Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lost Respect

Liked: 25

Not saying that Michael wasn't wrong here but wtf did Rubino think Michael would do? They were teammates so they know how the other thinks, they don't like each other and it's for a point position.
    Dave

Contributing Member Rick Kirchner's Avatar
    Liked: 1494

Anath - ALL crashes are serious until both guys climb out. Jovy Marcelo's wasn't that bad, nor Rich Vogler's, nor the Billy Vukovich's, and for that matter Dale Earnhardt's did't look that bad either.

Consider though, getting dropped on your head on top of the wall, like Jeff Krosnoff or Greg Moore. Had there been an accident, I bet it would have looked a lot like Krosnoff's.

As variations of the old saying goes, racing, mountain climbing, big game hunting, boxing, hell throw in skydiving - are sports not games, because the penalty for carelessness is death.

You can run around thumbing your nose at the Reaper, just don't step on his robe if you don't have to.

Liked: 0

Default Power slide...

Most NASCAR Cup debacles have to do with slipping and sliding up the banks... Hmm. When Schumi did his latest on-camera chop, it was during a sustained Zero-G acceleration run on a GD straightaway. If nothing else, MS is acutely aware of his surroundings and situation. They were "fighting" for tenth place! It was personal. Rubens had conceded wins to the GDR, and that is now over. Did anyone see the pre-race interview WRT team orders? MS: BENCH the SOB. Nothing short of brain surgery will modify his behavior.

Amherst, New York but i left my heart in San Francisco
    Liked: 292

Default Where did this all this un-sportmanlike driving start?

I recall Bandini shunting Hill in Mexico so that team-mate Surtees could win the World Championship in 1965

Liked: 24

OOPS sorry did not realize you can know exactly how a crash will happen (you know knowledge of energy dissipation and how quick object of mass will decelerate) and more importantly how the outcome will be period with so many variables,

... you are quiet smart, would have been nice if you would have been around for those poor corner workers in F1... who got killed by flying debris.

The FIA needs to hire you soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Ananth K View Post
    An intentional attempt to force him into the wall? That's a pretty strong statement there chief....it definitely was an attempt to block him, but to force him into the wall??

And attributing all of his wins and world championships to a modus operandi largely consisting of blocking other drivers is LAME at best.

Right.....all of the 300+ km/h F1 crashes in the past 5 years have killed and crippled SO many.....
    Last edited by DB4 Tim; 08.04.10 at 8:51 AM.

Liked: 68

Quote Originally Posted by F.Y.P.E. View Post
    MS: BENCH the SOB. Nothing short of brain surgery will modify his behavior.
    Oh, c'mon, now. It's not like he went for an after-hours track walk or anything......
    Marshall Mauney

Milwaukee Region

Quote Originally Posted by DB4 Tim View Post
    The FIA needs to hire you soon.
    I'm working on it, Tim, working on it....

Contributing Member ric baribeault's Avatar
    Liked: 258

we don't know what will happen in a crash. that's why we shouldn't do things that have a higher probability of causing them. why is that hard to understand?

Contributing Member
    Liked: 86

You could apply that principle to just about any pass attempt made in any class on any race track.
    Matt King
    FV19 Citation XTC-41
    CenDiv-Milwaukee
    KEEP THE KINK!

Contributing Member
    Liked: 290

You guys are looking at this form the perspective of easy going club racers who have empathy for their fellow competitors.

Schumacher is paid big money to win. He has no comprehension that there is a driver in the car that is trying to pass. He has absolutely no concern about that driver's well being. While other drivers at this level might have similar skills, his total lack of empathy is what put him a cut above the rest.

This is the way he is wired. He considers it perfectly normal and would never consider it necessary to change his way of thinking. Being paid to be this way only reinforces his choices.

This is not a popularity contest, it is a motor race.

Brian

ApexSpeed Photographer Dennis Valet's Avatar
    Liked: 60

Quote Originally Posted by Hardingfv32 View Post
    You guys are looking at this form the perspective of easy going club racers who have empathy for their fellow competitors.

Schumacher is paid big money to win. He has no comprehension that there is a driver in the car that is trying to pass. He has absolutely no concern about that driver's well being. While other drivers at this level might have similar skills, his total lack of empathy is what put him a cut above the rest.

This is the way he is wired. He considers it perfectly normal and would never consider it necessary to change his way of thinking. Being paid to be this way only reinforces his choices.

Brian

That's like saying that every truly successful football player should be out there looking to paralyze each and every opponent every time they step on the field.

There are rules in place to protect the safety of the individuals engaging in the sport, they should be respected.

