Liked: 1

This F-2000 game is a blast!LMAO I just spent the last hour playing this damn game! I crashed a lot!

Thanks guys!

P.S. The Nascar Heat game CD is available at CompUsa stores (In a Jewel case) for $9.99.

[size="1"][ November 02, 2002, 09:30 AM: Message edited by: Dave Hopple ][/size]

Liked: 0

Glad you are enjoying it Dave.

Just wait till the final is released if you think this is fun,,,

Liked: 1417

Pretty cool, huh Dave? I have an extra copy of the game, if anyone is looking for it. $12 shipped to your door. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Liked: 210

If you've downloaded Donington, there are three secrets to winning. One, drive easy around the two hairpins. Two, DO NOT crash at the chicane. In and 8 lap race, eventually everyone else will.
    Three, gear set is super critical.
    3.60 final

If you don't find the right gears for you, you'll never keep up through the valley. Which is foot down acculeration all the way.

[size="1"][ November 04, 2002, 12:44 AM: Message edited by: rickb99 ][/size]
    CREW for Jeff 89 Reynard or Flag & Comm.

Rick,

Interesting. I've driven/raced the Donnington GP circuit in real life. It is true the two hairpins are slow. The first, Melbourne, is just slippery with the kitty litter inches off the track and significant camber change on the exit. The real line is to hug the inside -- don't late apex or trailbrake. The entrance is downhill and it is all too easy to lock the brakes over the brow. The second, Goddards, is off camber and semi-blind at the entrance and narrows at the exit onto a very crowned section of the Pit Straight.

Most of the action in real life is at turn #1, not the esses which are really a fun challenge. Primary issue at the esses is outbraking yourself in which case you end up on the Club Circuit (sounds like I have experience doesn't it? ).

If it rains, McLeans is nearly impossible as this section of track is inline with a busy airport runway and a huge amount of jet fuel residue is deposited on this section of track.

Toughest for me (other than fading brakes) was trying not to lift over a rise entering McLeans and still stay on the left edge of the road. Second toughest, but biggest thrill is to do Coppice flat (it is a blind uphill entry).

I drove a Vauxhall Supersports when I was there. Pretty much the same for us as a Sports 2000 but with 175hp and locker diffs and rear wings. I think we were about 4-5 seconds slower than the F3 series and 5-6 seconds slower than the very serious F1 "amateurs."

BTW -- I still have my 1996 Autosport Guide. This is a very neat loose leaf notebook with detailed driving instructions/tips for most of the U.K. race tracks. Also includes directions to the tracks, hotels/motels/B&Bs. Fantastic publication

Bob Layman

Bullett,
    Your description is right on with this SIMULATOR track. Elevation changes and blind corners et. al. On the track image corners aren't named but your descriptions fit.
    Are you using this SIM thing?

The problem at the chicane (if I understand this game correctly) is, the NASCAR shell likes cars racing side-by-side. Just can't happen through that chicane and causes problems at the hairpins too. Even single cars within the game shell don't like the narrow track at the chicane. One thing good about this track is, the competition holds reasonable lines and don't weave all over the place like they do on some tracks.

[size="1"][ November 02, 2002, 04:19 PM: Message edited by: rickb99 ][/size]

Rick,

I haven't started the Simm thing but will do it. If the shoulder doesn't get better, Simms may be my only racing.

Even though most of the competitors in Vauxhall Supersports were friendly and sane, holding reasonable lines and not weaving definitely does not describe racing in Europe.

The Donnington GP course definitely is a fun, challenging track but very narrow (except parts of Coppice). Thruxton is a interesting challenge but visually featureless, bumpy and low grip. Snetterton is quite interesting in parts, even if I did crash three times in one weekend and scrap the car. Loved Castle Coombe -- fresh, new paving certainly contributed and it has several challenging corners, but at a minute flat the lap is almost over before you start. Mallory park is quite interesting too, even if it is just two ovals grafted together and a low 40sec lap time.

Well, that is my opinion of U.K. tracks on which I have competed (been around Pau, but not at race speeds). My biggest challenge racing in the U.K. was that I never got to test (once only) and practice and qualifying typically are combined into one 10 minute (not a typo) session. The standing starts generally were no big deal (got to remember that you have cold front tires and warm rears as no weaving is allowed on the installation lap). As an added challenge for us, the starting lineup was different every time (1x1 offset [might as well be single file], 2x2 even, 2x2 offset [the most interesting], 3x3 even [talk about crowded], 3x2x3 offset [the riskiest].

Cheers,
    Bob Layman

Liked: 1

Well I blew up a few engines today in Tonis's car....and drove over Mike Andersen once!

The coolest track so far I've tried, is the A-1 ring. I have the suspension setup so screwed up there it's not even funny!(corner entry understeer and snap spin exit oversteer )

RusRob, thanks, looking forward to your next release.

Doug, when's BHF going to be ready? (don't forget the bumps)

Rick, thanks for the gears.

Dave

[size="1"][ November 02, 2002, 06:28 PM: Message edited by: Dave Hopple ][/size]

Blowing engines:
    That darn grill tape will do it every time. I know it's supposed set a front spoiler angle in F2000. But in the NASCAR version it really is tape over the grill and it has that effect.
    I think on the road courses with low speed sections, you'll "blow engines" with anything more then 60% (maybe 65%) "tape".

A-Ring:
    When you see all those grandstands, you begin to understand how much the Europeans love their road racing!
    Everybody drives different. But, you might want to try these gears at the A-Ring.
    3.10 final

I've been working on the Nurburgring on and off all day. It's a devil. You need massive downforce for high speed corners, lots of torque for the hills and horsepower for the straights. Definitely designed for F1 and LMP cars. Best gears I've come up with are:
    3.40 final
    Need 42% spoiler and 50% tape
    Has anyone come up with something else I can try?

QUESTION FOR YOU GAME MAKERS:
    Assen is a really great course layout. Looks like it was built in a dry lake bed. And it's fun to drive.
    HOWEVER, the competition is WAY too slow. Even in "Pro" setting for competition, you can pass the entire field in half a lap. Is there any way to speed them up?
    The ghost car is much quicker.

[size="1"][ November 04, 2002, 08:11 PM: Message edited by: rickb99 ][/size]

Yes that is true, the new one we are working on has the overheating problem fixed.

The way I understand it is the guys at MGI that designed Heat, had the heat dissipation hardcoded into the game, but we have found if we reduce the engine friction then the just the aero part of the grill tape has an effect. So it then acts completely as a front wing!

But if I am correct,, the F2000 relies mainly on the body downforce and not the wings, so you would really want to run a little wing as possible. I am assuming that is why I see the wingless F2000's

Is that correct?

Liked: 1417

Well, that depends entirely on the track. Some tracks require full wing front and rear, and as much aero downforce as you can get. It all depends on the needs of the circuit.

d

Bullitt,

It's amazing how accurate this simulator thing is. I just ran about 30 laps at the Donington simulation.

I hadn't noticed the little brow in the track as you enter the first hairpin that you talked about above. But it sure is there. And if you crest it too quickly you'll fly! It really upsets the car for keeping to the inside of the turn.

I also changed ratios on first and second gear to get rid of a little torque. Too easy (in the simulator)to over cook the hairpin exits.

[size="1"][ November 04, 2002, 01:03 AM: Message edited by: rickb99 ][/size]

Thread Information