Liked: 0

Default DUMB decision!!!

I know this is a race furoum... & i heavily depend on it for updates, information & advise, but the joke forum was a fun distraction when the SNAFU's of racing got over welming. Where did the decision to close it come from!?!?! That is nuts!
    Stephen

Hard at Play Racing
    Crewing at it's Best!
    Hemmingway Said "the only true SPORTS are Bull Fighting, Mountain climbing & Auto Racing, Everything else is just a game."

Liked: 2

Default one of my good friends from apex sent me this

Hey Ron,

I've always loved all the apexspeed jokes, and can't wait to read some more.

I suggest you start a new thread,

Subject Line:

Joke thread II [WARNING: off color, read at your own risk]

There's a hundred people out there that will back you up, it's got the 'read at your own risk' disclaimer,' and besides that, I think the only types that could be offended, would be the overly sensitive, 'defensive' types.

I think you still should do it, and it will be a at least a place for people to discuss and give opinions about if it should continue or not.

I've always lived by one rule, 'don't be defensive unless you're guilty,' It's always given me a point to judge situations by.

or maybe take this tactic, start a poll:

1-yes I want the joke thread to continue
    2-No I don't want it to continue
    3-couldn't care less, do what you want
    4-I'm offended by everything, and such things shouldn't be allowed.

I told him that I would go for it.....
    So, at the risk of being banned from the site completely, what would you like me to do....

I agree, I was a little dissapointed in that decision. I too always looked at the new jokes as they became available. Greg

Liked: 76

Bring back the joke thread!!!
    Butch
    butch deer

Contributing Member formulasuper's Avatar
    Liked: 61

Default Bring it back

Bring back the joke tread. If you don't like it, just don't read it.
    Scott Woodruff
    83 RT5 Ralt/Scooteria Suzuki Formula S

(former) F440/F5/FF/FC/FA
    65 FFR Cobra Roadster 4.6 DOHC

Dear Doug,
    Can you share the reasoning behind shutting down the joke thread? It seems quite popular (I like it, too) and, if you must shut it down, perhaps sharing the reason(s) will make it more palatable?
    Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderG View Post
    Dear Doug,
    Can you share the reasoning behind shutting down the joke thread? It seems quite popular (I like it, too) and, if you must shut it down, perhaps sharing the reason(s) will make it more palatable?
    Thanks.
    I thought he was just joking.

Liked: 42

Quote Originally Posted by formulasuper View Post
    Bring back the joke tread. If you don't like it, just don't read it.

well said,

BRING IT BACK,
    FFCoalition.com
    Marc Blanc

Liked: 5

Hmmm, not sure about the software that runs this forum, but over on Lotustalk, very long threads have an adverse affect. Long running threads like a picture thread or joke thread are often closed once they reach another side and second thread is started. Just start a new one with a post that links back to the first thread and then keep going.
    Chris Ross
    09 NovaKBS F600 #36 Powered by '09 600 Suzuki GSX-R
    "If all else fails, immortality can always be assured by spectacular error." John Kenneth Galbraith

Liked: 713

Quote Originally Posted by lancer360 View Post
    Hmmm, not sure about the software that runs this forum, but over on Lotustalk, very long threads have an adverse affect. Long running threads like a picture thread or joke thread are often closed once they reach another side and second thread is started. Just start a new one with a post that links back to the first thread and then keep going.

That's not why it was shut down.
    Mike Beauchamp
    RF95 Prototype 2

Get your FIA rain lights here:
    www.gyrodynamics.net/product/cartek-fia-rain-light/

Liked: 309

Quote Originally Posted by Mike B View Post
    That's not why it was shut down.
    This was my reaction when I read that Doug had locked the thread. I am no computer expert, but I know that other forums routinely lock long threads to make life easier for the servers that have to dish them up.

If I'm out of line here, Doug can slap me down, but why not just start a "Jokes II" thread with the usual warnings?
    Stan Clayton
    Stohr Cars

Banned
    Liked: 1116

Yeah, I'm not easily offended. However, I find certain topics are in extremely poor taste...but guess what? I don't have to read them.

Bring the joke thread back! Please

Liked: 1417

It was MY decision to close the thread.

Against my better judgment, I let the thread continue on these forums a long time ago. Since then, I have received more than enough "suggestions" to get rid of it. Everything about the thread goes against all that I have ever tried to create here with ApexSpeed. It is sexist, racist, politically charged and really out of place here. I have always said, if you don't want your mother reading something you post, then don't post it on ApexSpeed. Frankly, much of what was in that thread is offensive to a lot of people who read this board.