Contributing Member Rick Kirchner's Avatar
    Liked: 1494

If you recall a couple of years back a guy was charged with either assault or manslaughter (can't remember the final consequences) as a result of intentionally punting someone at a oval track in the north east.

Contributing Member
    Liked: 290

Schumacher is not out to hurt anyone, but he will not hesitate to take an action which is dangerous for another driver. The safety of another competitor is not going to help him win.

There are rules in F1, but Schumacher is always probing for the current limits of his actions. He will go as far as the officials and other drivers let him. He is not bound by a vague definition of sportsmanship. Everyone has a deferent definition of sportsmanship. No place for that in Schumacher's precise operating mind.

Brian

Liked: 9

Default Just to understand you............

Schumacher is not out to hurt anyone, but he will not hesitate to take an action which is dangerous for another driver. The safety of another competitor is not going to help him win.

There are rules in F1, but Schumacher is always probing for the current limits of his actions. He will go as far as the officials and other drivers let him. He is not bound by a vague definition of sportsmanship. Everyone has a deferent definition of sportsmanship. No place for that in Schumacher's precise operating mind.
    So, you not only understand MS, but condone his action, is that it? We know what he's thinking, we just think it's wrong at any level.
    Ted/FM # 13
    Shoe String Racing
    On a Wing & a Prayer

Banned
    Liked: 1116

IMO there is big difference between being called the "greatest" and being the most "accomplished"...He doesn't even have half the points of Nico. Heck, Hiro could have won half of those 90 with those cars, those engineers and those team orders.

If he wins a race this year that the big 3 finish I'll believe he is one of the best, until then...

A calculated high percentage pass , NO PROBLEM, a risky pass with run off no problem... he left out the one variable at that area of the track for that type of pass...and yes all areas of the track of their issues....BUT A WALL and the lack of conditions knowledge….(good drivers or great, they did not know what was there)..give all the tiny centimeters you want and leave one rock… clump of grass…. dislodged piece of concrete or difference in height of two surfaces…. and you have one hell of a wreck….

now some will be saying he walked that part of the track and knew what was there...so they can call it a high percentage pass....why does the amount of money one is paid have anything to do with being smart on track!

So if you really pay THE big bucks you can have someone endanger their life and other competitors to make the pass...seems a bit flawed way to win.

First picture upper left MS tires still turning towards RB
    next shot to the right upper
    and then lower left and then ...well was that just MS racing for money

Quote Originally Posted by Hardingfv32 View Post

Brian
    Last edited by DB4 Tim; 08.05.10 at 7:32 AM.

Contributing Member glenn cooper's Avatar
    Liked: 136

Default What I find even crazier than the whole incident

is the fact that there are basically 2 camps here on AS:
    Those that are aghast at his actions, not just this latest one mind you, but are keenly aware of ALL the BS MS behaviors over the years.
    Moves that have somehow actually enabled him to win Drivers Championships (!) as well.
    We are also incredibly dumbfounded by the lack of sanctions from the sanctioning bodies over the years for blatant douche like behavior.

Then there is a faction, thankfully much smaller, of folks that actually seem to be impressed with his behavior and moves.
    I liken it to a Latin / Machismo type of behavior.
    To these people it's all balls to the walls, he's racing for mega $, blah blah blah, they do the same thing in NASCAR, you guys are a bunch of club racers, ya just don't get it...
    This camp can't seem to grasp that it's a F'n miracle that no one was killed in the latest incident. Look at the still pics in the post above. We are talking millimeters here.
    This group is so into hero worship that I wouldn't put it past any one of 'em to have a poster of MS on the wall that they bow down to 3 x's a day, facing the Fatherland.
    FANatical worship indeed.

Liked: 19

Schumacher IS king

You sissy's need to start watching tennis if you can't handle watching F1. Go out to the highway if you want uncompetitive passing...

strap on your HANS - sinch down your 6 point harness - arm the extinguisher... wimps.... I'd take a ride with the Schu any day - with a lapbelt and suicide knob and some nails to throw at you when we fly by.

Schumacher is the greatest of all time.... There is not a single driver on that grid who can hold his helmet without wetting thier pants. What he did was no different than any top flight driver over the last 20 years....... Oh, except he's got 7 WC's in his pocket... And he would have had more if Hill and that pitiful dweeb JV hadn't driven into him....

Excuse me - I need to go bow down to my Schumacher flag now. Good grief it's too long before I get to see him on TV again....

Liked: 157

For those of you not following the Honda Fit in CF discussion, they taught Schumacher to drive like that in law school.

