Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Liked: 3

Default Hooiser FST Rounds 7 & 8 at Grattan

Registration is open for Grattan. We have our own Race Group (4) provided we can meet the minimum entry (12). We need to achieve the min. car count by 8/1 so enter early and often.

HERE:http://wmr-scca.motorsportreg.com/

Dave
    Last edited by Bill Bonow; 07.05.10 at 1:50 PM.

Liked: 190

I'm in.....All signed up. Lets get the required 12 right away, so sign up post haste.
    Bill Bonow
    "Wait, which one is the gas pedal again?"

Liked: 0

Done and done!

Hope everybody had a great holiday weekend!

Liked: 58

Default I'm in!

I just entered. We have 4 registered so far.

Doug FST 5

I would register in spirit if that helped the cause.

Just got done registering. Maybe the turnout will be even larger than at Nelson Ledges! I am anxious to try out another track I have never been on.

Randy S.

Liked: 2

I'm In.Dave B.

Default All signed up.

Registered # 26.
    Carl Middelegge
    2007 Evolution MK 1.3 FST

Liked: 10

Registered! That makes 8....

Rob Clark

Liked: 76

I'm registered.
    Butch
    butch deer

Alright people it's time to get with the program and get registered. We need 12 cars by 8/1.

Grattan is in my opinon the most challenging track in the area so come out and test yourself against the best cars and drivers in the U.S. Formula First Series presented by Hoosier Tire.

Dave

Default Need 3 more FST to Register!!!

So we are holding at 9 Entries and need 12 by the 1st of August to get our own race. After the fun and games on the weekend at RA I'm all in favour of that.

Entered so far

Doug Seim
    Bill Bonow
    Butch Deer
    Jason Steeb
    Randy Shinn
    Carl Middelegge
    Dave Blevins
    Rob Clark
    Dave Dawson

So who else is coming?

I think Reece Everard and Greg Schings should both be there so we need one more....

Bob Stack come in....
    Jim Nash.....
    Bill who's this months Star in a Reasonably priced FST car....

Lets go people...
    Rob

Contributing Member steve everard's Avatar
    Liked: 11

Default Jacer on grid

And then there was 10............sorry for late reply ....been on vacation.

Steve

Default And then there were 12

But don't stop now. We have plenty of room for more.

So far:
    Jim Nash
    Doug Seim
    Reece Everard
    Bill Bonow
    Butch Deer
    George Podgorski
    Jason Steeb
    Randy Shinn
    Carl Middelegge
    Robert Clark
    Greg Shings
    Dave Dawson

At this point FST entries make up 43% of the total number entered for the weekend.
    Last edited by dd46637; 08.05.10 at 6:53 PM. Reason: And -1

Boy I wish I could join you guys, but the family vacation starting Monday the 16th is a big deal and if I screwed that up at all . . . . .

HAve fun! I'll be thinking about you!
    Bob Stack, Hartland, WI
    CenDiv - Milwaukee region

Default extra race ?

Since the rest of the event is low on numbers would the track let us run an additional FST race on Saturday ? assuming we are all up for it for a few bucks extra ????

Steve

Default Three Days to Grattan

Rounds 7 & 8 are this weekend at Grattan. Looks to be another well attended Hoosier FST weekend (comparatively speaking) and Grattan always brings competitive racing.

Here is the line up for this weekends races:

# 5 Doug Seim - Mysterian M5.1 - AutoWerks/P&NP - Okeana, OH
    # 6 Reese Everard - Jacer V2K2 - Rochester, MI
    # 11 Aaron Deer – Campbell Evolution – RaceCarSupply.com – Elgin, IL
    # 16 George Podgorski - RGU BRD - Glastonbury, CT
    # 19 Jason Steeb - Lynks FST - Novi, MI
    # 21 Randy Shinn - Mysterian M2 - Gibsonburg, OH
    # 26 Carl Middelegge - Campbell Evolution - TTS/Orbitalum - Lake Forest, IL
    # 37 Robert Clark – Campbell Evolution – Rochester, MI
    # 41 Greg Schings - Campbell Evolution - Georgetown, KY
    # 69 Bill Bonow - Campbell Evolution - Plainfield, IL
    # 88 Dave Dawson - Campbell Evolution - South Bend, IN

Championship points are close between the first three positions. The title for 2010 is still up in the air and most likely will not be decided until the final race at Mid-Ohio.

Hope to see you all this weekend at Grattan.
    Bill Bonow

Default Express Tech

Just a reminder.

Print a copy of the tech sheet and take your helmet and log book to registration and avoid the line at the tech shed.

There are some limitations so read the supps. for exclusions.

Dave

Default New schedule

I just received this thru email...