I will let a new Joke Thread go in the Off Topic forum if it can stay at least somewhat clean and not tremendously offensive. Keep in mind that this forum isn't made up entirely of old, white males. And I don't want the boundaries pushed this time. Seriously, I don't want to see it here.

Amherst, New York but i left my heart in San Francisco
    Liked: 292

kudos to you Doug!

Thank you for sharing your thoughts, Doug. Your reasons make very good sense to me and I support your decision.

Contributing Member
    Liked: 482

There is a section of the local Sunday newspaper called the DOT, and it seems to recycle jokes on the Internet, some of which, while cleaned up, are worse that those I see here.

I am not sure using the mother rule works - my mother still does not get Monty Python.....

There is a "Report Post" feature. I wonder if anyone has used it. Don't want to have Doug turn into a censor, but there should be a way that if 10 people (just for example) report something it comes down.

I would hate to loose all the good jokes for the few that don't work.

BTW - Does anyone else think the "Think with your dipstick" commercials are a little weird?

ChrisZ
    Last edited by FVRacer21; 08.17.09 at 11:10 PM. Reason: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by FVRacer21 View Post
    Does anyone else think the "Think with your dipstick" commercials are a little wierd?
    Weird and unbelievably annoying.

Contributing Member
    Liked: 8

Default Where is your sense of humor?

Yes, the "think with your dipstick" commercials are weird and annoying, but they don't bother me nearly as much as those who can't take a joke! The world would be a far better place if more people learned to laugh instead of viewing everything as an insult! I'm sick of politically-correct pablum being passed off as prime rib.

Larry Oliver
    International Racing Products
    Larry Oliver

Liked: 121

Default good call

Good call Doug.
    Quote Originally Posted by Doug Carter View Post
    It was MY decision to close the thread.

Against my better judgment, I let the thread continue on these forums a long time ago. Since then, I have received more than enough "suggestions" to get rid of it. Everything about the thread goes against all that I have ever tried to create here with ApexSpeed. It is sexist, racist, politically charged and really out of place here. I have always said, if you don't want your mother reading something you post, then don't post it on ApexSpeed. Frankly, much of what was in that thread is offensive to a lot of people who read this board.

I will let a new Joke Thread go in the Off Topic forum if it can stay at least somewhat clean and not tremendously offensive. Keep in mind that this forum isn't made up entirely of old, white males. And I don't want the boundaries pushed this time. Seriously, I don't want to see it here.

Liked: 123

This saddens me a great deal. But I wasn't offended by any of the jokes. I wonder if this makes me offensive? Now I have to question my own morality. Now I'm sadder than I was when I started to write this.

Oh well.

Brian (now questioning my own mortality)

Liked: 1

I've been repeating these jokes at my local bar every Friday night since the thread started. After Doug's post I realized I spend every Friday night with a group of old white males.
    -----------------------------------------
    Geoff Rainville
    VanDiemen RF90 FF

Had I known this was this important to people, I'd have opened a Joke forum instead of a motorsports forum.

Contributing Member
    Liked: 86

Weird and unbelievably annoying.
    So annoying I have vowed NEVER to buy any Castrol oil, not matter how cheap it is on sale!
    Matt King
    FV19 Citation XTC-41
    CenDiv-Milwaukee
    KEEP THE KINK!

Liked: 238

I laughed out loud at a lot of those jokes but for many of them I just stared at the monitor wondering WTH? That last one was not a joke ... it was a political statement.

There are a lot of joke forums around I can go to. I agree with Doug's assessment.
    Jim

I wish I understood everything I know.

Liked: 1

Had I known this was this important to people, I'd have opened a Joke forum instead of a motorsports forum.

You could try to combine the two, but I think it's been done already:

http://www.fia.com
    -----------------------------------------
    Geoff Rainville
    VanDiemen RF90 FF

Quote Originally Posted by GeoffRain View Post
    You could try to combine the two, but I think it's been done already:

http://www.fia.com
    Now that was funny.

Default say WOW!

OK! I wasnt sure of the responce I was going to get when i started this thread! (I have seen people baned from sites for diasaggreeing with the top brass) & I was even caught off guard that it was taken down on moral grounds. I am also thrilled to see the responce & the willingness of the forum to allow its members to have a say in what is here, even when they dont like it. I have been in racing long enough to see both life ruled by committees & by benevolent dictators. Both have thier advantages & disadvantages. I am proud to be part of something that is willing to work with the desires of the members.
    Stephen

Hard at Play Racing
    Crewing at it's Best!
    Hemmingway Said "the only true SPORTS are Bull Fighting, Mountain climbing & Auto Racing, Everything else is just a game."

Thread Information