Liked: 1417

Post ApexSpeed, version 2.0

Welcome to the new and improved version of ApexSpeed.com. We were ahead of schedule today, and things were transitioning smoothly (when does that happen?), so we decided to go live a little sooner than originally planned.

This project has been almost 9 months in the making, having our first redesign comps done last November. In that time, there have been a lot of changes, including a new baby, who will be celebrating her 6 month birthday at the 40th Formula Ford Festival. The process has been long and hard, and sometimes unbelievably frustrating, but we finally got here. You have no idea how excited Kim and I are to be able to turn the new website on this evening.

There are a few new features you will find, most notably, the new ApexSpeed Portal front page. You can access this by clicking the new, wider header banner anywhere on the site, or by going directly to www.apexspeed.com and clicking the logo. It's a content-saturated leap-off page that will allow you to log in (if needed), search, browse the latest posts, particiate in the monthy user poll, and see our new news feed. There will also be new content visible form Speed.Blogs and user photo galleries, too. It will also be the home for a few new features as we move forward, too.

The most visible new site feature is the wider stance containing 4 new banner sizes and locations. New visibility for current and future advertisers will help ApexSpeed in leaps and bounds as we move forward. As always, we apprecaite you patronizing our sponsors and letting them know exactly how you feel about their support of ApexSpeed through their advertising. It helps keep this site running and growing, and free for all of its users.

Unfortunately, we will no longer support the graphic minimized "Steath" mode with the new layout, for various reasons. We're sorry for the inconvenience. There is always the RSS feed for those who want something really stripped down for speed.

So here we go, as we aproach our 10th birthday this fall, version 2.0 of ApexSpeed.com. We hope you like the improvements.

Doug & Kim
    ApexSpeed.com

Oh, and you might need to clear your browser cache or at the very least to a complete refresh to reload the new graphics on the new forum layout.

Liked: 42

Liked: 111

looking good!

Liked: 309

Doug, the top banner appears left justified while the threads are right justified. And since the top banner is wider than the threads, I can only see half of a thread when I open it in Firefox 3.0.11. Stan
    Stan Clayton
    Stohr Cars

Stan, I'm using 3.0.11 on a Mac, and we tested on PC/XP on 3.0.11, and we have zero alignment issues anywhere.

1) Full refresh the page (Ctrl+F5) to clear out old cached graphics.
    ...if it still is a problem, screen cap the page and mail to: doug@apexspeed.com

Same issue after repeated Ctrl-F5...email sent.

Have fun!
    Stan Clayton
    Stohr Cars

First, you have all of our forum sponsor's ad banners blocked.

Second, the whole forum is aligned properly, but the resolution on your monitor is restricting you from viewing the entire forum on your window. At less than 1000 pixels wide, this size is still smaller than the current industry standard. Unfortunately, this is the future of web design sizes, and it's a matter of putting down the rotary phones and 800 x 600 monitor view sizes to see what the rest of the world sees. Up the view resolution to at least 1000px wide on ye ol' CRT and you should be able to see everything without scrolling.

And stop blocking our ad banners!

In the first place, sonny, my monitor is set to 1024 wide. Rennie made me give up my VGA monitor last year...

In the second place, the hottest things in the interwebs is the new 9" diagonal netbooks. Before I wear this 12" screen out it will be back in fashion.

And finally, if I want to look at ads I'll buy a magazine...
    Stan Clayton
    Stohr Cars

Quote Originally Posted by Stan Clayton View Post
    In the first place, sonny, my monitor is set to 1024 wide. Rennie made me give up my VGA monitor last year...
    We just tested the site at all resolutions, and 1024 should have no issues whatsoever for viewing area. At 800 x 600, about 90% of the important sites on the internet are cut off to some degree, in the exact places that yours is cutting off ApexSpeed. I'd check the viewing resolution once and make sure you are at least 1024 x 768 at 72dpi.

And finally, if I want to look at ads I'll buy a magazine...
    I'll remember that when Dauntless needs to promote some new whizzy aero bits. Without our ad banner supporters, ApexSpeed doesn't exist.