Contributing Member
    Liked: 86

Quote Originally Posted by Matt M. View Post
    You sissy's need to start watching tennis if you can't handle watching F1.
    It's getting pretty rough in pro tennis these days too!
    Matt King
    FV19 Citation XTC-41
    CenDiv-Milwaukee
    KEEP THE KINK!

Amherst, New York but i left my heart in San Francisco
    Liked: 292

Default laughing....

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Valet View Post
    For those of you not following the Honda Fit in CF discussion, they taught Schumacher to drive like that in law school.
    now that was funny...really

i hope someone pulls the plug on this thread though

Liked: 212

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Valet View Post

tom,

good one funy stuff

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Carter View Post
    You should hear some of the stories about Jordan playing his kids in the driveway or how competitive he was in practice.

Respect has nothing to do with it. It's all about winning.
    Sure, but the chance of Jordan killing one of his kids in the driveway was, to say the least, pretty minimal. And even on the floor of the United Center, no matter how intense it got, the most damage Jordan was likely to do to a spectator was spill his soda and popcorn.

The outcome of MS's latest insanity could have been much, much worse.

But the point is well-taken. There's no question that it was that same ruthlessness that helped propel MS to 7 championships. Some of Schumey's competitors simply weren't willing to do the things he would do to win. He knew it. They knew it. And it made a difference.

It's also why his 7 championships don't impress me much. And, yes, I know Schumey doesn't care what I think!

Tom

Liked: 8

Default The Problem

Quote Originally Posted by problemchild View Post
    I think that Mikey is getting too much credit for this dirty move. I think he just made a mistake. He thought he had the inside covered and was 2/100ths (or whatever split second) late in seeing Ruebens get there.

Mikey, in his prime, would have successfully blocked the inside, and just knocked him off the outside. It is just not his pace-setting skills that have deteriated.

That is exactly the problem. Some less-than-intelligent race driver wanna be will see this and think that is is OK to punt another guy off the track just because he might be "in my way"...

The feeble-minded will always see this as an excuse for their own poor behaviour.
    I've seen it before.

Tom Owen

Classifieds Super License Raceworks's Avatar
    Liked: 215

Schumacher IS king

You sissy's need to start watching tennis if you can't handle watching F1. Go out to the highway if you want uncompetitive passing...

strap on your HANS - sinch down your 6 point harness - arm the extinguisher... wimps.... I'd take a ride with the Schu any day - with a lapbelt and suicide knob and some nails to throw at you when we fly by.

Schumacher is the greatest of all time.... There is not a single driver on that grid who can hold his helmet without wetting thier pants. What he did was no different than any top flight driver over the last 20 years....... Oh, except he's got 7 WC's in his pocket... And he would have had more if Hill and that pitiful dweeb JV hadn't driven into him....

Excuse me - I need to go bow down to my Schumacher flag now. Good grief it's too long before I get to see him on TV again....
    So if I you come up to pass me and I send you into the pit divider at 100+ mph, you'll just say "shucks, that's just racin" (well, assuming you aren't scissored in half, of course)?

Good to know.
    Sam Lockwood
    Raceworks, Inc
    www.lockraceworks.com

Liked: 4

He thought he had the inside covered and was 2/100ths (or whatever split second) late in seeing Ruebens get there.
    Look at those pics. Schumi is looking in the mirrors, and know's exactly what he's doing. The only credit I'll give him is that he know's Rubens is there. When this same thing happens in club racing, it's because the bone head in front has forgotten that he has mirrors.
    #45 FE - Personal twitter: @AOERacing
    RaceTimer+ and business twitter:@Epipiphero

Tough words...sissy and all...a completely intellectual way of having a discussion....

O-and on the seven tiles...yes he did .....controlling the tires with Bridgstone...hum...and how important was that....

Many will ....and have said ...a very uneven playing field...that was good for Ferrari credits to all of them...would he have seven if it was level.....

Schumacher IS king

Last edited by DB4 Tim; 08.05.10 at 12:50 PM.

Default Broad Concept+Better Idea

1] Get that Brian "blocking" guy from IRL to officiate in Formula 1. We might be treated to a reenactment of the 6-car United States Grand Prix EVERY race weekend. Sole survivors of the black flag: 2 ea Fazzaz, 2 ea German Buicks, 2 ea assorted Virgins.

2] Keep the NASCAR crowd in check? Easy: Put the spotters in the passenger seat.

"This is an official attempt to kill this thread."

fype!

& F.Y. M.S.!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information