"As you probably know already, the entry list for this race is very low. We certainly appreciate all of you who have entered and thank you for your support. Every regional race in GLDiv has been poorly attended this summer and we, as a division, will have to see what we can do about that for 2011.

As for this particular race, because of the low car count, we have decided to make a couple of changes to the race groups. While I know that may create some anxiety, we are offsetting those changes by adding more track time. We expect each of you to have an extra 20+ minutes of track time this weekend.

So here are the changes: We will now have four race groups. Group 1 has had Group 5 added to it. Group 2 has had Group 6 added to it. Groups 3 and 4 are unchanged. With only four race groups, we decided to add a 15 minute practice session Saturday morning and extend the Sunday morning qualifying race from seven to ten laps. I am a racer myself (HP Sprite) and I approved these changes. I would not have done so if there were any GT1's, STO's or T1's in Group 1 or any FA's or CSR's in Group 6. I am very comfortable with the classes that make up the race groups as they stand now. In addition, these changes have already been approved by the Chief Steward and the SOM. A revised schedule and race group list has been posted on the WMR website. Go to this link so you can view and download it. If you have trouble viewing or downloading this document, email me and I will be happy to send you the file.

All that being said, please let me know ASAP if you have any concerns (517.889.1117). WMR tries VERY hard to make sure our customers (the drivers and workers) are treated very well. That's why we made sure we added track time to the schedule once we decided to compress the race groups. All feedback, positive or negative, is data we can learn from so our products (races) are better for our customers.

Thank you for your time and we'll see you this weekend.

Dayle Frame (WMR Asst RE and Comp Director) "

Default latest groupings

They now have FV running with us in Group 2

Default WMR is the best

Just to expand on Doug's post.....

Only 50-some cars registered for the event. As stated, WMR has never cancelled an event, so they have reset the race groups from 6 to 4 and expanded track time. They had originally put FST in our own race group, but have changed it to include FV.

It is hard to think that this is the ONLY SCCA Regional being held at Grattan this year and the entry numbers are this low. I applaude WMR for being the troopers that they are and not pulling the plug. They always host a great event and Grattan is my favorite track, bar none.

I'm leaving for Grattan today and will try very hard to enjoy and remembe this weekend......... as it could be the last time a Regional event is hosted there for a while. I certainly do not blame WMR for this situation.
    Bill Bonow

Default Sat Qual.

Well the official grid has been posted.

1) Doug Seim 1:26.138
    2) Carl Middelegge 1:26.234
    3) Jason Steeb 1:26.804
    4) Robert Clark 1:27.148
    5) Greg Schings 1:27.150
    6) Dave Dawson 1:28.425
    7) Bill Bonow 1:28.515
    8) Reese Everhard 1:28.852
    9) Aaron Deer 1:29.305
    10) Randy Shinn 1:45.463

Should be a good race, hopefully the rain holds off. I will post results when the race is over.
    Carl Middelegge
    2007 Evolution MK 1.3 FST

Default Results

Hi guys...

Crazy weekend! Tons of fun though. Bummer not to see Jim Nash or LawyerBob this weekend. I hope you guys can make it to Mid-O. Heck, I hope I can make it to Mid-O!

Carl posted the grid, so here is the Saturday result (not to toot my horn or anything)...

Saturday's result:
    1 - Jason Steeb - 1:26.287
    2 - Carl Middelegge - 1:26.758
    3 - Doug Seim - 1:26.287
    4 - Bill Bonow - 1:28.956
    5 - Dave Dawson - 1:27.058
    6 - Aaron Deer - 1:30.127
    7 - Randy Shinn - 1:43.458
    8 - Reece Everard - 1:28.976
    9 - Greg Schings - 1:28.340
    10 - Robert Clark - 1:27.709

Sunday Results...sorry I don't have the whole thing, so I'm going off of memory
    1 - Doug Seim
    2 - Carl Middelagge
    3 - Greg Schings
    4 - Robert Clark

I don't remember the rest. I think it went, Bill Bonow, Dave Dawson, and then Aaron Deer. Randy pulled in with some trouble, Reece lost his clutch, and I didn't take the green flag.

Hope I can make it Mid-O! A FST race AND an F2000 race!?! Awesome!
    Last edited by jsteeb; 08.15.10 at 9:03 PM.

I can't just let the last post hang without more detail.

Saturady was an awesome day for me. Anybody who thinks a converted FV can't run with a new Evo is wrong. My 30 year old Lynx ran with the big boys just fine this weekend (and Nelson too for that matter). So...get off the fence, get that conversion going!

Saturday's race was 15 laps of passing, bump drafting, slide jobs, late braking, and best of all - no fenders! It was a great race. I'll post some video if I can figure out how.

