Thread: FF requirements

Liked: 18

Default FF requirements

Ok, so I don't have to read for the rest of my entire life...
    I just bought a 84 VD FF. What do I have to do to make this thing compliant to scca?
    Last edited by tim voth; 02.28.13 at 10:53 AM.

Classifieds Super License racerdad2's Avatar
    Liked: 202

Why not take it to your local Tech day ? Fire suppression, from crush box, current belts, pass broomstick, ?
    "An analog man living in a digital world"

Liked: 123

If you don't want to be familiar with and understand the rules, let alone proper preparation of the car so it is race legal, then you have no business running a racing car. Either learn, or hire a pro to do it for you. Seriously, that question is very disturbing.

Brian

Classifieds Super License stonebridge20's Avatar
    Liked: 1908

That's about the most piss poor question I've seen posted on Apexspeed.
    Stonebridge Sports & Classics ltd
    15 Great Pasture Rd Danbury, CT. 06810 (203) 744-1120
    www.cryosciencetechnologies.com
    Cryogenic Processing · REM-ISF Processing · Race Prep & Driver Development

Don't get your panties in a knot ladies! That is exactly the **** I don't care for.
    Trust me, I am perfectly capable. Just thought I would try and speed the process up a little!
    Racerdad-thanks for the intelligent response. That was one of the things I thought of doing.
    I don't understand the broomstick thing though?
    Not trying to step on any toes,but if you run your mouth,your going to get what you give with me

Liked: 24

Gentleman....lets be civil.....

BTW search on Apex is easy and you learn way more then you ask

You will find answers to questions you did not even know.... to ask ~
    Last edited by DB4 Tim; 02.28.13 at 11:28 AM.

Liked: 96

Quote Originally Posted by speedr727 View Post
    While sitting in the car, helmet on, a helper sets a broomstick (or any long straighedge) on the roll bar with the other end toward the front of the car. Your head needs to be below that straight line. This is to insure safety in a rollover.

Thoughtful, civil conversation goes a long way on Apexspeed. Cool heads & keyboards prevail. Otherwise, you may want to have Mike Foschi prep your car.
    "I love the smell of race fuel in the morning. It smells like victory!"
    Barry Wilcock
    Pit Crew: Tumenas Motorsports/Houndspeed, Fat Boy Racing

Liked: 3787

I find SCCA folks to be some of the best on Earth.
    First, are you a member yet?
    If so, look up your region staff (usually the region has a website).
    Call a scrutineer. Many times you can arrange a meeting with the car present.
    He/she will walk you through an inspection.
    I do it for folks all the time.
    If you think you are being talked down to, or not treated like a good customer... change regions.

I must admit that getting comfortable with the GCR is difficult when working with it as a online PDF. Scrolling back and forth all over a 800 page PDF is very time consuming even with the fastest PC processor. You might just print a few sections out (e.g. FF, Glossary, formula roll cage, etc.) and sort of work your way through them. Remember though, whatever you print out this month may be wrong next month.

Contributing Member ric baribeault's Avatar
    Liked: 258

Jesus, who pissed in your corn flakes? There've been worse questions. I know because some have come from me. The best place to start is probably teching the car. That will point out any noncompliance issues and insure the car is safe for you and your fellow drivers. You can learn a lot from reading Apex, and hopefully circumvent some problems, but experience will be the best teacher.
    Barry, you know mike is good with the car. It's people he has trouble with. I think it's a NY thing. LMAO

Liked: 96

Quote Originally Posted by ric baribeault View Post
    Barry, you know mike is good with the car. It's people he has trouble with. I think it's a NY thing. LMAO
    Hence the reference: He is a good engineer, but he is not on Apex...
    "I love the smell of race fuel in the morning. It smells like victory!"
    Barry Wilcock
    Pit Crew: Tumenas Motorsports/Houndspeed, Fat Boy Racing

Classifieds Super License racerdad2's Avatar
    Liked: 202

Purple Frog is right. The GCR is complicated. The simplest way to validate your car is to have it inspected... BEFORE you go to the track on Raceday Personally, I detest the complicated engineering, legal definitions, etc. However, it must be done, I'm grateful that others do it & even More grateful for those truly knowledgeable guys & gals like Purple Frog who devote their time & energies into deciphering the ancient manuscripts
    "An analog man living in a digital world"

Classifieds Super License stonebridge20's Avatar
    Liked: 1908

Don't get your panties in a knot ladies! That is exactly the **** I don't care for.
    Trust me, I am perfectly capable. Just thought I would try and speed the process up a little!
    Racerdad-thanks for the intelligent response. That was one of the things I thought of doing.
    Not trying to step on any toes,but if you run your mouth,your going to get what you give with me
    I see you toned down your origional question considerably by editing it and then respond by telling me to not get my panties in a knot. Not too cool!
    Stonebridge Sports & Classics ltd
    15 Great Pasture Rd Danbury, CT. 06810 (203) 744-1120
    www.cryosciencetechnologies.com
    Cryogenic Processing · REM-ISF Processing · Race Prep & Driver Development

I think he understands the error of his ways

Liked: 11

Speed- the problem is that to answer your question we'd have to re-type the rule book- everything in there is what you need to be compliant.

I'm sure the car is pretty close as-is. When was it last raced? Do you have the log book? If so when was the last annual? What did the previous owner say?

Are you complaint? Do you have a license?

My 1st car was a barn find. At the time I knew little to nothing about FC, the SCCA rules, etc. I asked a lot of questions and the folks here were very helpful. My questions were a little more specific- which helped people answer them.

