Liked: 1417

Default American Honda, HPD Announce 2009 SCCA Runoffs Program

American Honda, HPD Announce 2009 SCCA Runoffs Program

TORRANCE, Calif. (August 20, 2009) –
    Following the launch of the Honda Racing Line program
    for the grassroots racing market, American Honda and Honda Performance Development have
    released details of their support program for Honda and Acura competitors at the 2009 Sports
    Car Club of America National Championship Runoffs, Sept. 21-27 at Road America in Elkhart
    Lake, Wisconsin.

“We are pleased to have the opportunity to support SCCA racers,” said Erik Berkman, President
    of Honda Performance Development, Inc. “Through the Honda Racing Line and its programs, we
    want to encourage our competitors to fulfill their racing dreams. In providing an incentive
    program for Honda or Acura racers competing in the SCCA Runoffs, we can recognize and
    celebrate their challenging spirit and racing passion.”

To be eligible for support, all Honda competitors must be enrolled in the Honda Racing Line
    program and display the required “Honda Racing/HPD” or “Acura Motorsports” decals provided
    by the SCCA at Road America. Registration for the Honda Racing Line will be offered on-site at
    Road America in the Honda Racing paddock area, located in the West Paddock.

Administered by the SCCA on behalf of HPD and American Honda, these incentives will be
    available following the completion of the Runoffs:
    • $500 for starting the National Championship Runoffs
    • $500 for winning a Divisional Championship
    • $1500 for winning a National Championship, with additional awards of $1000 and $500 for 2nd- and 3rd-place finishes, respectively.
    Honda/Acura competitors will be reimbursed at the conclusion of the event for the following costs:
    • $100 credit for reserved paddock parking space (must be reserved directly through Road America website and pre-paid by competitor)
    • $200 credit for reserving and participating in SCCA-sanctioned test day on Monday, Sept. 21st (reserved directly through SCCA website)
    In addition to these benefits, American Honda will provide a catered hospitality tent on site,
    exclusively for Honda competitors and crew members. The tent will provide a lunch buffet from
    Tuesday, Sept. 22nd through Saturday, Sept. 26th.

Competitors may pick up their hospitality passes at the Honda Racing paddock area.
    Honda Performance Development (HPD) is Honda’s racing company within North America.
    Founded in 1993, and located in Santa Clarita, Calif., HPD is the technical operations center for
    Honda and Acura’s high-performance racing cars and engines. In addition to its new grassroots
    motorsports initiative, HPD is the single engine supplier to the IndyCar Series and competes in
    prototype sports-car racing under the Acura banner in the American Le Mans Series.

Contributing Member
    Liked: 86

$500 for starting? Wow, first time I've seen appearance money in a contingency program. Pretty cool. The parking reimbursements are neat too. Almost makes me wish I raced a Honda!
    Matt King
    FV19 Citation XTC-41
    CenDiv-Milwaukee
    KEEP THE KINK!

Liked: 42

That's the best contingency I can think of in club racing.

500 bucks for JUST STARTING at teh runoffs.
    100 bucks for parking
    200 bucks for testing.

Liked: 17

Whoa!
    Bob McCown
    Van Diemen RF81 #472 (2008-2013)
    Next ?
    2009 ARS CF
    "I barked twice." - Enzo (the dog)

Liked: 11

Default Contingency $

With the exception of the start/test money, this is the same contingency program Honda has had in place since at least 2006. A professionally written press release just gives the impression that it is all new.

In fact last year every particiapting manufacturer paid out more in contingency for a podium finish than Honda, including: Mazda (5k/2.5k/1.25k/Tow Fund), Toyota (3k/2k/1k Pole/Tow Fund), BMW (4k/2k/1k), GM (5k/3k/1k), Subaru (5k/2.5k/1k/500 Start/1k Pole), VW (5k/2.5k/1.25k).

They're selling the sizzle, but the steak is actually a lower grade than the competiton
    Peter Calhoun
    Motorsport Manager- Michelin North America, Inc.
    Swift DB1-86 FF1600 (bye-bye 3.12)
    2009-10 SCCA CM National Champions

Liked: 1417

And yet, still better than Ford's...

Liked: 238

By giving $500 to everyone who starts in a Honda, they may actually be spending more money than other manufacturers. PLUS, they are rewarding more competitors. I think it's a great program.
    Jim

I wish I understood everything I know.

Liked: 11

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garry View Post
    By giving $500 to everyone who starts in a Honda, they may actually be spending more money than other manufacturers. PLUS, they are rewarding more competitors. I think it's a great program.
    Yes, it's a strong foundation for a program and w/ start money to all it rewards more drivers, but Honda/Acura had only 32 entries at last years Runoffs spread over 5 classes:

T3 10
    SSC 7
    SSB 8
    GTL 5
    HP 2

That said, the press releases on the contingency program and the Fit motor proposal are doing exactly what was intended by there distribution; increasing brand awareness, improving corporate identity, and building brand loyalty for the Honda & Acura name plates within the influential enthusiast market segment, while making the programs seem larger in scope than they actually are.

