Liked: 9

For those that race in the Midwestern Council on a regular basis and for those that race with us on occassion, something happened at the last board meeting that may come as a big surprise. Without driver input, it was decided that all open wheel cars would be racing together this season. This means F440, F500, FV, CFF, FF, FC, FA and whatever other open wheel car. My concern is the speed differential between these cars. As has been stated by some of my fellow competitors, and accident waiting to happen.

I spoke to one of the stewards this weekend and the reason I was given for the change was that the weight differential between a Spec Racer and a Vee or 440/500 was what prompted the change. Any time they bump, its the open wheel car that loses. The "fix" is to put the CSR, DSR, S2 and CS2 in with the Spec Racers and again the Vees 440/500's in with the FF, CFF, FC and FA's.

I found it ironic that at the same board meeting where this was passed that they would look closer at cars running a second race under the UNR catagory because some really didn't belong out there because of SPEED DIFFERENTIAL.

I am disappointed that driver's were not even asked what they thought of this. It is our club isn't it? Don't we have a say? If you are concerned about this, I will be attending the next MC Board Meeting to express my displeasure at how this happened. If you race with us and are concerned about this please send me an email. Tell me what you think.

Brad
    Currently Without Car

Liked: 447

That's more of a reason to run SCCA this season.

We didn't attempt to go to an SCCA race at Grattan late in the season last year for that very reason. They were going to lump all of the formula cars together. All you need is a slower car not watching his/her mirrors with the speed difference and it's a recipe for vehicle damage or worse. It is the responsibility of the overtaking driver to make a clean pass, but I've been chopped at many times by someone who didn't know I was there.
    2003 VanDiemen FSCCA #29
    Follow me on Twitter @KeithCarter74

Keith,

Hey..I waved you by cleanly...and CHUCKU2, and the list goes on! You are right. You just may see me at a few SCCA races this season, and I do know of one other driver who will also be making the switch.
    Currently Without Car

Liked: 0

Brad,

I agree, I would consider the groupings unsafe, due to the speed differential. I also seem to remember we didn't go to the Grattan weekend last year due to the groupings. Test days, etc. are one thing, because there is no competition going on...but make it a race situation, and even a couple of the best F500 drivers in the world engaged in a battle for the class lead might not notice that FA or FC bearing down on them to lap them (afterall, they weren't even in sight at that last corner).

The difference in lap times on paper aren't as intimidating as they are in the cockpit. I am not familiar with the whole situation you describe, but I really think a poll of the drivers in the group would be the best since it is their lives that are on the line.

Just imagine that grouping at Road America! I can't tell you how many times an atlantic has come screaming by out of nowhere (or so it seems). I'd hate to experience that in a Formula Vee!!! Accident waiting to happen.
    Chuck Lessick

ZATgraphics.com
    2006 Top Private Team Cooper Tire Series

Not to mention, from the cockpit of a F500, a FM or FC looks like the size of a schoolbus. I can't imagine seeing an Atlantic coming up on me at the end of a long straight. They might just blow me off the road! Then putting a Vee in the same situation is just plain stupid. That's begging for a bad situation.

The Grattan fiasco from last year WILL NOT happen again. SCCA Pro Racing was most of the cause of the groupings. SCCA Pro will not be part of our races this year.

BTW, the Grattan National and Fall Regional have switched. The National is on Labor Day weekend, and the Regional is in August.

Phil Green
    Western Michigan Region - SCCA

Originally posted by ChuckU2:
    Test days, etc. are one thing, because there is no competition going on...
    and then there's the crew of the car, of an unamed classification, that went to the grid of the practice and qualifying session with a spare nose cone on the back of the pit cart. [img]graemlins/skull.gif[/img]

I had sore arms after that Grattan weekend trying to make the blue flag as large as possible. Glad to hear it won't be like that again.
    _ _ _________________________ _ _

Dennis Hand
    Nat. F&C, GLDiv SCCA

Liked: 1

Reading the supps. for the SARRC race at Robling: I see that the FF's were added to the FC group and the DSR'sSS(who are faster on the gas but can't turn) will be put with the V's and F5 cars.
    Maby this will draw up the compition in open wheel!
    SuperTech Engineering inc.
    Mark Hatheway

For anyone keeping score, the Madison Sports Car Club will be going to the next Board meeting with the OFFICIAL position that the grops NOT change. MSCC will make the motion that the groups stay the way they were in 2003. Please contact your Club Steward and urge them to leave the groups as they were in 2003.
    Currently Without Car

Thread Information