Liked: 4

Default Splitter Removal

Does anyone have tips for removing the countersunk head bolts that hold the splitter on after they've been munged by hitting too many kerbs? I managed to get one off w/ the dremmel and a screwdriver, but thought I'd ask here for any other tips in case anyone has better ideas... Thanks!
    #45 FE - Personal twitter: @AOERacing
    RaceTimer+ and business twitter:@Epipiphero

Liked: 0

Hi,"
    Those screws are a drag to remove. Here are a couple tips:
    1) If you can still see a little of the hex, "peck" the hex with a 5/16" drill bit (turning in a drill). Sometimes this will clean up the hex enough to use an allen key to remove the screw.
    2) Using a 1/16" thick "death wheel" (cut-off wheel). cut a slot in the bolt head and use a flat blade screw driver (similar to, if not the same as your dremel method).
    3) If all else fails, grind off the head and after the splitter is removed, turn out the "stud" with a vise grip pliers.
    4) On the new part, be sure the holes are well counter-sunk (using a 90 degree countersink).
    5) When installing the new screws, be sure to use anti-sieze on them. This will make your next removal project much easier.

Hope this helps,
    Barry

Liked: 0

Pick up one of these screw extractors. They come with several size drills and extractor bits, works great. The following links are from Sears, any hardware store will have something similar.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...+extractor+set

Liked: 4

Thanks for the tips! I don't know why I didn't think of the air powered cutoff wheel 1st, it worked a lot better than the dremmel. One more tip for anyone in a similar situation: for the 4 screws that have nuts on the back side, some of mine were munged into the aluminum well enough to hold the screw while backing off the nut.
    #45 FE - Personal twitter: @AOERacing
    RaceTimer+ and business twitter:@Epipiphero

Liked: 111

Chris, I just recently fought those pieces off as well. Not particularly nice. I think these will become a regular maintenance item for me so I don't have to fight it as fiercely in the future.

jim

Thread Information