Liked: 25

Looks good Doug! Really like that number 22 car on the banner!
    Dave

I thought you'd like that.

I know somebody else who will too! Thanks Doug!
    Dave

Don't forget to participate in the new July Reader Survey Poll on the portal front page, found here!

Default Portal!

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Carter View Post
    ...the portal front page, found here!
    Now that I finally found my way to the portal, I have to say that the v2.0 update rocks! Those who haven't tried, you should give the portal a look. My browser link has now been redirected from the forum front page to the portal. Very nice update indeed!

Thanks again for your tireless efforts!
    Chris Pruett
    Swift DB1

Thanks Chris. The easiest way to get to the portal page from anywhere on the site, is to just click the ApexSpeed logo at the top of every page. It will take you right there, and works really well as a nice command center for your forum browsing.

I'll be adding a few more little tweaks today as I get some time.

Classifieds Super License Rick Iverson's Avatar
    Liked: 649

Hey Buddy, you done good!
    V/r

Iverson

Contributing Member D.T. Benner's Avatar
    Liked: 2

Default Is this the....

....ApexSpeed version of the "Big Button Phone" for aging Baby Boomers?

Liked: 210

NICE job you guys. Looks really nice.

I know you don't care but, be aware the changes have had very little impact on load time for dial ups.

One thing, when I put my mouse over the upper Apexspeed banner is shows in the "where's it going box" at the bottom it says that it will take me to the portal. When I click (or double click) nothing happens. Using I.E. 8.0
    CREW for Jeff 89 Reynard or Flag & Comm.

Quote Originally Posted by rickb99 View Post
    One thing, when I put my mouse over the upper Apexspeed banner is shows in the "where's it going box" at the bottom it says that it will take me to the portal. When I click (or double click) nothing happens. Using I.E. 8.0

Same here.
    Dave

Liked: 78

Default Link for ads.

Is it possible for me to click somewhere that takes me to a page with all of your advertisers?

Quote Originally Posted by Jtovo View Post
    Is it possible for me to click somewhere that takes me to a page with all of your advertisers?
    It's in the works, and next on the list of things to do. We're trying to work it out so that the click-throughs don't screw up the actual statistics for the main banners and give us (and the sponsor) false numbers.

At this point, I'm having logistics problems making it work. Once I figure it out, there will be a link from the main "Advertising" page.

We're trying to replicate the problems here, but as neither of us use IE, it's a matter of getting the most current version to test it (we have tested through IE7 without issues).

More soon...

doug

Quote Originally Posted by Jtovo View Post
    That would be a GOOD THING.

There used to be a thread with all the banners in it but it's hard to find on occasion. When I'm looking for somebody specific I cycle pages until they come up.

I 'link button' taking you to a page that displays all advertisers banners would be nice. Maybe in Apexspeed version 2.1

Just stumbled upon a couple of pages that didn't get the graphics updates.

If you ues the little green letters at the top of each section to enter that topic section, MOST look correct. But, FB, FM and Vintage Major topic pages have the old format.

If you ues the little green letters at the top of each section to enter that topic section, MOST look correct. But, FB, FM and Vintage Major topic pages have the old format.

Got it... forgot to remove the OLD style from the system.

Also, after futzing with the concept for half of a year, and not getting anywhere, I threw something at the wall, and what do you know... it worked!

We now have a current and accurate list of advertisers and site sponsors that can be found by clicking the lime green button at the top of the "Advertising" page, or by heading there directly to this link.

This should everyone out, including the forum's advertisers.

Doug, I like that page.

But NO CIGAR just yet

If you left click on any of the banners instead of going to the advertisers site, it opens a new window and puts you on a page labeled ...... banner-placement.html.

If you right click on any banner and say open in a new window, it works fine.

Also and MORE important, if you're on the banner page and click up at the top in the Apex logo to return to the Forums... it does the same thing. Opens new window and displays banner_placement.html

That's the way it's working with I.E. 8.0

We're trying to replicate the problems here, but as neither of us use IE, it's a matter of getting the most current version to test it (we have tested through IE7 without issues).

