Liked: 159

Default Draining the water

Just drained my Fit since it is going to go to the low 20's tonight. The drain plug is on the right hand side near the front of the block. It requires a 19mm socket (3/4 is the same size) and in my case a breaker bar. It was a bear to crack loose. Don't use an inferior socket or you run the risk of rounding off the head before it comes loose.

Steve

Contributing Member
    Liked: 210

What is used to seal the plug? Gasket, loctite, o-ring, copper washer, or ?

Liked: 159

Default Some red goop

Not sure what Honda used. Like an RTV that never really sets up? There is hardly any of it between the flange of the plug and the engine surface, so a thin RTV layer will probable work when I put it all back together in the spring

Liked: 10

Quote Originally Posted by Roux View Post
    Not sure what Honda used. Like an RTV that never really sets up? There is hardly any of it between the flange of the plug and the engine surface, so a thin RTV layer will probable work when I put it all back together in the spring
    Hylomar?

Banned
    Liked: 1116

It's called Hondabond HT Liquid Gasket. Many places in Honda factory service manuals just refer to it as "Liquid Gasket". HT is the high temp version. I don't know if there is a "Low-Temp" version or what exactly Hondabond is, but it is silicone based.

Liked: 33

Steve, great minds think a like. I just drained the Swift and Z16 tonight. The Honda block drain plug did require a 1/2 breaker bar and let go with a snap. Make sure that you remove the Van Diemen style exhaust pipe to get proper alignment with the socket. I plan on drilling and safety wiring the plug when installed for next season.

ajw

Contributing Member
    Liked: 303

Default Be tankfull

Be tankfull you don't have a Bowman. To drain the block is easy, remove the plug. To drain the radiators, well no provision was made. You just have to remove them and let it run all over. Best done outside and glad we don't use anti-freeze when I do this.

Ed

Contributing Member glenn cooper's Avatar
    Liked: 136

Default What I've done

was to pull off a bleed line, place in bucket, start car, which will piss water out, when half the capacity of the cooling system has come out, shut off car.
    Mark container at level of water, empty container, fill w/ antifreeze to marked level, remove cooling system cap and fill w/ coolant.
    Replace cap and start car, bring to temp to thoroughly mix coolant and water.
    Shut off car, take nap knowing that you have protected your baby for yet another horrible winter.

Or, ya could move south far enough to not have to deal with the above scenario!

Thread Information