Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Liked: 101

Default Current FA power

Dyno's vary from builder to builder.......having said that, most top level FA engines will be 250+/-10 hp. and 145 +/-5 ft/lb torque at the crank. Rebuild @ 800-1000 miles @ 8-12 K. ( my opinion/experience )

make your own conclusions about a Honda's competitiveness, but to make 270/180 at the wheel would require over 300 @ crank, for 100 hours......not likely. Don't forget the SIR/ Compression limit restrictions for engines over 1615cc.

When I estimated the actual costs to convert my RT41 to Honda power, i couldn't justify it even with RACER math.

Flame on,
    Bill

Liked: 1

Default FA costs

Engine costs are are around $8/mile with a Toyota.

Tire costs vary a lot, depending on whether you're using radials. If you are using radials, and using a new set for every National, then tire costs are around $12-13/mile. If you're using bias-ply tires, then it's around $7-8/mile.

Gearbox costs (change gears, CWP, general maintenance) add $2-3/mile.

Classifieds Super License Charles Warner's Avatar
    Liked: 421

Starting a tempete de merde here . . . . .

I realize there are those who want a cheaper engine. But, IMHO, this dumbs down the class as conceived. Yes you can get a lot of horsepower reliably out of a basically stock engine . . . . and you can go with sequential shift . . . yadda yadda. But, you have removed a lot of the skill required to effectively and efficiency drive/race these cars. Taking away the possibilities for missed shifts or shifts into 1st gear, or having to manage your rev band or take care of your engine dumbs down the class. Go drive a sim.

Thank goodness for vintage.

Luddites of the world . . . UNITE!
    Charlie Warner
    fatto gatto racing

'Cause there's bugger-all down here on earth!

Contributing Member
    Liked: 47

Quote Originally Posted by jlipper View Post
    I would like to comment on the one post above....the conversations I had regarding this subject were not about squeezing more HP out of the engine. If that is the case, it probably won't happen - SCCA will never allow the Toyota engine to become obsolete overnight.
    Now of course that is not dry-sumped , sealed, etc, etc.....but for $5,000 you have an engine that would make 245hp and last for over 150,000 miles in street configuration!
    That sounds to me like obsolescence.

Liked: 23

Default Honda- Ralt conversion

Myself, and a few other guys converted an RT-5 to Honda power, albeit a B-16a(1599 ci) in 2000, 2001. We ran it as a CSR for a while with less than spectacular results. There is also a swift DB-4 with Honda power in Florida, but I shouldn't mention who owns it here. I can contact the engine builder, I think he still has the ability to provide an adapter plate but am not sure. The engine made an honest 235 to 240 hp.

Anyone seriously intereted in this can contact me, but I would say that it's not really worth the time and effort.

Brett

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information