Liked: 5

Default MK9 Gears question

I've had my 1981 Crossle 45f for about 5 vintage race weekends now. I've had to replace a stub axle and both engine mounts. Apparently both known "wear" parts. Good news I got about 15 spare gear sets collected over the years by the previous owners. Some are marked as 2004 and 2007. While racing at VIR 2 weeks ago, I heard a yathzee cup full noise on the last lap in the last turn.

I pulled the car in, took out the gear stack when I got home and found 8 teeth missing form both sides of 2nd gear. Other than lots of small metal bits everything else looked ok. I had it inspected by someone I respect at a race shop and he said 1st gear was looking pretty worn also.

Now I'm trying to reevaluate gears in general and what to do with the ones I have. I think my 3rd/4th gears are maybe a little low the way I see people pull me out of turns but I can catch them late in the straights. Then again, a lot of factors there.

- How do people check the quality of existing gears? Visual inspection against new? Magnaflux?
    - The dog rings look pretty good but I might replace one and have the other for backup
    - I'm starting to use the Hewland ratio calculator http://www.ratiochart.com/. I'd prefer to get some more general knowledge with people's experiences at places like VIR, Watkin's Glen, Roebling... I haven't had a lot of luck using the perpetual gear thread or the Gear chart on ApexSpeed. I'm trying to find some info more from people that run Club Fords (vs. FC or more modern FF which have different characteristics).

I would prefer to get some new gear sets (other places than Pegasus?) but of course don't have the budget for a lot of trial and error on new gears. As usual, any help would be appreciated.
    Scott Nettleship
    1981 Crossle 45F

Liked: 79

Hi

If you want to give me a call at the shop I can let you know the differences in gear manufacturers, quality, what to look for etc... so you can check out your current inventory.

We're in Mooresville and can help you out with any gearbox questions you may have.

Lee
    Williams Racing Developments Inc
    704 658 0940 www.willrace.com

WE HAVE MOVED...... 503 Performance Road, Mooresville, NC, 28115

Liked: 123

Looking at the dogs is fairly obvious. I look at the root of the teeth (Actually a line about 25% of the way up the tooth, you'll see it) for pitting or signs of surface wear that starts cracking. Any actual crack, toss the gear. A full line of pitting across the face of the tooth root, toss the gear. First is often a fixed gear ground on the input shaft so can often be stronger than second. I've broken second gear, never a high gear. usually the shock load on a fast 1/2 shift does it.

Brian

Contributing Member Steve Demeter's Avatar
    Liked: 953

Check out the pinion and lay shaft bearings as well.

Had a pinion bearing go really bad once and while in the process of replacing it, someone looked at one of the gears and said "What is that gear missing a tooth?'

Thread Information