Liked: 0

Default GM Opel F3 engine is called ECOTEC

Would anyone have any ideas what F3 Opel engines are based on? All of the F3 Opel ads are said to be equipped with so called 'ECOTEC' engines, including British Touring Car engines. Are these engine have any common components with ECOTEC engines we find in GM Cruze?

Liked: 14

Ecotec is a big engine family from GM. It can be anything from a 1.4liter turbo, naturally aspirated 1.8/2.2 to the well known 2.0 turbo. That would be cool if they use the 1.4 liter turbo. I believe the 2.0 turbo might be a bit much for a junior open wheel car since it can make 300ftlbs in near stock trim. That is the engine i am using to convert a 1994 RX7 turbo to piston power(for a customer)....

Liked: 0

Default GP3 engines

Thanks for the info. But is there any common parts in Opel F3 engines with Chevy Cruze engine components? Such as head, blocks, belts, oil pumps, ignition parts and stuff.

On the different note, I don't think 2L turbo is too much at all. In fact, european GP3 series now uses Renault 2L turbo engine putting out 280hps and they are considering changing to new normally aspirated 400hps engines next year.

Liked: 14

Correct, also the Russel driving school cars, these have turbo engines and are carbon tubs. I agree, it sounds like a lot of power and it probably is.

As far as the engine internals, I'm not sure, but the 2.0turbo is a little marvel, it is good up to 700 horses they say. I had a guy running e85 on a solstice 2.0 turbo making 480hp at the wheels @32 psi, and that was a couple of years ago.

Thread Information