickb99 View Post
    That really is a pretty dumb commercial. At the end of it you're mind is so far from Mobil 1 that you'll never remember it at the auto parts store.
    Hopefully after this season we won't ever see it again. It's kinda funny that F1 wants nothing to do with Nascar, yet they play it 50 times a race.

Hopefully after this season we won't ever see it again. It's kinda funny that F1 wants nothing to do with Nascar, yet they play it 50 times a race.
    MOBIL 1 is paying for the commercial time. F1 really has no control over that thank god. That's all we need is for F1 to gain control of the TV advertising revenue.

Liked: 227

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Warner View Post
    Simple function of cost. Bernie and al ask way too much. There was a move at the eleventh hour to get us on the ticket at a much reduced fee - assume due to a lack of quality support races - but we could not muster the 20 cars needed. Plus hotels were already full, planes full, plans made, etc.

Last year we ponied up a high price to be part of the first show - and it was a hoot. I understand they initially wanted more this year (I was not privy to any numbers) and we were not willing to do that. To quote Pete Seeger - "when will they ever learn?"

HGP, for those not aware, has been sold to the European Masters Group and we will be run along those lines. Not sure if that means we'll partner with FIA or not but the schedule is supposed to be better.
    Charlie,

Thanks for the info. I figured it came down to $$$. I'm sure you've also been following the discussion of SCCA not going back next year. Starting to seem like the track is being run by non-racers. Hope it can succeed as a $450MM concert venue that happens to host a couple of races each year.

Cory

Classifieds Super License racerdad2's Avatar
    Liked: 202

Concerts at COTA would suck. Bad acoustics. Great for marathon pig races !!! They love them Tony Stewart Oreos !!!
    "An analog man living in a digital world"

Quote Originally Posted by rickb99 View Post
    MOBIL 1 is paying for the commercial time. F1 really has no control over that thank god. That's all we need is for F1 to gain control of the TV advertising revenue.
    Thanks, but I'm pretty sure, I know how marketing works.

Thanks, but I'm pretty sure, I know how marketing works.
    Cool. I was Vice President of Marketing for a major division of RCA for about 10 years. So, I know a little about it myself. We also owned NBC at the time. So, I know a little about how TV works technically and business wise.

Liked: 25

Default COTA Attendance

In an unsuccessful attempt to find an entry list or results for the Vintage Formula races during the weekend, I did find COTA's press release on the attendance:

"113,162 watch Sebastian Vettel make history at Circuit of The Americas™ during 2013 F1USGP

A massive crowd of 113,162 race fans watched Formula 1™ racing’s new driving powerhouse, Infiniti Red Bull Racing’s Sebastian Vettel, make history, as the 2013 World Champion driver scored his eighth consecutive Grand Prix victory at Circuit of The Americas (COTA). In doing so, the 26-year-old German wunderkind topped the record of seven consecutive wins set by his racing idol, Michael Schumacher, who retired after the 2012 season. Three-day attendance for COTA’s second Formula 1 Grand Prix was 250,324, with 58,276 fans attending Friday’s practice sessions and 78,886 turning out for Saturday’s qualifying rounds."

- Frank C

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information