Sunday was nuts...
    There was a bit of a shuffle in the running order due to the weekend format. Despite unanimous consent within the group, the region still had Sunday's qualifying setup as a "qualifying" race...with the grid for the actual race being set by a finishing position of the morning race. Got it?

Anyway...long story short...with 2 laps to go, myself, Doug, and Robert went into T2, and none of us made it out. Doug's beam was trashed, my steering and trans were waxed, and Robert dropped all the way back. Give a nod to Reece who made it through the carnage, and held off Carl to win the pole for the actual race! Way to go dude!

The race was fun to watch. I had a lot less exciting view from the spectator thing on the garage. Reece got jumped a bit at the start, and I think he was 3rd or 4th coming out of T1. Carl had a great start, and lead the first lap. Reece fought his way back to 2nd, and might have snagged the lead from Carl once or twice. I can't remember. I do remember thingking he really had some thing for Carl until his clutch stopped working.

By the way...at the end of lap 1, Doug had gone from last to 5th (I think).

Carl, Robert, Greg, and Bill had gapped eachother, but Doug was on the move! I don't know when or how, but Doug passed everybody, and then pulled out a comfortable lead....eventually winning the race. Big thumbs up to him and his crew for getting the car back together JUST in time.

Alright...that's it. For the rest of the details we'll have to wait for the official race report. Thanks again to everybody! Great times!

It was an awesome weekend. Might be the most fun I have ever had in a race car. You readers out there without a FST...you have got to try this class! It's top notch racing!
    Last edited by jsteeb; 08.15.10 at 10:03 PM.

Default Incredible day

Thanks without ceasing to the RGU Racing crew of Robert, Randy, Brodie and Matt plus our one day extended crew of Bill, Dave, Carl and Jason. An absolute ton of work to get accomplished in three hours. Bill and Dave hung with us until they had to dress for the race. Robert and Matt resolved a two inch toe problem by eye as I fired the motor to go to grid and gave me a car that could set fast lap. We had lots of problems to resolve and mostly got it right. The shock mount setup we rigged didn't look stout to us and they did fail starting on lap ten. Try goin over the jump three times without front shocks sometime. It really catches your attention!

Doug FST 5

Contributing Member
    Liked: 5

Quote Originally Posted by jsteeb View Post

So says the man that has never won a FST or a FV race.
    Jason,

You'll never have to use that disclaimer again. Congrats!

Default Jacer on pole......

Thanks to everyone for a milestone weekend for Reece and I. We gained so much experience from you all for which we are truely thankful. Most impressive performance of the weekend I thought was from Doug Seims crew (and friends) who not only managed to rebuild the car between the morning and afternoon race but to also got the win and fast lap by a long way (who needs shocks) Dougs past must be an impressive one to drive the car so well from back to front like that (no shocks)...

Reece (carefull on the spelling Bill) really showed some potential by claiming victory in Sunday mornings qualifying race earning him his first pole position start for the afternoon race. At 17 years old he showed great composure especially with such an experienced field behind him. He lost the lead into turn 1 and then dropped to 3rd but managed to recompose and win back the second spot before mechanical clutch failure (adjuster nut came off) put him out of the race. (I claim full responsibility).

Thanks again to SR for all the track support they give us during the weekend and the entire formula first group for the a most enjoyable weekend.
    Already preparing for Mid Ohio where Reece will be under extra pressure to perform in front of visitors from England.

Thanks
    Steve

Default Points are updated

Steve,

Sorry about the spelling, I'll be sure to use a "c" next time.

Got all the weekend results over to Doug Dale last night who promtly posted the updated points to include Grattan. Doug Seim has a 12 point lead over Carl Middelegge who moved up to 2nd in points while I lost a spot. Check them out here:

http://www.formula-first.org/html/2009_points.html

Great weekend, close (sometimes too close) racing and I think everyone had fun. It was a touch hot/humid but it really didn't matter.

It is interesting to note that we have 20 competitors scoring points in the series so far this year, our largest group to date (in 8 continuous years). I think that number could climb to 22 after Mid-Ohio.

It was great to see Reece on pole for Sunday, just as it was great to see Doug Seim coming up in my mirrors 3 laps into the Sunday race.

My front tires finally bought the farm after 22 heat cycles, I guess I'll have to change them before Mid-Ohio.
    Bill Bonow

Liked: 151

Default Documentation

Just to whet your curiosity, practically everything that went on is one someone's video. I'm sure links will be going up at a great pace considering this is a time consuming process. I saw little bits here and there and its pretty cool stuff.

Much thanks to all who helped us.

We'll never have another qualifying race!!

Default Saturday Fast Lap Tie

A First for our series: On Saturday during the race, Jason Steeb and Doug Seim turned exactly the same fast lap time at 1:26.287. Being that we had a tie for fast lap, both Jason and Doug were awarded 1 bonus point each.