Then I took the car to Comprent in Athens, Ga (not too far from you)- they went over the car, installed some fresh belts etc working with my budget and making sure the car was compliant. In driver's school I had Mike & Court- both FC guys who taught me a ton about the car- at the time Court had the same car (96 van Diemen) which was also helpful.
    Sean O'Connell
    1996 RF96 FC
    1996 RF96 FB
    2004 Mygale SJ04 Zetec

Liked: 157

Assuming the car hasnt been molested (ie it is in the same configuration as it was originally constructed), for the most part it will be SCCA compliant.

One exception will be the seat belts. These have to be either SFI or FIA certified. If SFI, they have to be less than 2 years old; if FIA they have an expiration year on them (I think they are good for 5 years from new) and of course they have to be the right type (minimum 5 point harness).

Next big thing: do you have an SCCA log book for the car? Please say yes. If not, start a new thread about what to do.

Do you know when the car was last teched by SCCA? If recently, things will go easier. If it was many years ago they will be more thorough.

They will not be checking every single item to see if it complies with the GCR, ie they are not going to look inside your carburetor or to see if your fuel vent hose exits 16 inches behind the firewall, but here are some things they will usually look for on an annual tech:

1. a working kill switch
    2. a working rain light
    3 numbers of the right size and in the right places (and SCCA stickers too)
    4. belts
    5. many inspectors will look for the log-book number stamped into the chassis (usually on the roll hoop), see if you can find yours.
    6. fire bottle
    7. make sure no body panels are loose
    8. catch bottle for radiator and tranny overflow

Thats all I can think of now, I am sure others will add to the list.

You didnt ask about driver safety equipment compliance, there are of course rules for that too.

Good luck

Tom

PS, Agnif, I read the original post before editing and if I hadnt been on the train at the time I would have typed the same thing you did.

Tom, i think Mike's not gettin' any.

That is just not right on so many levels

Ok...I guess I was a little frustrated when I posted initially. But! I definitely wasn't trying to make people mad,that's for sure. I'll watch my entrance from now on.
    Anyways, I was reading the ff/fc rule changes that went on for pages and pages. It sounded as though anything prior to 1986 had to have some changes made to it? By the sounds of things, I should be pretty much ready to go. I have a couple of log books,driving license. Maybe the belts need an upgrade.

I respect and appreciate you guys a bunch,so don't get the wrong idea

Liked: 8

Ok...I guess I was a little frustrated when I posted initially. But! I definitely wasn't trying to make people mad,that's for sure. I'll watch my entrance from now on.
    Anyways, I was reading the ff/fc rule changes that went on for pages and pages. It sounded as though anything prior to 1986 had to have some changes made to it? By the sounds of things, I should be pretty much ready to go. I have a couple of log books,driving license. Maybe the belts need an upgrade.

You have a driving license or a competition license (from NASA, SCCA, etc)? If you do not have a racing license, you need to decide where you're going to race and get in touch with that organization NOW to get the process started - medical, paperwork, etc.

I'd highly recommend taking what Tom and others have posted, going out to the garage and going thru the car and THEN start asking questions.

good luck,
    Mike
    ---------
    Mike Green
    Piper DF2 FF

Very cool to man up ......you can gain a ton here.

Liked: 605

I still haven't seen anyone here post what is the actual answer about 'broomstick'

The car has a main hoop [immediately behind your head] and another hoop, when you're in the car, that's essentially about where the middle of your thighs are - let's just say your dash is attached to it but some cars have a 'dash' on the steering wheel.

Take a long straight whatever [a broomstick might be long enough] and touch it to the upper most center/top of the two hoops so that it angles down showing a hypothetical zone, should your car be flipped over upside down on level ground, that you would be in and not Earth..........your head and helmet should be below this line for obvious reason.

solid Earth one thing but obviously upside down in a gravel trap - an obvious possible intrusion problem with severe injurious outcome.

Contributing Member Earley Motorsports's Avatar
    Liked: 435

Default Broomstick

On broomstick rule... isn't there supposed to be 2" between the top of your helmet and the broomstick?

Graham.

Liked: 151

Quote Originally Posted by Earley Motorsports View Post
    On broomstick rule... isn't there supposed to be 2" between the top of your helmet and the broomstick?

Graham.
    It is 2" below the top of the roll hoop and clearing the broomstick.

Tim, then he shouldn't have served up that nymphomaniac cure, also know as wedding cake

Amherst, New York but i left my heart in San Francisco
    Liked: 292

Default please ignore my comment

this is the most weird thread i have ever read

Liked: 157

Anyways, I was reading the ff/fc rule changes that went on for pages and pages. It sounded as though anything prior to 1986 had to have some changes made to it?
    Tim, none of the rules changes regarding chassis construction that have been enacted since your car was built have any effect on you so no changes are required. In 1986 "minor" rules changes went into effect (for example you now had to have a front crush box) but they were not retroactive and only affected cars built after 1986. The most recent rules changes are also only for cars built after 1986, so you should be good to go.

Liked: 679

Identify your regions tech inspector. offer to buy him pizza and bring the car to his place, if he will give it a really good going through. You WANT him to check more than they are going to check at the track, because your rear end is going to be in it. Bring your gear, too. Alternately, take it to Comprent or another pro-shop, pay them to give it a really good inspection, tecnical and safety, and while it is there, pay them to set up the suspension. Take notes and ask questions. make friends. It will be well worth the money. it is hard to learn in a car that isn't running, allowed on track, or isn't set up pretty close to right.
    just my 2 cents worth.
    Jim
    Swift DB-1
    Talent usually ends up in front, but fun goes from the front of the grid all the way to the back.

Classifieds Super License Joefisherff's Avatar
    Liked: 103

Default RF84

I used to have one, if I can be of any help feel free to contact me. Welcome to the fold.

Contributing Member
    Liked: 3

Default 1st gear

Looks like you bought an ex autocross car. You might want to check your 1st gear. You may need a different set up for road racing.

Thread Information