More soon...

doug

Clicking on the main Apexspeed banner now takes me to the portal in IE8 with XP Pro, XP Home and Windows 7 now.
    Dave

If you left click on any of the banners instead of going to the advertisers site, it opens a new window and puts you on a page labeled ......banner-placement.html.
    Fixed. Thanks for finding that. I had an errant pop-up window script in the page that I use for templates. Whoops.

Should be fixed, as well.

when I put my mouse over the upper Apexspeed banner is shows in the "where's it going box" at the bottom it says that it will take me to the portal. When I click (or double click) nothing happens. Using I.E. 8.0
    This is fixed, too. Seems to be a problem in IE8 and Safari 4.0.* with image maps for buttons and links. We did kind of a ghetto work-around for it, but it should be working now.

Rick, have you tried to use Firefox yet? In researching these issues, it appears as though IE8 is not really all that sorted out, and fairly bug-ridden. Kim tested it using XP and it's a complete pig. Typical Microsoft, though...

...Rick, have you tried to use Firefox yet? ...
    Well, no I haven't, Doug.

I know Firefox is very popular among the more sophisticated Internet users.

Some stats show Firefox having a 47% share of the market and I.E. (versioin ALL the way from 7 up) having the same 47% share. Other statistical info shows Firefox at 40% and I.E. at 50%.

When I was doing some amateur web page stuff I always had a problem getting compatiblilty between I.E. and Netscape so I appreciate the struggle.

You must have some browser stats being collected on Apexspeed. I'm guessing the split is close to the stats ref'd above. So, better me finding stuff in I.E. to sorta help out (i.e. make your life miserable )

Actually found a stat that like 20% of people are still back on I.E. 6! I'm guessing in places like Tiera Del Fuego so, no worry's there

Liked: 3

You must have some browser stats being collected on Apexspeed. I'm guessing the split is close to the stats ref'd above. So, better me finding stuff in I.E. to sorta help out (i.e. make your life miserable )
    Here are the browser stats for June. As you can see, IE 8 doesn't even show up on the graph. I did PC testing in Mozilla 5.x and IE 7, thinking that lots of folks don't really use IE 8 (based on our stats). It's possible that they're lumping in IE 8 with IE 7, though, since IE 8 doesn't even show up in the raw list of browsers lumped into the "Other" category.

Liked: 17

Is there a way to get a list of all advertisers? I'd really like to patronize Apexspeed advertisers first, if possible.
    Bob McCown
    Van Diemen RF81 #472 (2008-2013)
    Next ?
    2009 ARS CF
    "I barked twice." - Enzo (the dog)

Yupper, click "Advertising" up in the site header, then click the lime green button on the ad stats page that says, "CURRENT APEXSPEED ADVERTISERS."

Tell those sponsors that you appreciate their support of ApexSpeed.com, too.

Considering 59% of the hits are from I.E. 6's and 7's I'm gonna guess at something. Looks like 59% of the people use the browser that first opened in their computer when they purchased it and never change untill they buy a new computer.

Only reason I'm using I.E. 8.0 is the admin on our ICSCC Forum said it was a great improvement over 7.0. Well, IMO it ain't much different. Got more complex in ways but no speed up or any difference in the controls or 'look' to the browser window. Yes, wouldn't be surprised if it's lumped in with 7.0 hits.

Liked: 4

Default A nice addition?

I like the updates to the site, particularly the larger advertising banners.

I noticed that on the portal page if you click on one of the recent threads it takes me to the first post in the thread. For long threads then have to click on the appropriate page and then scroll down. Perhaps the recent threads should take you to the new reply?

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by PaulT View Post
    I like the updates to the site, particularly the larger advertising banners.

I noticed that on the portal page if you click on one of the recent threads it takes me to the first post in the thread. For long threads then have to click on the appropriate page and then scroll down. Perhaps the recent threads should take you to the new reply?

Paul

Thanks Paul,

As with any main site thread listing, if you click the , it will take you directly to the last post in the thread, no matter how long the thread is.

Hope this helps,

doug

Liked: 4

Default Oh

So that's what that little dohickey is for...

Paul

Thread Information