Liked: 0

Default Larry Kropp dry sump pan question

Hey guys my dry sump failed this weekend at MidO for the second time! I'm wondering if I should move on to a different pan. The pan and scavange pump are beautifully made but the durability is not there. Any suggestions? Oh yeah- I have a RFR.

Thanks!

Nicho

Liked: 23

I had one too. The scavange pump failed, and now it's sitting in a box. Goerge Dean got me a decent wet sump pan, so that is what I am running now.

Regards........Brett

Liked: 6

BRD=Brittsan Racing Development

Call Jesse 503-810-9755

Default This is how she looked when we removed the pan

Images of my current oil pan and scavange pump (notice image that shows the pickup unside down! that is how we found it pulling the pan down

Contributing Member glenn cooper's Avatar
    Liked: 136

Default Strange

The pickup is definitely upside down. Not sure what appears to be a nut on top of the "box" of the pickup is for. AS I recall the stuff kind of slip fit together w/ rings?

Did you buy this setup brand new?

Usually what fails in systems of the make you specified is the scavenge pump itself, in my case it was a "1st generation" scavenge pump driven gear, which shattered partially where it was end driven off a shaft.

Later or "Gen 2" pumps were modded so the driven gear was keyed (much better solution), although I have heard of those failing as well (Brett?).

The pickup box has "serations" cut into the bottom of the wall all the way around to act as a large particle filter, so whoever had your's prior (if used) did something wrong on an install.

If new and it came that way, man, THAT would be a pretty big deal!

If you are staying w/ dry sump, BRD is the ONLY way to go!

What exactly failed?
    Last edited by glenn cooper; 10.10.11 at 11:30 AM.

The first failure the pan was in the car when I purchased.

The pan was sent to Larry Kropp he assembled the pan and sent it back to me.

The nut on top of the box is to secure a magnet within the box.

The "box" pickup worked itself loose from it fixed location, as a resualt flipped upside down and blocked the oil passage tube. My data showed 10 psi so the blockage was 80%, my cockpit lights up like a Christmas tree when I'm low on oil pressure so I shut her down pretty quick!

Assembly was good, the pan just needs more testing and correcting, unfortunately on my expense!

Nicho

Quote Originally Posted by glenn cooper View Post
    The pickup is definitely upside down. Not sure what appears to be a nut on top of the "box" of the pickup is for. AS I recall the stuff kind of slip fit together w/ rings?

Did you buy this setup brand new?

Usually what fails in systems of the make you specified is the scavenge pump itself, in my case it was a "1st generation" scavenge pump driven gear, which shattered partially where it was end driven off a shaft.

Later or "Gen 2" pumps were modded so the driven gear was keyed (much better solution), although I have heard of those failing as well (Brett?).

The pickup box has "serations" cut into the bottom of the wall all the way around to act as a large particle filter, so whoever had your's prior (if used) did something wrong on an install.

If new and it came that way, man, THAT would be a pretty big deal!

If you are staying w/ dry sump, BRD is the ONLY way to go!

What exactly failed?

Contributing Member glenn cooper's Avatar
    Liked: 136

If memory serves correctly, the pick up "box" was flush, or damned near flush, with the pan floor.

Was there a relief machined into the pan floor to accomodate the magnet securing nut sticking out of the bottom of the p/u box?

Kind of "different" that the magnet was not attached to the lowest spot in the box, rather the highest.

Pretty wild that the p/u box came undone, and then blocked the scavenge pump pickup.

Did you end up with all the oil in the crankcase? This sounds like a likely scenario as the engine oil pump basically emptied the dry sump tank as it was not getting filled from the cooler, as the cooler was not getting sent much from the scavenge pump, due to the blockage.

If I'm hearing you correctly, you had 10 psi OP @ 10 or 12k rpm +????

When my scavenge pump broke on a similar system, the engine oil pump drained the dry sump tank, which quickly filled the crankcases with the approx 6 qts of oil.

I felt this on throttle and thought the engine was starting to tighten up, and shut it down. What I probably was feeling was either the engine fighting against a reduced crankcase air volume, or the crank, clutch basket, or ? was whipping through the higher oil level.

Later in the paddock I found the problem.
    The weekend was wasted, but incredibly the engine was deemed perfect after disassembly. I think I had a bunch of old school "splash lubrication" going on in there, AND shut the engine down at just the right moment...

Once again, may I suggest the BRD kit if you are staying w/ a drysump.
    To my knowledge there have been ZERO failures with Jesse's stuff in regard to construction, materials, or workmanship.

Wow your impressing me Glenn mister! I take it you've been doing this for a while.
    -Yes it was flush
    -Yes there was a relief in the floor
    -Yes the motor was filled to the brim with oil
    -Yes 10psi at 11,700 (Damn It!)
    -And Yes I felt the tightening also (Oh **** here we go)
    -and yes you are brilliant!!! I can't believe the similarity

I emailed Jesse Brittsan and he is sending an invoice to me as we speak!

Thanks for the advice! Maybe someday I will be able to run with you HotShots!

Nicho

Quote Originally Posted by glenn cooper View Post
    If memory serves correctly, the pick up "box" was flush, or damned near flush, with the pan floor.

Was there a relief machined into the pan floor to accomodate the magnet securing nut sticking out of the bottom of the p/u box?

Kind of "different" that the magnet was not attached to the lowest spot in the box, rather the highest.

Pretty wild that the p/u box came undone, and then blocked the scavenge pump pickup.

Did you end up with all the oil in the crankcase? This sounds like a likely scenario as the engine oil pump basically emptied the dry sump tank as it was not getting filled from the cooler, as the cooler was not getting sent much from the scavenge pump, due to the blockage.

If I'm hearing you correctly, you had 10 psi OP @ 10 or 12k rpm +????

When my scavenge pump broke on a similar system, the engine oil pump drained the dry sump tank, which quickly filled the crankcases with the approx 6 qts of oil.

I felt this on throttle and thought the engine was starting to tighten up, and shut it down. What I probably was feeling was either the engine fighting against a reduced crankcase air volume, or the crank, clutch basket, or ? was whipping through the higher oil level.

Later in the paddock I found the problem.
    The weekend was wasted, but incredibly the engine was deemed perfect after disassembly. I think I had a bunch of old school "splash lubrication" going on in there, AND shut the engine down at just the right moment...

Once again, may I suggest the BRD kit if you are staying w/ a drysump.
    To my knowledge there have been ZERO failures with Jesse's stuff in regard to construction, materials, or workmanship.

Thread Information