Thread: Flexure joints

Liked: 2

Default Flexure joints

In the history of human life on the planet has anyone tried a flexure jont in a light formula car chassis like FB, C, F... or maybe in C or D SR?

Thanks

Chris

Liked: 1886

F1 - they're a light formula car!

I'd guess that outside of maybe a one-off, no one has yet because of costs, etc.

Liked: 14

you might check on the sportsrace site http://dsrforum.yuku.com/ . I * think* Adam Malley and Kevin Allen , both multiple time production car national champions, might might have used flex joint when they built their prototype DSR a handfull of years ago. they had a few cool items on the thing and it been too long for me to be positive. If memory serves they only built 1 customer car. Like everyone they ran into the 2 main problems of car building. being a small constructor and dealing with the cost ( kept me out even with a good design and backing from a University physics department to help underwrite costs) and the case of having to convince people to buy your chassis even if it fast. In their case everyone wanted a stohr WF-1 and even on weekends when they were really quick you get the ultimate killer.. " yeah but you guys are fast in everything".
    Kevin Firlein Autosport,Inc.
    Runoffs 1 Gold 3 Silver 3 bronze, 8 Divisional , 6 Regional Champs , 3x Drivers of the year awards

Liked: 0

Quote Originally Posted by R. Pare View Post
    F1 - they're a light formula car!

I'd guess that outside of maybe a one-off, no one has yet because of costs, etc.
    or because in the grand scheme of things, they wouldn't make a noticeable difference. I'm sure there are plenty of other things to implement in FB that would yield a larger performance gain.

for example: getting the thing built and giving your driver some much needed seat time. no one will care about a perfect car if it never sees the track.
    Mechanical Engineer
    Cal Poly Pomona FSAE 07-10

Thread Information