This is what professional, well executed PR, does as part of a defined marketing strategy; you sell the sizzle.
    Peter Calhoun
    Motorsport Manager- Michelin North America, Inc.
    Swift DB1-86 FF1600 (bye-bye 3.12)
    2009-10 SCCA CM National Champions

Liked: 42

Quote Originally Posted by PCalhoun View Post
    With the exception of the start/test money, this is the same contingency program Honda has had in place since at least 2006. A professionally written press release just gives the impression that it is all new.

In fact last year every particiapting manufacturer paid out more in contingency for a podium finish than Honda, including: Mazda (5k/2.5k/1.25k/Tow Fund), Toyota (3k/2k/1k Pole/Tow Fund), BMW (4k/2k/1k), GM (5k/3k/1k), Subaru (5k/2.5k/1k/500 Start/1k Pole), VW (5k/2.5k/1.25k).

They're selling the sizzle, but the steak is actually a lower grade than the competiton

So out of those mfrs., who else other than Mazda had more than a handful of cars running.

800 bucks to pretty much everyone who shows up, parks, tests and races a Honda.

Going by your steak logic I see this as everyone gets some steak instead of 3 people getting some Filet Mignon.

Liked: 0

Last edited by old dog; 08.20.09 at 3:45 PM. Reason: wrong post

Contributing Member glenn cooper's Avatar
    Liked: 136

Default Ya know...

I could be swayed to put a CBR1000RR engine in my FB!

THAT'S a pretty kick ass deal. Start money, what a concept.
    Test day sponsorship - F'n unheard of.

Way to go, Big H; been a fan forever,

Current Stable:
    1969 Z50 Mini Trail
    1983 MOTRA
    1990 NS50
    1996 Z50
    2004 CRF100

Brand awareness? Yeah, I'm aware...

GC

Classifieds Super License stonebridge20's Avatar
    Liked: 1908

Quote Originally Posted by glenn cooper View Post
    I could be swayed to put a CBR1000RR engine in my FB!

THAT'S a pretty kick ass deal. Start money, what a concept.
    Test day sponsorship - F'n unheard of.

Way to go, Big H; been a fan forever,

Current Stable:
    1969 Z50 Mini Trail
    1983 MOTRA
    1990 NS50
    1996 Z50
    2004 CRF100

Brand awareness? Yeah, I'm aware...

GC
    Glenn, This is old news. Honda has had this in place for a while now. It's not even a great package. I know it's something and something is better than nothing but my last year racing a Nissan, I think they gave me something like $4,300 in "prizes", below cost on parts and free overnight shipping. $800 doesn't even get you a set of tires with mounting and balancing! Oh,...you will need to pay tax on that $800 also.
    Stonebridge Sports & Classics ltd
    15 Great Pasture Rd Danbury, CT. 06810 (203) 744-1120
    www.cryosciencetechnologies.com
    Cryogenic Processing · REM-ISF Processing · Race Prep & Driver Development

Quote Originally Posted by stonebridge20 View Post
    Glenn, This is old news. Honda has had this in place for a while now. It's not even a great package. I know it's something and something is better than nothing but my last year racing a Nissan, I think they gave me something like $4,300 in "prizes", below cost on parts and free overnight shipping. $800 doesn't even get you a set of tires with mounting and balancing! Oh,...you will need to pay tax on that $800 also.

I'd take the word "prizes" out of your post too, before the IRS see's it. They consider it income. I have a friend who won a vette..... ended up costing him $17,000 in taxes - Including income tax.

Liked: 23

Quote Originally Posted by speedydaz View Post
    I'd take the word "prizes" out of your post too, before the IRS see's it. They consider it income. I have a friend who won a vette..... ended up costing him $17,000 in taxes - Including income tax.
    I'd rather have the $800 and pay the tax on it that collect what Ford's been offering us. Hell, feel free to give me the $800 you'd get and I'll cover the income tax on that too...

I'll also take a $75k Corvette off your hands for $17k in taxes...just because you have to pay tax on free money doesn't mean you shouldn't take free money...
    ------------------
    'Stay Hungry'
    JK 1964-1996 #25

Classifieds Super License stonebridge20's Avatar
    Liked: 1908

Quote Originally Posted by speedydaz View Post
    Um,....Full compliance audit? Yes. been there, done that. All "prize" money from Nissan and SCCA have, were and will be declared as income thank you very much!
    Stonebridge Sports & Classics ltd
    15 Great Pasture Rd Danbury, CT. 06810 (203) 744-1120
    www.cryosciencetechnologies.com
    Cryogenic Processing · REM-ISF Processing · Race Prep & Driver Development

Quote Originally Posted by TimW View Post
    I'd rather have the $800 and pay the tax on it that collect what Ford's been offering us. Hell, feel free to give me the $800 you'd get and I'll cover the income tax on that too...

I'll also take a $75k Corvette off your hands for $17k in taxes...just because you have to pay tax on free money doesn't mean you shouldn't take free money...

Hell yeah I'd pay the 17k too. Never said I wouldn't. Just sucks though.

Liked: 1

Well I know of one more Honda this year. I moved to HP this year and in a Honda at that. The parking and test day money would be reimbursement for out of pocket expenses for your 1099 employer, not income. The 500 could offset entry fees as well. And if this is old news for Honda drivers it's been kept pretty close to the vest. At least now they're telling everyone it's available to everyone and not just the select few in the know.

Thread Information