Now that is close racing!
    Bill Bonow

Default close qualify race too.......

The margin of victory for the qualifier race was 0.003 secs, has to be the closest yet .....

Steve

Default Short vid from Sunday Qualifyer

Not much here and it stops before the race got "exciting" for us but here's the opening laps of the Sunday qualifying race.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uUTaDSob-No

Matt set up the camera. I like how you can see the traffic behind in the mirror.

Doug FST 5
    Last edited by Doug FST 5; 08.16.10 at 7:44 PM.

Congrats on the race win Jason!

That video is still pretty exciting Doug!

Default Frustrating Weekend

Well first of congratulations to Doug and his team, Sunday's result was just awesome, getting the car repaired, and getting it to last the race while being as fast as it was in the opening laps.....

Saturday for me was just a bummer, dropping out while leading with a broken gearbox nose cone. It was actually the casting that broke, residual damage from the nudge Bill gave me at RA.

Sunday's race was better, car was going well, and had a good dice with Carl until I spun.

Sunday mornings qualfying race was a lot of fun right up until Jason and I got together in Turn 2. I never like to have racing incidents like that, and certainly not one that results in one car out and another requiring a ton of work to get it on the track. I do have some video from Saturday and Sunday's race (which I will post), but ironically I forgot to put the SD card in the camera prior to the start of this event - in fact sitting on the grid Jeremy told me not to do anything interesting as the camera wasn't going....oops!

I have watched Carl's video however and its pretty clear that at the apex of the corner my car slid into Jason's preciptating the accident - we were both pushing hard, and Jason held me to a tight line leaving me with just enough room but not enough for something to go wrong. From my perspective I was alongside him as we turned in and expected he would either yield or give me room. Jason and I talked about it afterwards and we agree it was an unfortunate racing incident and hindsight is wonderful.

However I did object a little to the comments that it was 'way too agressive for a qualfying race' that came from other competitors (in the heat of the moment). If you watch back Doug's video you will see passes being made at Turn 2 throughout the opening laps of the race, by several drivers at the front, almost identical to the move that Jason and I made (without the crash of course....)

I am also not necessarily in agreement that a Sunday qualfying/race is a bad idea. I know it doesn't work well with the double regional format or the current FST points structure. But I come to race cars, not to qualify them - now there is no doubt that there is skill/art in qualfying and its an important part of racing....but in Formula First there not a lot lost in being 1st or 6th (at the start!)

I would love to have more racing...which comes with the attached risk of incident, but racing is what its all about, and qualfying race or not I want to win, so I will always drive hard, but hopefully within the limits unlike Sunday morning.

I will get video's posted of the clean action as soon as possible.

Bill Bonow

Default I'm with you on this!

Quote Originally Posted by teamclark View Post
    I am also not necessarily in agreement that a Sunday qualfying/race is a bad idea. I know it doesn't work well with the double regional format or the current FST points structure. But I come to race cars, not to qualify them - now there is no doubt that there is skill/art in qualfying and its an important part of racing....but in Formula First there not a lot lost in being 1st or 6th (at the start!)
    Rob - I'm right with you on this. Robert told me years ago in FV -just get in the top 6 in qualifying. In a typical race you can get it all done from there.

The results are up on mylaps. In case anybody is wondering - it looks like front shocks are worth 2.3 seconds a lap.

Doug FST 5

Liked: 615

Default FST rounds 7&8

I thoroughly enjoyed watching you guys race, both days. Lots of close, minimal contact racing (accidents do happen).
    Reminds me of my early racing days in Formula Ford.
    Great stuff! (no puns)
    Keith
    Averill Racing Stuff, Inc.
    www.racing-stuff.com
    248-585-9139

Liked: 151

Default Why no qual race

Rob,
    Here are the reasons we don’t want a qualifying race.
    1. We don’t have a round seven and eight that are precisely equal for all competitors
    2. We can’t award a pole position point. Qualifying is a great art and you can’t do it while fighting for a position.
    3. Competitors need an opportunity to improve their cars. One past FST Champion would use the qualification session to change shock settings etc. If you are always racing this can never happen
    It’s just happenstance but in every race weekend I’ve ever witnessed at Grattan for our series at least one, and often two cars, needed to start at the back of the grid needlessly.
    The good news is the WM officials see the point and we just need to get in touch with them in February instead of July. I was very thankful the event went on, and it was very well run and Grattan is quite a friendly place. This is especially true in comparison to the NASCAR tracks which have their own track Nazis that make your life miserable and find ways limit green flag laps.

See you at Mid Ohio!

Classifieds Super License Diamond Level Motorsports's Avatar
    Liked: 94

Default Grattan

Wow...........that track is bumpy.

Can't imagine why you would need shocks.
    Scott

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information